W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How come their are no K&N type air intakes available?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 12:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55
How come their are no K&N type air intakes available?

I just picked up a 2007 Pathfinder for the upcomming winter months. I spent $350 and got a really nice K & N CAI set up. It is suppose to add about 15 WHP, not bad for $350.

Why can't we do this on the E55? Is their just no aftermarket support for a good "affordable" mod? The intake I put on the pathfinder might even fit on the E55 (of course i'd need two of them), I almost wish I tried it before doing the install. In addition to getting a really good bang for the buck the truck sounds mean now.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
i don't think there's enough room.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:49 AM

2004 E55
Once you pull all of the stock plastic off their looks like their is enough room. You may not be able to fit a big K & N filter on their but something like a smaller Apexi filter should fit. I wish I had the means to fab something like this...
Old 08-27-2007, 01:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Where are you going to put the actual filter?
Old 08-27-2007, 02:50 AM

2004 E55
Originally Posted by Jrocket
Where are you going to put the actual filter?
The filter would go right where the stock plastic tube's end, right behind the radiator/fans. The car would sound so mean with dual intakes
Old 08-27-2007, 06:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML550
These cold air intakes are usually such a scam as to claimed performance gains. All they actually do is draw in extremely hot air from underneath the hood. Good way to really kill performance on the 55 (or any other engine, for that matter). The factory system draws in fresh, cool air from in front of the radiator. There's a reason it was designed that way.

That's why the VRUS insulated tube system is the only worthwhile upgrade to the air intakes. Don't waste your money trying to figure out how to put a couple of K&N cone filters under the hood - they're such a joke.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:15 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by kompressed55
These cold air intakes are usually such a scam as to claimed performance gains. All they actually do is draw in extremely hot air from underneath the hood. Good way to really kill performance on the 55 (or any other engine, for that matter). The factory system draws in fresh, cool air from in front of the radiator. There's a reason it was designed that way.

That's why the VRUS insulated tube system is the only worthwhile upgrade to the air intakes. Don't waste your money trying to figure out how to put a couple of K&N cone filters under the hood - they're such a joke.
but have any filters air box/ air tubes shown any gains? actual numbers? with out other mods installed at the same time
Old 08-27-2007, 07:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
I know on tuner Japanese cars and boosted American cars I always see those thick cold air intakes with the big K&N cone filter. I'm sure there must be a reason why some of the most powerful cars out there are running with these types of intakes.
And they really do sound great, no drone like an exhaust can give you, just high RPM screaming.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:57 PM

2004 E55
Originally Posted by ItalianStallion
I know on tuner Japanese cars and boosted American cars I always see those thick cold air intakes with the big K&N cone filter. I'm sure there must be a reason why some of the most powerful cars out there are running with these types of intakes.
And they really do sound great, no drone like an exhaust can give you, just high RPM screaming.

Agreed, back about 5 years ago I dyno tested a intake before and after on a 2002 maxima. The Intake added 12 WHP. So I agree, these things are no joke, their a good bang for the buck.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
06 CLS55 w/ P030, 05 Jag S Type R, 05 TBird-68 Dodge Charger R/T-440 w/4speed I'm original owner
Originally Posted by kompressed55

You got a point here. But the hot air is averaged out by the free flow of the K&N. You get some warm air mixed with the additional volume.

The air box is a good but the free flow cone in front of the radiator is better.
In between is the renntech air box. You do what can fit in the engine compartment.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by emax
The filter would go right where the stock plastic tube's end, right behind the radiator/fans. The car would sound so mean with dual intakes

Then it would be sucking hot air from the engine compartment.There is no room for one in front of the radiator.Even if there was room,then its going to be sucking in water if it rains.It has to be shielded from water yet be in the direct path of cold air,thats going to be hard.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,065 Likes on 854 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Why couldn't you do something like this?
Attached Thumbnails How come their are no K&N type air intakes available?-928-supercharger-intake.jpg  
Old 08-27-2007, 11:31 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by BlownV8
Thats basically the same setup as stock just using cone filters instead of rectangular ones.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
WTF

>>>"2004 E55 Loaded, Ran 12.455 @ 111.84 MPH Stock (1.84 60'). ASP pulley & Evo Sport Headers installed, ran 12.6 at the track?."<<<

Your mods are making your E slower.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:11 AM

2004 E55
Originally Posted by Yacht Master
WTF

>>>"2004 E55 Loaded, Ran 12.455 @ 111.84 MPH Stock (1.84 60'). ASP pulley & Evo Sport Headers installed, ran 12.6 at the track?."<<<

Your mods are making your E slower.
LOL, tell me about it! Thats why I want more mods! On the real, I just had my slipping SC fixed, a CEL fixed and I fixed my exhaust leak. This friday I am hoping to get into the 11's, but we will see...

As for getting water on the filter in front of the radiator. I don't believe that would be a problem. If you have ever opened your hood after driving in the rain it stays perfectly dry in their. If anything their would be less of a chance of water getting in over the stock unit, it's sucking air being ramed into the air scoups.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
ASP pulley
ASP's a heat monster bro. If she tanks at the track again, there's your problem. Car runs like a volcano until you put on cooling mods. Minimum....the higher flowing pump.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55

As for getting water on the filter in front of the radiator. I don't believe that would be a problem. If you have ever opened your hood after driving in the rain it stays perfectly dry in their. If anything their would be less of a chance of water getting in over the stock unit, it's sucking air being ramed into the air scoups.
Filter between grill and radiator will get wet from rain,plus...no room.

Filter behind radiator,pulling in hot air from engine....worse than stock.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:59 PM

Nothing
Originally Posted by BlownV8
Looks like a Dyson Vacuum
Old 08-30-2007, 02:33 AM

2004 E55
Originally Posted by Jrocket
Filter between grill and radiator will get wet from rain,plus...no room.

Filter behind radiator,pulling in hot air from engine....worse than stock.

If I suggested that the filter should go between the grill and radiator I did not intend to. I believe the best position would be behind the radiator, in the engine bay, right where the oem CA scoops reside. IMO they would not get wet, seeing that the CA scoups are sucking the same air in and their is no wetness problem on the oem setup, atleast to my knowledge. The hoter air would of course be a issue, I agree with that point. With a well designed set up, a scoop could feed cold air into the filters. R&D would be pricey, everyone seems fine with out this option, I think it is unfortunate.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:02 PM
Almost a Member!

2000 ML55 AMG Black on Black
I don't have very much experience with Mercedes models (new owner) but I can tell you a bit that I've learned from tuner Volkswagens and Porsches. Those communities have worked this topic to death and I had researched them extensively myslef prior to installing different versions on my previous cars.

While there are cone filter based intake kits of all varieties, all of them seemed to produce positive dyno results. However, that was often on a dyno, hood open and big air fans creating air movement into the engine bay. The general consensus with the VW community was that C.A.I. were the best. Now don't get a Cold Air Intake kit confused with a standard intake kit. The C.A.I. kits like the one that I had on my VR6 had an extended multi-piece carbon fibre intake tube that exited the engine bay into the front bumper ahead of the front drivers side wheel. A previous Neuspeed kit that I had on another VW simply had the K&N cone in place of the original airbox. It seemed to work (well it sounded great) but when idling, the cone was saturated in heat.

With regards to Porsches, K&N cones inside the engine bay were somewhat rare, this despite the fact the rear engined 911's engine is fairly open to the elements (vented rear spoilers directly above). However, there are several aftermarket carbon fibre airboxes available for the many generations of the 911. A common dyno proven mod to the 70's and 80's 911s was to simply install a K&N panel filter and drill large holes into the top side of the airbox directly beneath the vented spoiler.

I think it would be safe to say that all intake kits produce power when you're at highway speeds and a lot of air is being drawn in/out of the engine bay. On the other hand, if you're staging at your local 1/4 mile and you've been sitting there waiting for the lights to go green, the air under your hood is pretty toasty and you might see a drop in power.

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:07 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
If I suggested that the filter should go between the grill and radiator I did not intend to. I believe the best position would be behind the radiator, in the engine bay, right where the oem CA scoops reside. IMO they would not get wet, seeing that the CA scoups are sucking the same air in and their is no wetness problem on the oem setup, atleast to my knowledge. The hoter air would of course be a issue, I agree with that point. With a well designed set up, a scoop could feed cold air into the filters. R&D would be pricey, everyone seems fine with out this option, I think it is unfortunate.

I agree with you. i think a much cheaper and more open system can be made by introducing cone filters. Any bay can be ducted to bring in the right air. I've done F.I.P.K.s to many cars and things like water have to be taken into consideration, but are rarely stoppers. The main gate is usually how much time you are willing to develop a sealed area for air accumulation.