W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

E63 decklid scratched from Griots Garage Microfiber Wash Mop! Any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2007 | 04:38 PM

E63, SL 550 Sport,C63 Coupe On the Way!!
E63 decklid scratched from Griots Garage Microfiber Wash Mop! Any suggestions?

Hi i have purchased items from Griots for many years and they have good stuff. Last week I was browing the catalog and saw their Microfiber Mop Kit

part # 78306

Now I already used their microfiber mits and said this new stick would make things even easier.

Well it arrived last week and its made well stainless steel with an aluminum mop head. Now the microfiber covers are not even close to the ones they sell as a wash mit the fibers are not close together and there is no padding between the aluminum backing plate and the slip on cover.

I called them Friday questioning why there is no padding because there are velcro strips on the aluminum but i thought i was missing a part. The confirmed no. Now on the edges of the rectangle aluminum head they have 2 blue plastic edge protectors but they are not held on good and flex like rubber exposing the sharp aluminum edge.They have two rivits er side and one side shows the plastic is broken when it was rivited, very hard to see but it is broken.

Long story short my rear decklid is now scratched badly from this product right near the rear plate. I took photos and showed them and i am overnight sending the product back now. Inside the wash mit was the sliver of black paint. Clearly this was defective and poorly designed. They tell me today they use the same mop head for their floor system i was like what the hell you have to have padding if you have metal hitting the car. Meguiars made one which i broke it was plastic and it was by far better with a padded sheepskin head.

Body shop can remove the plastic panel and paint so i wont be down with the car but its so aggravating.

Do you think a company like Griots will cover me here? What should my course of action be? Evidence can not be clearer than what it is.
Old 07-30-2007 | 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
I think that's case for a recall right there. I'm not familiar with the litigious aspects of such a case but I'd imagine the design flaw is apparent enough for you to have grounds for some sort of compensation.

Anything metal touching your paint is going to scratch it. Hell, anything sharp will, its just the way of things. I'm surprised griots would put out a product like that, especially coming from the resto-rod corner of the business, with all those extremely expensive Barrett-Jackson jobs.
Old 07-30-2007 | 05:35 PM

thats exactly what i said what if some guy ruined his 300k plus show car Ferrari.

If Fed Ex didnt pick it up i would have snapped some good photos to post here.

What got me is that they use the mop base from another application and for sure that is where the problem rises. Its made very well why did they skimp out and put no protective rubber or padding is beyond me.

stainless steel handle, solid aluminum backing plate is like overkill for a $30 product, and the best part there is velcro on the backing plate for something. Like my professional DEWALT buffer has a metal backing plate with .50 foam and velcro and it offers perfect protection.

Hope they compensate me for this BS.

I actually enjoy detailing my car on my days off.
Old 07-31-2007 | 07:20 PM

'11 997.2 Carrera GTS
In the catalogs they portray Mr Griot as someone that is fanatical about car care and quality so I'd try to see if you are able to reach him about your problem.
Old 07-31-2007 | 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 AMG C63 S
Hire a lawyer and have him/her write a letter that requests a reimbursement of your cost and give them a few weeks to cut you a check. They will pay off like a slot machine.

If not, have the same lawyer rip 'em a new poop hole..... I mean that I don't think it is funny!

I am absolutely appalled that they could put out such a POS product. Good luck.
Old 08-06-2007 | 09:06 PM

Griots is covering the damage. They first offered me $500 gift certificate but since i paid cash i said i would just like a check.

They are cuttimg me a check for $390 and refunded my credit card for the mop.

Awesome customer support. They have now pulled the product from their line and are working on a redesign with the manufacture.

Well Done!
Old 08-06-2007 | 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
you may want to go check out autopia.org and see if anyone there has similiar experience in the product/general detailing forum.