Sponsored by:

german test: E55 vs. M5 and AUDI RS6

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2002, 06:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C-Class
german test: E55 vs. M5 and AUDI RS6

the video quality is not so good, but better than nothing.

they say the RS6 is the slowest (5.5sec 0-100km/h) but offers the best handling on track.

the M5 is old-school but very good (5.2sec) and handles easy. but to get the full power you have to switch off, DSC all the time.

the new E55 has the "non-plus-ultra" machine, (4.8sec) but requires an experienced driver without ESP (look at the slalom-test) comfort, quality and power are over it´s competitors.

here is the link:

http://www.kabel1.de/info/aa/autos_i...index.php?7553
Old 10-21-2002, 10:52 AM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
Very nice video, thanks for the link Felix
Old 10-22-2002, 12:33 AM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Very cool video, for those of you who dont speak German click on the above link and then click on the link titled:

Video Zum Beitrag

Its a great video of the three cars in the slalom, 0-60, braking and road handling.

I like the way the driver gets the E55 all loose in the slalom.
Old 10-22-2002, 01:49 AM

Doesn't play
Old 10-22-2002, 02:03 AM

Porsche Turbo Stage 4, Cayenne S ... gone C43, C32, ML55 & Ducati 999.
Thumbs up

Very nice video, thanks for the link Felix

Pierre32///AMG
Old 10-23-2002, 01:24 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Heck Yah....VERY VERY VERY VERY NICE VIDEO....WOW

I don't need to understand a word to watch that video. WOW....

WOW
WOW

BTW, if there is anyway to save that video, PLEASE let me know
Old 10-23-2002, 03:53 AM

Originally posted by FrankW
BTW, if there is anyway to save that video, PLEASE let me know
of course...

Right Click and Save Taget As (~4.8MB)

Tis is a very very nice video!! I just wish it was in a higher quality...

BTW: you need to use Real Player to view the clip
Old 10-23-2002, 09:05 AM

C-Class
Even better tanslation from bmwM5.com:

SPEED LIMOS IN THE COMPARISON:
RS6 AGAINST M5 AGAINST E55

They are to connect extreme sportiness with the advantages of large travel sedans. The new Mercedes E55 AMG with 476 HP meets the AUDI RS6 with 450 and the BMW M5 with 400 horse power.

First extreme examination: The 360 meter Slalomparcours.

360 METER SLALOM COURSE, SPRINT STRENGTH & ROAD PERFORMANCE

E55 AMG: The 360 meter Slalomparcours: Not the Mercedes Domaeme: Reason: After approximately 200 meters the servo support diminishes, which hardens steering element. Only with trouble the E55 can be directed then still around the suspension pylons. Without ESP it is only difficult for very experienced pilots to control and demands the driver visibly.

What keeps the Mercedes in track however is its parade discipline. Brachial presses the 5.5 litres of V8-Kompressor the Mercedes forward. From zero on one hundred only 4.8 seconds, speed 200 offense already reach it after 14.6 seconds. Topspeed: 250 km/h - electronically abgeregelt. With the Mercedes braked on the average 38 meters from one hundred on zero needs.

RS6: The AUDI RS6 makes the best impression in the Slalomparcours. Owing to its very direct and precise steering element he completes the hardness test very easy. With its all-wheel drive the AUDI krallt itself formally into the asphalt. Even with switched off ESP it shines by outstanding traction.

With the road performance measurements the RS6 misses however the factory specifications. In the print of kind of condition on 100 it needs 5.5 seconds. Until speed 200 is reached, further 12 seconds offense. Also the Ingolstaedter is electronically abgeregelt with 250 km/h. In astonishes the AUDI braked, although with 1915 Kilos the heaviest in the test it stands on the average after 37 meters.

M5: On the Slalomparcours also the BMW feels well. It remains always well controllable - with or without electronic driving assistance. The frontier is well it mobile. The steering element, similarly as those of the AUDI, very precisely. It does not harden also after many track switchings.

For the Sprint on 100 the BMW needs 5.3 seconds, however the experienced driver reaches this value only without electronic aids. DSC robs too much achievement from the engine. Despite nominal lowest HP number, of 50 less than with the AUDI, he lies in keeps in track in such a way before the RS6. In the delay the resident of Munich keeps up not completely with the competition. Its braking distance on the average: 39 meters - readjusting ABS causes the property against it by: The to be dosedness of the brake.

VISUAL DESIGN AND ENGINE CHARACTERISTICS
The three strongest German sport sedans. Everyone for itself a genuine Hingucker.

E55 AMG: The newest in the federation: the Mercedes Benz AMG E55. The strongest e-class of all times. Imposant the tail. Four final pipes and a again-formed tail apron. The interior used generously and nobly. The sport seats are not only offered to exzellenten side stop, also on long distances sits very comfortably. The steering wheel is pleasantly griffig. To switch the driver can also over buttons at the steering wheel back. The 8 cylinders compressor carries 476 HP out. Its torque is with sumptuous 700 Newtonmeters.

RS6: The AUDI works bullish and aggressively. It stands alternatively on 18 or 19 Wheels. R-S 6 emblem, the two oval final pots and the tail spoiler is witness of unrestrained strength. The interior works - by the pappel wood inserts - not completely as high-quality as with Mercedes and BMW. The actually good Recaro of sport seats suffers slightly by the too smooth leather purchase - offer somewhat little stop. Well: The broad switching jacks at the steering wheel. The heart of the RS 6: a Biturbo. The deeply grummelnde Bi-turbo carries 450 HP and 560 Newtonmeters out torque.

M5: One saw oneself not yet full: at the fastest fuenfer. In the back it stands on 275'er rollers. In the BMW it means: clean-set and probably-feel. Also at long-distance comfort it does not lack it. Desire-fully one zappt oneself by the six courses. The 5 litres suction engine brings 400 HP and 500 Newtonmeters to torque. Over the entire number of revolutions volume it tightens nearly greedily.

WINDING RACING COURSE
E55 AMG: The bear-strong Mercedes pushes its propulsion principle with rapid pace on the racing course to the borders. Its ESP brakes the driving joy, without the centrifuge brake is controllable it only for very experienced pilots. The guidance angle is here larger than with the competition. On long distances however the E55 drives itself silk-softly.

RS6: The AUDI lies on the Handlingparcours as on rails. It behaves easily under-steering to neutral. It from the trace to throw, is nearly impossible. Owing to its special DRC of absorption system mentioned it develops only very small side inclination. It unfolds its strength completely without turbo lag.

M5: Also the BMW offers a nearly perfect handling for sportily ambitionierte pilots. On the handling course the well co-ordinated switch makes for special fun. Easily unsteuernd into the curve purely and easily overriding again raus. Preset DSC is switched off. Additional praise gives for the steering element.

RESULT OF THE COMPARISON
M5: The BMW M5 is a sportsman of old school. Suction engine, transmissions and chassis prepare - with or without ESP much fun.

RS6: With the AUDI RS6 convince brakes, chassis, steering element and traction without reservation. In the road performances it can keep up however not completely with the competition.

E55 AMG: The engine of the E55 AMG is the Non plus Ultra, the Mercedes is the high-speed travel sedan. With him the electronics aids are however nearly indispensable, for the racing course are not made he.

There is the BMW starting from 74.500 euro, the AUDI starting from 86.500 euro and for the Mercedes must at least 87,580 euro be put down.
Old 10-23-2002, 12:46 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
thx for the translation
Old 11-09-2002, 06:04 PM

Porsche Turbo Stage 4, Cayenne S ... gone C43, C32, ML55 & Ducati 999.
Thanks for the Video and translation. .

Bye
Pierre32///AMG
Old 11-19-2002, 06:45 PM

what's "Non plus Ultra"?
Old 11-19-2002, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1996 C36 AMG, 1995 Volvo 850 Turbowagon
was it just me or did the audi "appear" to hold a tighter line than either rwd in the slalom? interesting clip...
Old 11-19-2002, 10:24 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally posted by steve s
was it just me or did the audi "appear" to hold a tighter line than either rwd in the slalom? interesting clip...
it's not you...

Audi did perform better in their slalom test...the power of 4wd
Old 11-19-2002, 10:41 PM

"non plus ultra" and "ne plus ultra" come from the latin for "without more superior", or in today's language, unsurpassed/ultimate/best.

(Three years of latin in college, thank goodness it's finally paying off...20 years later, in a car forum...validation at last)
Old 11-19-2002, 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1996 C36 AMG, 1995 Volvo 850 Turbowagon
and a ton of body roll on the e55 and almost none on the m5...

Originally posted by amg55
"non plus ultra" and "ne plus ultra" come from the latin for "without more superior", or in today's language, unsurpassed/ultimate/best.

(Three years of latin in college, thank goodness it's finally paying off...20 years later, in a car forum...validation at last)
hehe...yeah...me and my 1/2 year japanese good enough for reading some jap aftermarket auto sites...
Old 11-19-2002, 11:07 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally posted by steve s
and a ton of body roll on the e55 and almost none on the m5...

hehe...yeah...me and my 1/2 year japanese good enough for reading some jap aftermarket auto sites...
i always want to learn japanese...hmm...maybe i should take japanese next quarter..

I guess i can translate Chinese for u guys...heh since that's my first language to begin with.
Old 11-21-2002, 02:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alex,

If it is not playing make sure you have RealPlayer installed. You can get it at http://www.real.com

I had the same problem, and it is not apparent that you need Real.

Good luck.
Old 11-22-2002, 08:20 PM

Yeah, independantly studying japanese. I learned katakana and hirigana, but i dont know much kanji. ive learned some grammar patterns and words though, so i can communicate a lil bit. Its kind of fun to read the japanese mercedes pages. I should really study more, my high school doesnt offer japanese as a foreign language class