Sponsored by:

Tranny got stuck in 4th gear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A slow Tahoe!
Tranny got stuck in 4th gear

Hey guys is this normal - Today was my first long road trip and while traveling about 75 I kicked it and of course it dropped down into 4th, I ran it up to about 120 or 130 and then let off before it shifted into 5th, thinking it would shift into Drive and the rpm's would drop down own it's own. It stayed in 4th while off the gas until my speed got back to around 90 and then shifted into 5th. I did a second pull the same as the first and it did the same thing, this time I got back on the gas just a little hoping it would shift into 5th, it didn't the rpm's just went back up and I ran out of real estate. I know I let off right when it was going to shift, but shouldn't have shifted on it's own. Thanking you in advance for your help.

Last edited by E55BKS; 07-29-2007 at 08:58 PM.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:58 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
If your sifter was in S mode, that may explain it. Depending on how the car has been "trained", it holds a gear for a bit after you let go of the gas. I like that feature, since there are so many times that I have to let off for a sec just before getting back on it. This way, I don't have to use manual mode. Play with it some more and see if that is it. Basically, when you are just accelerating, it should go through the gears, but on the punch it will hold for a few seconds. Could that be it?
It doesn't sound like you have technical issues. If the car was falling into limp mode, it would top out in 3rd, not 4th.

Good luck!!
Old 07-30-2007, 07:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A slow Tahoe!
Originally Posted by jangy
If your sifter was in S mode, that may explain it. Depending on how the car has been "trained", it holds a gear for a bit after you let go of the gas. I like that feature, since there are so many times that I have to let off for a sec just before getting back on it. This way, I don't have to use manual mode. Play with it some more and see if that is it. Basically, when you are just accelerating, it should go through the gears, but on the punch it will hold for a few seconds. Could that be it?
It doesn't sound like you have technical issues. If the car was falling into limp mode, it would top out in 3rd, not 4th.

Good luck!!
As a matter of fact I did have it in S mode, I'll try it today in C mode.

SleeperX suggested I reset the ECU, I'm going try that also.

1. Turn the ignition key to the on (not start) position.

2. Press the gas pedal to the floor and hold for five seconds.

3. Turn the key to the "off" position (don't remove the key), then release the gas pedal.

4. Wait at least two minutes for ECU to reset.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by E55BKS; 07-30-2007 at 05:31 PM.