EvoSport generation II rotors in hand!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 10:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
EvoSport generation II rotors in hand!!

well, the transformation begins. I bought a set of the replacement rotors (cross drilled and slotted). Initial impressions are very good. The weight is definitely lower (I will post the real differences when i replace the OEMs). For $2000, I just couldn't find a better deal anywhere. Now, I have something to baseline against. I am hoping to have them installed next weekend along with a set of Porterfield pads and new fluid.

Does anyone recommend the stainless braided lines?

Last thing, if 18s fit on the front, then why not 14" rotors in the rear?
Attached Thumbnails EvoSport generation II rotors in hand!!-rotors.jpg   EvoSport generation II rotors in hand!!-rotors-1-.jpg   EvoSport generation II rotors in hand!!-rotors-2-.jpg   EvoSport generation II rotors in hand!!-rotors-3-.jpg   EvoSport generation II rotors in hand!!-rotors-4-.jpg  

Old 08-15-2007, 01:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
211 E55(sold) & 80cc shifter kart
the set up is about 40-50% better than stock, i have real track time on mine it was like night and day, you'll love them.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:22 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by BMWEATR
the set up is about 40-50% better than stock, i have real track time on mine it was like night and day, you'll love them.
Sweet! I can't wait. i am hoping that heat dissipation wll be better. I never had fade issues as much as building up heat to get the red warning after just a few laps.

I'm gonna push these hard, so I will break em in right.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 S63 Coupe Iridium Silver
Originally Posted by jangy
well, the transformation begins. I bought a set of the replacement rotors (cross drilled and slotted). Initial impressions are very good. The weight is definitely lower (I will post the real differences when i replace the OEMs). For $2000, I just couldn't find a better deal anywhere. Now, I have something to baseline against. I am hoping to have them installed next weekend along with a set of Porterfield pads and new fluid.

These rotors really look good! I will be interested to hear how they perform around the circuit. keep us posted.
I have installed stainless brake lines all around and even love the feel of my brakes.
I have just bought a brand new set of OEM rotors and pads from www.oempartsdirect.com and sent them off to COLDfire to have cryogenically treated before installation. It is supposed to do all sort of fantastic things so I will be posting my impressions.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML550
Slots and Drill Holes Machined Backwards?

The rotors are very strange looking. In picture #3 picture you posted, it appears that the rotors have curved vanes which is good because that helps improve the airflow out of the rotor. But what's wierd is that in that in picture #3, it also appears that the slots and drill holes were done in the opposite direction of the vanes, which makes no sense at all. Every drilled and slotted rotor with curved vanes I've seen on Porsches and BMW M cars in the past have the slots and drill holes in the same direction as the vanes of the rotors.

If the rotors don't have curved vanes, it doesn't matter which direction the slots should go, but the idea is to have directionally vaned rotors for each side of the car such that the forward edge of the slot encounters the pad first and then the travel of the brake pad gas is outward from there via centrifugal force. The reason I bring this up is that the rotation decal in picture #1 is pointed in the opposite direction of the the slots and drill holes, which makes no sense. And the slots appear to be in the opposite direction of the vanes of the rotors (if they're in fact vaned).

These rotors don't look right to me. I wonder if the machinist who did these was asleep at the switch that day?

Last edited by komp55; 08-15-2007 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 JDM
Do these shorten stopping distance over the OEM setup? I know about weight savings and fade resistance with these but what about stopping distance in general, in a single hard stop situation?? Either way they look great.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:45 AM

'06 E55
What ever happened with the E63 rotors? Did you ever get them installed and if so what were your impressions?
Old 08-15-2007, 11:33 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by Archi
What ever happened with the E63 rotors? Did you ever get them installed and if so what were your impressions?

I ended up returning them. They measured fine and would likely have worked, but I didn't like 3 things. First, the weight was just slightly under the OEM rotors (about 5lbs). Second, the veins were not directional. Third, $1500 for 2 rotors was a pill to swallow for not getting what I was after.

I'd be interested to know if these EVO ones will fit on an E63? If so, then they can at least upgrade the rears, no?
Old 08-15-2007, 11:34 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by kompressed55
The rotors are very strange looking. In picture #3 picture you posted, it appears that the rotors have curved vanes which is good because that helps improve the airflow out of the rotor. But what's wierd is that in that in picture #3, it also appears that the slots and drill holes were done in the opposite direction of the vanes, which makes no sense at all. Every drilled and slotted rotor with curved vanes I've seen on Porsches and BMW M cars in the past have the slots and drill holes in the same direction as the vanes of the rotors.

If the rotors don't have curved vanes, it doesn't matter which direction the slots should go, but the idea is to have directionally vaned rotors for each side of the car such that the forward edge of the slot encounters the pad first and then the travel of the brake pad gas is outward from there via centrifugal force. The reason I bring this up is that the rotation decal in picture #1 is pointed in the opposite direction of the the slots and drill holes, which makes no sense. And the slots appear to be in the opposite direction of the vanes of the rotors (if they're in fact vaned).

These rotors don't look right to me. I wonder if the machinist who did these was asleep at the switch that day?

You bring up interesting points. I will look into it tonight and try posting better pics. Maybe EVO can shed light on this for us?
Old 08-15-2007, 11:56 AM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jangy

Yes on the braid lines! Been running Goodridge for a long time and no issues(knock on wood).

380mm on the rears might have some clearance issues.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:15 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by JamE55
Yes on the braid lines! Been running Goodridge for a long time and no issues(knock on wood).

380mm on the rears might have some clearance issues.

I'll look into the lines. Any brand folks recommend and a source?

If my rear wheel fits on the front, then why wouldn't a 14" fit in the rear? I'm going to have to find a way to get 15" rotors in the front and 14s in the rear and still keep my 18" rims. Oh well, I'll have time to think about it while I thrash these EVO rotors.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Jangy,

Sweet...I ordered the same rotors and they were dropped shipped to my install shop (C2 Design in Tampa) Monday. I walked in to pay for the Renntech toe-link kit and they were in boxes sitting next to all the Kleeman hardware ordered for my car. I had to tear into the box and take a look at those beauties.

They look much better in person and weight difference is significant vs. OEM. Is there a 12 step program for being a mod junkie?

Jon
Old 08-15-2007, 06:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Haha!! 12? Heck, there are too many parts yet to be designed for me. I can't stop.

The rotors are really nice up close. Definitely a huge difference in weight. I'd expect almost 10lbs up front. The rear hats are also done up nicely to incorporate the parking brake.

Now to get them on the car and thrash them. I smell a willow run coming up. I'm down to go even in this heat!!
Old 08-15-2007, 08:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

211 E55(sold) & 80cc shifter kart
Originally Posted by J 2OOI
Do these shorten stopping distance over the OEM setup? I know about weight savings and fade resistance with these but what about stopping distance in general, in a single hard stop situation?? Either way they look great.

yes!! I could stop 50' later on the track w/o fading.

THEY WILL NOT KEEP YOUR RED BRAKE LIGHT WARNING FROM COMMING ON!!
HEAT IS NOT WHAT MAKES IT COME ON(from my understanding)
Old 08-15-2007, 08:49 PM
Banned

German
looks good! are the zinc coated ?
Old 08-15-2007, 09:50 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by EUROTEK//AMG
looks good! are the zinc coated ?

To be honest, i know very little about these. I heard through the grapevine that the hats are made by Girodisc and the rotors are made by Coleman. Even that may not be true. Maybe EVO can jump in with some statistics. I'll fill you all in on the driving impressions. All I've heard are good things from those that got the first generation, so I am thinking I will love them.