Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

flat tire = stress

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
flat tire = stress

got a flat tire today and decided to put on the spare. ....now i have changed more tires than i can count and i figure this would be another unremarkable adventure but things turned bad from the get-go. First my floor jack decided it didnt want to work. Then I made the terrible mistake to use the "jack" the car has. I jack up the car and remove the bolts and try to pop the wheel off but the jack all of sudden shifts and now my car is resting on the caliper! Now I'm going crazy trying to jack up the car again and am soo worried I completely screwed up the rear caliper. Got the car back up, inspected the caliper and it looks mechanically fine though there is a scratch on it ! Took the car out for a test drive and everything seemed to be working fine. Luckily I have a service appt on Monday.

Anything you guys think i should be looking for? Bent caliper pins?

Owning these types of cars is soo stressful! If this happened to my beater Honda my blood pressure wouldn't be through the roof right now!
Old 08-04-2007, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E55 AMG
i dont know what you should be looking for, but i definately feel your stress.

I got a flat a few weeks ago. No spare, but ive got tirefit!

My god was that smile gone quickly.

The stupid connection between the connector that goes on the valve and the host wasn't sealed, so it blew liquid rubber crap all over my tire, rim, brakes, all inside my wheel arches, my cloths, and my best friend.

Go figure. I then called mercedes assistance, who said that was impossible (they literally said it was impossible!!!), and after some harsh words from my part decided to show up to teach me how to screw on a connector. The guy was confuddled, so we towed it to the workshop, where he repaired the tire which held for all of 30km (i didnt even get home). I had to get my pride and joy towed home, and when i jacked it up using the "jack" the car has, only to have it sink through the tarmac (hot day).

When i jack my car up now, i use a proper floor jack (big red thing that weighs 17kg and lives in my trunk), AND proper supports that can catch the car if the jack fails.

Paranoid? Maybe, but i really dont want to drop my car....

Sorry for the long post, i just found that i could relate... I hope your car is OK, and im really glad that you didnt drop it on your hand or something. THAT would have been bad...

edit: mercedes wants to sell me a new tirefit kit. FAT CHANCE! Can you believe the arrogance?

Last edited by narf; 08-04-2007 at 06:37 PM.