Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55K
BURN OUT with STOCK tyres !!!

Is there any point to do this ???

I mean before the run when you do burn out you get you engine warmer, so you will get heatsoak faster...

Then I think its very bad for you transmission...2 people here with E55 and SL55 who like to do long burn outs one with slicks and other with stock tyres had problems with their transmissions...

Futhermore...do they hook up any better whn they warmed up ???

Also is their any point to put less pressure ???

WE race in 1/4 almost every Friday and Saturday...enterance only $20...

From this weekends...1st place in Free Class where all the big boys(supercars, big engines, turbos)...gets $300 USD, bottle of champaine and big (i forgot how you call it) like the thing you put flower in, but they give winnerssorry

2nd $150 USD + champange+ that thing

3rd $50 + the same as above

I made $100 for fuel
Old 08-26-2007, 11:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E55
I can't answer your question, but I'm about to get my first set of new rear tires, and before I put the new ones on, I was thinking of just smoking the old ones and have a friend video it for grins.

Is this bad on the tranny? It would suprise me i it was, but you raise a good point.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
Got ahead and SMOKE them, do some donuts...its fun... and post the video here...

Once a while its OK...
Old 08-27-2007, 06:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
That wierd so many people go to track here and have a lot of experience / knowldge with DRAG Racing and no one wants to share...

Common guys...tell ME what is better and how should I prepare for a 1/4 run ???
Old 08-27-2007, 07:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
It seems like on all the videos of very quick E55's on the drag strip, they always did a burnout before the run.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by E55 RUSS
That wierd so many people go to track here and have a lot of experience / knowldge with DRAG Racing and no one wants to share...

Common guys...tell ME what is better and how should I prepare for a 1/4 run ???
No need to warm tires if you are getting traction. On street tires they are the wrong type of rubber. Heating a street tire is silly , by the time you get moving the rubber has cooled down,

an r compound tire is sticky like glue and the stickyness is actually the tire warming and coming off the car as you drive.

From watching or listening to your runs sounds like its a strip with NO PREP?
so you have pavement just similar to a regular street. Warming the tires , unless they are drag radials or r compound seems like all show and no go
Old 08-27-2007, 08:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
Thanks...YES...Launching with ESP and when I warm up tyres sometime ESP inteference more and sometimes less...BUT sometimes when warm up tyres and go imeediately, but that doesnt happens often, cause you need time to line UP, with warm tyres there is less interference but the times dont seem to change, probably my engine is gets warmer as well...

What is other people experiences ???
Old 08-27-2007, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c230 coupe
Street tires don't "warm up" so you don't need to do a long burn out. You are supposed to spin them just to get any dirt off from the staging lanes. Slicks are made of softer rubber and they do need to be warmed up before launch.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E55
I know from road "racing" experience that when I did it on street tires, their best grip was the first couple of laps. When they get too hot, they get soupy... so I would imagine a burn out would only make the grip worse.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
If your car has been sitting in a staging lane on a cool day, your tires will be cold. My experience is that a tire grips better when it is warm. I always do a burnout in the water box to get a little smoke. And I am pretty much running 1.7 60 foot times regularly.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
We dont have any water boxes...They payment is getting colder and colder with everyday...

How long is your burn out ???
Old 08-27-2007, 08:17 PM
Almost a Member!

w211 E55
E55Rus. All you need is some good ole VHT. This stuff is amazing. It got my cobra hooking and that thing used to wheel hop and spin like no tomorrow before the rear bushings and... were upgraded. Seriously... VHT is a must. Also you want to decrease air pressure in your rear tires depending on what rim/tire combination your running. If your short on sidewall then definitely decrease rear down to 12-18 psi. This is just my two cents and what my experience street racing tells me. The VHT is definitely a must. IT is a liquid you pour on your tire. Stands for VERY HIGH TRACTION I believe. Hope this helps. Also, with using VHT, you want to do a burnout. Apply once, burn out, then apply again, and launch it like a f!#$ing madman

Last edited by turbineexpert; 08-27-2007 at 08:34 PM.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Originally Posted by turbineexpert
E55Rus. All you need is some good ole VHT. This stuff is amazing. It got my cobra hooking and that thing used to wheel hop and spin like no tomorrow before the rear bushings and... were upgraded. Seriously... VHT is a must. Also you want to decrease air pressure in your rear tires depending on what rim/tire combination your running. If your short on sidewall then definitely decrease rear down to 12-18 psi. This is just my two cents and what my experience street racing tells me. The VHT is definitely a must. IT is a liquid you pour on your tire. Stands for VERY HIGH TRACTION I believe. Hope this helps. Also, with using VHT, you want to do a burnout. Apply once, burn out, then apply again, and launch it like a f!#$ing madman
I wish I could slap on some VHT. But how/where would you apply VHT to your tires at the track? Once you leave the staging lanes, you aren't supposed to get out of your car. If you apply it in the staging lanes, you are going to pick up so much crap on the way to the tree that you are probably worse off. Does your track let you get out and slap VHT on?

And might 12 lbs be too low for a street tire? Don't you need more than that to keep a low profile tire affixed to the wheel bead and to keep the edges of the tire treads from taking too much of the load? Just curious.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Originally Posted by E55 RUSS
We dont have any water boxes...They payment is getting colder and colder with everyday...

How long is your burn out ???
Not very long - until the car starts creeping or the ECU shuts things down. Maybe 6 or 7 seconds. And as others noted, drop your rear tire pressure. I bring mine down to 22 lbs.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:51 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 E63, Cobra replica, 68 Camaro, 66 Chevy II SS, Z4 BMW, Honda Element, Birel 125cc Shifter Kart.
From personal experiance, I can tell you that no street tire works better after doing a burn out unless it's a street legal Drag Radial designed for that purpose.

Normal street tires get greasy after a burn out, pick up water between the treads, (at the track) and then the water puddles under the tire while you're waiting for the green light. NOT GOOD.

Drag radials and slicks contain traction compounds that are released by the heat of a burn out making them MUCH more sticky.

If you're racing on street tires, go around the water to keep the tires dry. Do a short hop or two to get comfortable with the amount of accelerator you're going to use and stage the car.

For most Drag radials you want to go into the water, do a nice burn out while rolling onto the dry pavement and you're ready to go.

Others may have different techniques but this is what works for me.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:04 AM

'10 Panamera S, '06 AMG CLS55, '07 Miata MX5, '02 MB SPRINTER, '99 Spec Miata Race Car (2X)
Hi Russ

There are several who have commented that there is no point to doing a burnout with street tires. However my experience contradicts this completely. I have done approximately 70 trips down the 1/4mile in both E55 and CLS55 cars. My best 60ft times were always after a healthy burnout. And I have some pretty quick 60ft times for stock tires many in the 1.78 second range.

My fastest 1/4 mile times were done as follows

rear tires 25 psi
fronts 40psi
1/2 fuel tank or less
drive around the water (street tire treads will track water to the launch)
ESP off
Comfort suspension setting
S mode tranny
1st gear
let other guy do his burnout first and stage first - you want to arrive at the line with hot sticky tires
do a decent burnout to warm tires (several disagree with me on this saying it doesnt help street tires, but my 60ft times vary greatly depending on length of burnout)
make sure you re-select 1st gear again after burnout - it will have changed to 2nd
ESP off (after I learned how to launch, my runs became MUCH faster with ESP OFF)
left foot on brake, right foot on accelerator
1000 RPM pre-load
After light changes, when ready, foot off brake and gently roll on the gas until rear sits and squats, and then floor it
My advice in the beginning is to ignore the lights - only launch when you are calm ready and in control - ignore the guy next to you, let him go.

Hope this helps
Old 08-28-2007, 11:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Not sure if Luke at Tirerack is still a sponsor. Bet he'd have some good info.

Lemme check and shoot him a pm.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
Originally Posted by turbineexpert
I run 19 wheels with 285/30 tyres...

12-18psi inst it too low...what are stock parameter for e55 ???

Where can I can VHT staff ???
Old 08-28-2007, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
Originally Posted by enzom
I wish I could slap on some VHT. But how/where would you apply VHT to your tires at the track? Once you leave the staging lanes, you aren't supposed to get out of your car. If you apply it in the staging lanes, you are going to pick up so much crap on the way to the tree that you are probably worse off. Does your track let you get out and slap VHT on?
I can get out is not reccomended...ther is not much time...
Old 08-28-2007, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
Originally Posted by enzom
Not very long - until the car starts creeping or the ECU shuts things down. Maybe 6 or 7 seconds. And as others noted, drop your rear tire pressure. I bring mine down to 22 lbs.
What is stock tyres pressure ???
Old 08-28-2007, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
Originally Posted by siswati
Hi Russ

There are several who have commented that there is no point to doing a burnout with street tires. However my experience contradicts this completely. I have done approximately 70 trips down the 1/4mile in both E55 and CLS55 cars. My best 60ft times were always after a healthy burnout. And I have some pretty quick 60ft times for stock tires many in the 1.78 second range.

My fastest 1/4 mile times were done as follows

rear tires 25 psi
fronts 40psi
1/2 fuel tank or less
drive around the water (street tire treads will track water to the launch)
ESP off
Comfort suspension setting
S mode tranny
1st gear
let other guy do his burnout first and stage first - you want to arrive at the line with hot sticky tires
do a decent burnout to warm tires (several disagree with me on this saying it doesnt help street tires, but my 60ft times vary greatly depending on length of burnout)
make sure you re-select 1st gear again after burnout - it will have changed to 2nd
ESP off (after I learned how to launch, my runs became MUCH faster with ESP OFF)
left foot on brake, right foot on accelerator
1000 RPM pre-load
After light changes, when ready, foot off brake and gently roll on the gas until rear sits and squats, and then floor it
My advice in the beginning is to ignore the lights - only launch when you are calm ready and in control - ignore the guy next to you, let him go.

Hope this helps
Thanks...but there is problem with launching with ESP OFF...

I am not stock and making close to 650 HP and over 900 Torgues (Euro measures stock 700)...So it just too much POWER onthe tap and other thing is that our track is like regular road, doesnt have at glue, the sticky staff you have of you tracks + its getting colder, so I would be almost impossible to launch the car without ESP without spinnning tyres...I can spin the tyres, let off the gas and WOT and would spin again...that is the problem...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRlb8vx78wM
Old 08-28-2007, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Russ,

I just have to ask. You sound like a hardcore modder and certainly drag more than just about anyone on the forum.

I think you didn't get much response because we all are asking the same question.

WHY ARE YOU STILL RUNNING STOCK TIRES???

Just curious why you are not at least buying some used E55 rear rims and throwing drag radials on them. The difference is night and day my Russian AMG brother.

I just wouldn't put another mod on your car unless you ditch that stock rubber and at least put on some Toyo RA1's or 888's.

Old 08-28-2007, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
LOOOOL...Thats a good question

Bro...I guess its a money factor...I get free money then I think...What should I get TB or DR

SO I decide to get TB cause I want more power to be faster on th street not only on the track...Since we are not only racing on the TRACK, I wont be runing DR on the highway...at 185+...

So if I beat let say mod M5 on the track with DR and then he spanks ME on the HIGHway or on street racing when I have regular tyres, that it wont be GREAT...

Now that I will get IC and new ECU and bigger pullies, then I will order DR, we dont have it availible here, only special order for US and they wont be cheap either...
Old 08-28-2007, 03:49 PM

E55
Originally Posted by speedpeddler
From personal experiance, I can tell you that no street tire works better after doing a burn out unless it's a street legal Drag Radial designed for that purpose.

Normal street tires get greasy after a burn out, pick up water between the treads, (at the track) and then the water puddles under the tire while you're waiting for the green light. NOT GOOD.

Drag radials and slicks contain traction compounds that are released by the heat of a burn out making them MUCH more sticky.

If you're racing on street tires, go around the water to keep the tires dry. Do a short hop or two to get comfortable with the amount of accelerator you're going to use and stage the car.

For most Drag radials you want to go into the water, do a nice burn out while rolling onto the dry pavement and you're ready to go.

Others may have different techniques but this is what works for me.
Agreed 100%

Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Russ,

I just have to ask. You sound like a hardcore modder and certainly drag more than just about anyone on the forum.

I think you didn't get much response because we all are asking the same question.

WHY ARE YOU STILL RUNNING STOCK TIRES???

Agreed 100%

This is always a nice problem to have. But too much power and not putting it into the ground is wasted power but great bragging rights. With one set of tires, you can only either efficiently dominate in the highway or at the drag not both. Your car is becoming a killer and sounds like you are having all the fun!!
Old 08-28-2007, 05:12 PM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
while the big smokey burn out looks cool and does get you a ;little more stick but, on a street tire it isn't all that much ... air pressure, driver improvement and weather conditions have a more noticable effect

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: BURN OUT with STOCK tyres !!!