Notices
W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Datalog result

 
Old 08-05-2007, 01:34 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: San Diego.Ca
Posts: 372
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K3 05 E55 sold, 09 GL550
Datalog result

Just bought the scanner tool to datalog the IAT of my K2 E55

plus 10cfan,PTE160 stat, C090 Johnson pump

outside temp was 82 to 85 degree .I drove while biturboAMG sat on the driver side checked the scanner's code

On the hard run from light to light (0 to 100MP) never go over 130 .

On highway run the IAT reached about 110 and down 105

The coolant temp was 190 or 192 all the time

I don't know is that the normal or not can someone tell me pls .Hope Biturbo chime in and tell you guys more about this. Thanks
sang55 is offline  
Old 08-05-2007, 01:43 AM
  #2  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Jrocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: So.Ca.
Posts: 3,042
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Those numbers look good too me.The rule is 20 degrees over ambient at cruising speeds,if Im not mistaken.I could be wrong though.

I know that some guys reach 140 at the end of a hard run but they also run low 11's or even mid 10's.

I'd be happy with the results you got.
Jrocket is offline  
Old 08-05-2007, 01:47 AM
  #3  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
chiromikey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,561
Received 165 Likes on 130 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
did you do any back to back runs? that's where the heat soak starts to set in.
chiromikey is offline  
Old 08-05-2007, 01:49 AM
  #4  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Jrocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: So.Ca.
Posts: 3,042
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Ahh Mikey.
Jrocket is offline  
Old 08-05-2007, 01:50 AM
  #5  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
chiromikey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,561
Received 165 Likes on 130 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by Jrocket View Post
Think he said 82-85.
lol, i edited my post and beat you to it.
chiromikey is offline  
Old 08-05-2007, 01:50 AM
  #6  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Jrocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: So.Ca.
Posts: 3,042
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by chiromikey View Post
lol, i edited my post and beat you to it.

Look again !!!!!!!!
Jrocket is offline  
Old 08-05-2007, 01:51 AM
  #7  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
chiromikey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,561
Received 165 Likes on 130 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by Jrocket View Post
Look again !!!!!!!!
chiromikey is offline  
Old 08-05-2007, 01:52 AM
  #8  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Jrocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: So.Ca.
Posts: 3,042
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
The 160 T-stat is one mod that Im not sold on yet.
Jrocket is offline  
Old 08-05-2007, 02:00 AM
  #9  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
chiromikey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,561
Received 165 Likes on 130 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by Jrocket View Post
The 160 T-stat is one mod that Im not sold on yet.
imho, it's a trade off. i think it's beneficial if you haven't separated the i/c and engine cooling circuits because you need every advantage to keep iat's down to make power. once you separate the systems, keeping the engine coolant temp around 180 is probably more efficient for making power.
chiromikey is offline  
Old 08-05-2007, 02:07 AM
  #10  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Jrocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: So.Ca.
Posts: 3,042
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by chiromikey View Post
imho, it's a trade off. i think it's beneficial if you haven't separated the i/c and engine cooling circuits because you need every advantage to keep iat's down to make power. once you separate the systems, keeping the engine coolant temp around 180 is probably more efficient for making power.
Thats more of the lines I was thinking.
Jrocket is offline  
Old 08-05-2007, 09:38 PM
  #11  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 171
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 E55, 07 SL65, 06 S4
This conclusion makes no sense to me, the discussion of separated coolant circuit never did: Why would DC put a separate cooler in for the intercooler if its just regular coolant? Why not increase the radiator, forget the intercooler heat exchanger. Moreover, if he runs coolant temp of around 190, how can the IAT be 140?
The way the coolant circiuit apparently works is that the coolant for the engine and the IC do not mix, but the connection is simply to have only one reservoir to keep both radiators supplied.
Make a test yourself: From a cold start, make a run without S/C engagement for about 10 minutes, open the hood and touch the 2 metal pipes that connect the S/C IC - they are cold to the touch - at least in my car, even if the coolant temp is hot. Ergo, they don't mix.

Originally Posted by chiromikey View Post
imho, it's a trade off. i think it's beneficial if you haven't separated the i/c and engine cooling circuits because you need every advantage to keep iat's down to make power. once you separate the systems, keeping the engine coolant temp around 180 is probably more efficient for making power.
CA_E55 is offline  
Old 08-05-2007, 09:55 PM
  #12  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Jrocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: So.Ca.
Posts: 3,042
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by CA_E55 View Post
This conclusion makes no sense to me, the discussion of separated coolant circuit never did: Why would DC put a separate cooler in for the intercooler if its just regular coolant? Why not increase the radiator, forget the intercooler heat exchanger. Moreover, if he runs coolant temp of around 190, how can the IAT be 140?
The way the coolant circiuit apparently works is that the coolant for the engine and the IC do not mix, but the connection is simply to have only one reservoir to keep both radiators supplied.
Make a test yourself: From a cold start, make a run without S/C engagement for about 10 minutes, open the hood and touch the 2 metal pipes that connect the S/C IC - they are cold to the touch - at least in my car, even if the coolant temp is hot. Ergo, they don't mix.
They do mix,the entire system is using the same coolant,Ic and engine.

Last edited by Jrocket; 08-05-2007 at 10:12 PM.
Jrocket is offline  
Old 08-05-2007, 10:00 PM
  #13  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
juicee63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Hollywood CA
Posts: 6,944
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by Jrocket View Post
They do mix,the entire system is suing the same coolant,Ic and engine.
man lawyers have wrecked the earth
suing coolent how tragic
juicee63 is offline  
Old 08-05-2007, 10:12 PM
  #14  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Jrocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: So.Ca.
Posts: 3,042
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by juicee63 View Post
man lawyers have wrecked the earth
suing coolent how tragic
Yeah yeah...coolent!
Jrocket is offline  
Old 08-05-2007, 10:13 PM
  #15  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,463
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
How beneficial is seperating the coolant systems? If the radiator uses the thermosat (particualry PTE's 160 thermostat) I assume that it keeps the coolant around 160 degrees.

Now what regulates the coolant in the seperated system for the I/C. I would think that ideally you would want this coolant to flow as cool as possible without freezing at all times. Is it possible to have a seperate thermostat for this system. Has anyone done any testing to determine the temperature differences in a seperated coolant system.
SleeperX is offline  
Old 08-05-2007, 10:22 PM
  #16  
Out Of Control!!
 
jangy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: San Diego
Posts: 13,394
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 S212
Those numbers look spot on to me.

As far as the separation, keep one thing in mind. The desired rates of heat exchange are different for a motor than they are for the IC. As it is, the unit simply does not cool off fast enough for repeated blasts. By separating the two, you can run one at max exchange and one at tuned exchange. A no brainer for me is putting in the marine pump and wiring it to run all the time.
jangy is offline  
Old 08-05-2007, 11:13 PM
  #17  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Salt Lake City (but not Morm)
Posts: 7,092
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
+1.

Get some back to back hard runs and see what IATs do.

So far looks great!
Jakpro1 is offline  
Old 08-06-2007, 01:25 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: San Diego.Ca
Posts: 372
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K3 05 E55 sold, 09 GL550
I did 5 or 6 miles on the local road ( from light to light 0 to 100 miles ) my C090 Johnson pump wire directly so the pump works when turn on the engine .

BTW I will have some more run back this weekend and see how it does
sang55 is offline  
Old 08-06-2007, 01:39 AM
  #19  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
chiromikey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,561
Received 165 Likes on 130 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by CA_E55 View Post
This conclusion makes no sense to me, the discussion of separated coolant circuit never did: Why would DC put a separate cooler in for the intercooler if its just regular coolant? Why not increase the radiator, forget the intercooler heat exchanger. Moreover, if he runs coolant temp of around 190, how can the IAT be 140?
The way the coolant circiuit apparently works is that the coolant for the engine and the IC do not mix, but the connection is simply to have only one reservoir to keep both radiators supplied.
Make a test yourself: From a cold start, make a run without S/C engagement for about 10 minutes, open the hood and touch the 2 metal pipes that connect the S/C IC - they are cold to the touch - at least in my car, even if the coolant temp is hot. Ergo, they don't mix.
after a 10 minute run without the s/c engaging the i/c pump probably hasn't come on and it's possible that the thermostat hasn't opened to allow coolant flow either so i'm not sure your test is valid. however i do understand that the t-connection is not large and cross contamination may not be rampant, but there is no check valve so the two systems definitely mix.
chiromikey is offline  
Old 08-06-2007, 01:45 AM
  #20  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
chiromikey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,561
Received 165 Likes on 130 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by e55 killer View Post
I did 5 or 6 miles on the local road ( from light to light 0 to 100 miles ) my C090 Johnson pump wire directly so the pump works when turn on the engine .

BTW I will have some more run back this weekend and see how it does
max iat on 5-6 back to back 0-100 runs will tell you the truth about i/c efficiency. logging engine temps, iat's, load, throttle postion, rpm's, timing, manifold pressure, along with ambeint conditions will give you lots of good info to analyze.
chiromikey is offline  
Old 08-06-2007, 07:54 AM
  #21  
PTE
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
PTE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: S.E. FLA.
Posts: 1,224
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
05 ML-500 , 03 CLK5.5 AMG has left the Garage
PTE's 160* T-stat

I have made some changes to the current t-stat mod to help with cold regions & where the inter cooler system has been seperated from the engine coolant. That seperating the 2 systems has lessened that demand on the engine cooling system. I was told of some CELs. Most were engine coolant up to temp ,not in the required time valve. Not so much it was not up to temp. So i reduced the air bleed / bypass vent. Now the engine runs from 180*F - 187 *F instead of 207 *F - 215 *F. I'm trying to make a common modded stat to fit MOST applications . You guy's have always provided very good & valuable input. Went the weather cools down The motor should run closer to 180*F. Remember that the 160* is base measured on a SAE standard , of air temp of 77* F ,Our cars Have a OEM t-stat of 195* F / 87*C Hope this helps Thanks again ___PTE___
PTE is offline  
Old 08-06-2007, 08:04 AM
  #22  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
stevebez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, UK
Posts: 3,004
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
I think a true test of cooling is running car to the limiter (if you have one ).

IAT's rocket above 110 mph... and dont stop climbing.... if you can get them to plateau you are doing a fabulous job...
stevebez is offline  
Old 08-06-2007, 08:08 AM
  #23  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,463
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by SleeperX View Post
How beneficial is seperating the coolant systems? If the radiator uses the thermosat (particualry PTE's 160 thermostat) I assume that it keeps the coolant around 160 degrees.

Now what regulates the coolant in the seperated system for the I/C. I would think that ideally you would want this coolant to flow as cool as possible without freezing at all times. Is it possible to have a seperate thermostat for this system. Has anyone done any testing to determine the temperature differences in a seperated coolant system.
SleeperX is offline  
Old 08-07-2007, 01:17 AM
  #24  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Jrocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: So.Ca.
Posts: 3,042
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by SleeperX View Post
How beneficial is seperating the coolant systems? If the radiator uses the thermosat (particualry PTE's 160 thermostat) I assume that it keeps the coolant around 160 degrees.

Now what regulates the coolant in the seperated system for the I/C. I would think that ideally you would want this coolant to flow as cool as possible without freezing at all times. Is it possible to have a seperate thermostat for this system. Has anyone done any testing to determine the temperature differences in a seperated coolant system.
There has been questions asked about flow rates for the IC unit's system but never any topics of thermostats for them.I dont really see the need for one? If the car is in low temp areas then an anitfreeze solution will be need in the winter but other than that,I think pure water and maybe water wetter might even help out.Thats a whole other debate there.

I think there has been some small testing on the seperation of the circuits,but mainly just a majority approval that its needed and its seems to work better [email protected] would be the guy who has numbers from testing if anybody.The obvious assumption is colder the water the colder the IAT's,but flow rate has been discussed here a few times before.We had talked about systems that use the johnson pumps,and adding a restrictor valve and temp guage to monitor the water temps at the IC core.There was some talk that the water might be flowing through the exchanger too fast and not letting the exchanger do its job to the fullest.If the water passes through to fast or too slow,the exchanger isnt doing its job correctly.Also we had talked about a sensor that monitored the water temps at the IC core and having the sensor regulate the restrictor valve to vary with the waters temps...but that was more complication than what we really need.Keep it simple,bigger pumps,add cooling surface and volume of systems capacity.
Jrocket is offline  
Old 08-07-2007, 06:10 AM
  #25  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,463
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by Jrocket View Post
There has been questions asked about flow rates for the IC unit's system but never any topics of thermostats for them.I dont really see the need for one? If the car is in low temp areas then an anitfreeze solution will be need in the winter but other than that,I think pure water and maybe water wetter might even help out.Thats a whole other debate there.

I think there has been some small testing on the seperation of the circuits,but mainly just a majority approval that its needed and its seems to work better [email protected] would be the guy who has numbers from testing if anybody.The obvious assumption is colder the water the colder the IAT's,but flow rate has been discussed here a few times before.We had talked about systems that use the johnson pumps,and adding a restrictor valve and temp guage to monitor the water temps at the IC core.There was some talk that the water might be flowing through the exchanger too fast and not letting the exchanger do its job to the fullest.If the water passes through to fast or too slow,the exchanger isnt doing its job correctly.Also we had talked about a sensor that monitored the water temps at the IC core and having the sensor regulate the restrictor valve to vary with the waters temps...but that was more complication than what we really need.Keep it simple,bigger pumps,add cooling surface and volume of systems capacity.
Thanks. Maybe I am confused here, but when you seperate the cooling system aren't you reducing the systems capacity? Basically splitting it in half. Why does Renntech not seperate the cooling system? (referring to the additional heat exchanger not their SLR intercooler)
SleeperX is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Datalog result


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: