Dealer rebuilt tranny but there's a jerk between 2nd and 3rd

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 CLK63 BS
Dealer rebuilt tranny but there's a jerk between 2nd and 3rd

Hey all,

I've been experiencing a problem shifting from 2nd to 3rd and I brought my car in to Silver Star Mercedes in Long Island City NY. They told me that the cause of the problem was "B2 Clutches Burned" whatever that means...

Long story short, they rebuilt my tranny under warranty. I picked up the car from the dealer today and drove it for about 150 miles in C mode. All the gears shift pretty well, but I seem to be experiencing some "jerkiness" between 2nd and 3rd. It only happens when I'm in traffic and going between 30 - 50 mph and I'm assuming it's the 2nd and 3rd gears because the 1st gear isn't used in C mode. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? Is it normal for a newly rebuilt tranny to be rough at first? Any feedback will be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 08-18-2007, 12:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Knee jerk reaction is it's supercharger engage but you are saying this didn't happen before the tranny rebuild. Try it again driving around in S and see if she does the same thing.

OH and get that car out of C now mister.

Not sure why they even put that feature in a car with as much torque as ours. I just can't imagine the stress put on the tranny trying to move a 4,000lb car with that much torque in 2nd gear. Ouch!
Old 08-18-2007, 01:28 AM

08 CLK63 BS
Thanks for the feedback. It's actually getting a little better now that I've driven it 250 miles. But now I noticed something new. It seems that only M mode provides somewhat solid control of the transmission. When I shift around in S mode, I notice that it shifts around fine when I drive "normally" but when I really floor it in 2nd and shift to 3rd, it seems to want to stay in second until I hit 75mph before it shifts.

In S mode, I would floor it in 2nd onto the highway, ease up on the throttle, and shift to 3rd at 50mph. The dash would say "3." But it would stay in 2nd for about 5 seconds before it finally shifts. It's as though the car thinks that I want to continue gunning it and is waiting for me to redline in 2nd. I'm not sure if that's normal or if I have to get my tranny checked again?

And I was only driving in C mode because it was raining and the service advisor suggested that I drive easy and leave it on C mode for at least 200 miles before I start beating on it again. Aside from that, I never drive in C mode...I swear!!!
Old 08-18-2007, 03:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
Originally Posted by slacker55
Thanks for the feedback. It's actually getting a little better now that I've driven it 250 miles. But now I noticed something new. It seems that only M mode provides somewhat solid control of the transmission. When I shift around in S mode, I notice that it shifts around fine when I drive "normally" but when I really floor it in 2nd and shift to 3rd, it seems to want to stay in second until I hit 75mph before it shifts.

In S mode, I would floor it in 2nd onto the highway, ease up on the throttle, and shift to 3rd at 50mph. The dash would say "3." But it would stay in 2nd for about 5 seconds before it finally shifts. It's as though the car thinks that I want to continue gunning it and is waiting for me to redline in 2nd. I'm not sure if that's normal or if I have to get my tranny checked again?

And I was only driving in C mode because it was raining and the service advisor suggested that I drive easy and leave it on C mode for at least 200 miles before I start beating on it again. Aside from that, I never drive in C mode...I swear!!!
Did they reflash your tranny control unit too besides the tranny rebuild?

Last edited by AdamG@NorCal; 08-18-2007 at 03:04 AM.