help with my new 211 E55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 01:28 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w211 E55
help with my new 211 E55

Is there anyone that owns an 03 up E55 AMG that would be willing to take time out of thier day to come and take a look at mine and tell me if it is on par with others of comparable miles. I live in El Segundo.It is an 04. I bought it from Fletcher Jones (which I have now heard is a rip). It has 50K miles. It is CPO with a 12 month/100K warranty. I drive just about 1/4 mile to work. I get there at 6:00AM. When I brought a few buddies out today (@about 8:00AM )to check it out and I popped the hood and we were commenting on the supercharger. I felt it and noticed it was still hot as hell. I had an 03 cobra with an eaton aka heaton roots type blower and it was not nearly this hot at all, granted it did have a heat extractor hood, but still this does not seem normal to me. I just want an opinion from someone who drives these cars so if there is a problem, I can know and take it in for warranty work. Thx, any advice is appreciated.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
My engine stays extremely hot for awhile after i turn it off. It's normal.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BMW and Mercedes
A blower should be getting hot if in use, and not just from heat soak from the engine.....just the compression of air will generate serious heat at moderate boost.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:55 AM
Almost a Member!

Unlike other superchargers, don't forget coolant flows through the supercharger, so at the minimum the charger will be as hot as the coolant that goes through it.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:53 PM
Almost a Member!

w211 E55
My 03 cobra had a roots type and I've known many people with whipples and kenne bell twin screws which were both manufactured by Lysholm (the same manufacturer of the AMG compressor)up until around 8 or 9 months ago. These cars also utilize an air to water intercooler. These cars cooled off very quickly comparably. Like I said, my car sat over night, I woke up, drove it around 1/4 or 1/8 mi. and two hours later, The supercharger was still hot enough to almost not be able to put my hand on it. Does anyone know the adiabatic effeciency of the supercharger on our cars? Because when I let off the throttle, I think I can feel parasitic drag of the supercharger slowing me down. Sorry about all the questions, I'm new to the AMG scene but am pretty knowledgeable about supercharged and turbo vehicles. FYI my handle, turbineexpert, doesn't refer to automotive turbos, more the jet engine type, or type used to generate power. As always, any insight is appreciated.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:19 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
If you really want to know what up, get a datalogger and track your temps. A less quantitative way is to take it out and do a few blasts. If it is having heating issues, (pump failure), the SC will shut off and you will know for sure.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Originally Posted by turbineexpert
Is there anyone that owns an 03 up E55 AMG that would be willing to take time out of thier day to come and take a look at mine and tell me if it is on par with others of comparable miles. I live in El Segundo.It is an 04. I bought it from Fletcher Jones (which I have now heard is a rip). It has 50K miles. It is CPO with a 12 month/100K warranty. I drive just about 1/4 mile to work. I get there at 6:00AM. When I brought a few buddies out today (@about 8:00AM )to check it out and I popped the hood and we were commenting on the supercharger. I felt it and noticed it was still hot as hell. I had an 03 cobra with an eaton aka heaton roots type blower and it was not nearly this hot at all, granted it did have a heat extractor hood, but still this does not seem normal to me. I just want an opinion from someone who drives these cars so if there is a problem, I can know and take it in for warranty work. Thx, any advice is appreciated.
Turbine Expert,
Hot as hell? time to break out your fancy infrared thermometer and give us a real temp. I would call mine warm right after hwy run @ 70 mph, 120 degrees and that is stop the car, pop hood and touch blower. If the car sits the heat (and we all know what direction it goes) that is in the heads is conducted through the intake runners, they are also the support/ mount for the S/C. Some have installed insulators that go in-between the intake and head. To compare the roots to lysholm, A stock Detroit Diesel 6-71 has an adiabatic efficiency of 55% if you blue print and Teflon 63% the lysholm superchargers are in the 80% range in OEM finish.

BTW what turbine is your primary expertise in?
I have done a number of aeroderivative gas turbine yacht projects.
GE LM-1500 (AKA J79 W/power turbine from MTU) net. 12,700 hp, Allison 501 KB5 5,800 HP, Lycoming TF-40 4000 HP.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:35 AM
Almost a Member!

w211 E55
SWPC V machines are my favorite and part of the reason I bought a benzo. I have seen thier superior craftmanship in all things mechanical and was thinking they could build an engine. They over engineer everything. These are German designed and built "Siemens" gas turbines coming in at about 160,000HP for the smaller ones.