e55 transmission problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 CLK63 BS
e55 transmission problems

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, but I recently purchased a 2004 e55 and it seems to have a problem shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear. All the other gears seem to shift pretty well, but there is often a 5 to 15 second delay between 2nd and 3rd. Even in M mode, it would say that 3rd gear is selected, but it would still be in 2nd. Anyone have any idea as to what the problem might be? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 08-01-2007, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by slacker55
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, but I recently purchased a 2004 e55 and it seems to have a problem shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear. All the other gears seem to shift pretty well, but there is often a 5 to 15 second delay between 2nd and 3rd. Even in M mode, it would say that 3rd gear is selected, but it would still be in 2nd. Anyone have any idea as to what the problem might be? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!
time to use the warranty...

I have my car in the shop for jerky transmission and I'm getting a new tranmission and torque coverter.

I will post my service print out once i pick up the car.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:46 PM

08 CLK63 BS
Smile

Thanks Topgun, my warranty is almost up anyway so I might as well try to make the most of it. I also noticed that on 4th gear, it often makes this wierd "wheezing" sound when I'm going slow. I thought that maybe it was normal, but it only makes that sound on 4th gear. Hopefully I'll be able to replace as much as possible before the warranty expires...then I will mod the s*@t out of the car.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:35 AM

03' E55 AMG/97' M3/03' Navigator
Good morning guys, I hope that this thread is still good for the transmission problems, I need to know if anyone has the droning problem coming from the rear of the car. It started with the Valeo or what ever radiator problem with fluid leaking into the transmission. There was a TB on this not a recall. The certified Tech. did the test for glycol and found small traces. They flushed the transmission and replaced the radiator. They dropped the pan and no metal in the collector so they told me the Transmission is good. But after I got it back about a month later it started droning and some vibration, droning noise coming from rear again and seems as though it doesn't want to shift gears to third until I apply more gas to it...I took it back to Larry's Mercedes Import and they said it may need a torque converter ...SO after spending $1600.00 the first visit and now they want to charge me $1490.00 for replacement of a torque converter...Does anyone have an idea what may be my next step? and No my warranty expired about a year ago...
Old 12-23-2010, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

good timing on this thead..

2 years and 4 months later.. car is back in for the symptoms you describe.

Dealer said the coolant is leaking to the trans. So it means that they did not follow their own Tech Bullitin when my transmission and torque converter was replaced.

drone.. exhaust note changed at lower rpms
vibration from rear at lower speeds
thump noise from rear

The only problem this time is that I have chrysler warranty and for the 1st time they are sending an inspector.

I'm afraid my IC coolant reservoir will be a issue with the inspector. My pulley is stock looking and I have some slight exhaust mods (2nd cat delete and x pipe).

I'm praying that they don't play hard ball and deny my claim. In that case I will use my legal options to go after Chrysler or MB dealer since they failed to replace my bad radiator 2.4 years ago.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:10 PM

2005 C230WZ, 2004 E55, 2004 Audi S4
OH BOY... SIMILAR problems here. I had my side axle seals replaced. Rear diff. still leaks after being driven for a length of time, or driven hard (ISH). Diff sweats in the colder air.

I have a light drone and big vibration/rumble @ highway speed under load. (heavier throtle 65-80). Car clunks down into first when slowing to 25mph up a hill near the house. Does it EVERY time. Only place I can get it to duplicate it.. maybe it's just a bad spot for the car??

I hope is just a clogged breather on the rear diff. But sounds like it's much worse. NO WARRANTY.... @!#$%!
Old 12-26-2010, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have to thank GOD for this one..

inspector approved the work and I have a new radiator, trans and tq convertor..

the total bill was $7k. I paid $100 out of my pocket.

my service advisor did mention that they had to hide the additional reservoir for my IC coolant. I'm not sure how they did it, since its located inside the engine bay in the place of the "cabin air filter" area. On top of the secondary battery.

my advisor said "they probably would of denied your claim if they had seen that mod.. but we made our best to hide it".

needless to say...i'm very pleased with Penske MB in West Covina and Charles Cha for helping me out.

So far.. warranty has paid $17k to keep my car up and running.

If I had no warranty, I would let my bank repo this car.. and save my cash to buy a pre owned with warranty.