Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you can't afford it, don't drive it!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 10:16 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
'21 GLC63, '19 M5
I don't think there is anyone here who doesn't like to spend money... It's just that no one likes being a sucker. If I pay too much I get pissed not because of the money, but because I feel that someone got an upper hand on me. This is a business transaction after all. Now if I feel like being screwed I'll ask one of the girls, not the dealer.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What size tires are you running? Any rubbing issues?
Old 08-30-2007, 10:28 PM

My ex-cars: 03 E55,04 C32, 05 C55 ,03 E320
I agree with others...I dont get pissed off about the money at most...its just the feeling that you couldve got something cheaper that makes me mad something...yes..just like someone else had an upper hand...that feeling...

Having money doesnt mean you can just throw em everywhere...being able to afford doesnt mean you should waste.....

Why do big companies always have to have competitors bid on price? Sure they can afford the highest price for a product...but they dont pay the highest price...thats the way things work Nick.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:20 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by MBC32
What size tires are you running? Any rubbing issues?
Best post in this thread. Bar none.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
.......paying too much on purpose just to feel superior is a sign of lack of intelligence.

........Chris Rock said it best; "there is rich and then there is wealthy." Rich means you have a 401K. Wealthy means you own the bank that the 401K is invested.

.......I don't think that those that are actually wealthy got there by not understanding the value of money and the proper cost of goods and services. These are folks that understand the market place. They understand tax law, deductions, cutting overhead, cutting expenses, boosting the bottom line, investments, etc.

Ted
Old 08-31-2007, 12:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 SL500R / 2003 BMW M5
Originally Posted by vraa
I love how a lock on my dads car went out and the dealer wanted to charge for 4 hours at 103$/hour but the extended warranty only covered 2.9 hours according to "their" book at 95$/hour.

Come on out to California and pay $150 -$175 hour minimum. Labor shock.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:10 PM

'12 ML350
Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
.......I don't think that those that are actually wealthy got there by not understanding the value of money and the proper cost of goods and services. These are folks that understand the market place. They understand tax law, deductions, cutting overhead, cutting expenses, boosting the bottom line, investments, etc.
Bravo, about time someone mentioned this point - unfortunately in today's world, having money and understanding the value of money are two totally different things; IMHO, this is often due to the difference today in having money and having EARNED the money.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:10 PM

You name it i've had it or got it...
It is about the principle.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:13 PM

2004 S55 AMG
You know I don't normally read post like this but to the OP if you like to get *** raped by the dealer good for you. For us other guys we will shop around for deals. Most guys on this board can afford a hell of alot more than a mercedes but do you thing they got to that point by spending money like that.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
06 CLS55 w/ P030, 05 Jag S Type R, 05 TBird-68 Dodge Charger R/T-440 w/4speed I'm original owner
[quote=OzE55;2389871]
Originally Posted by m_berman

Or even better, do you shop price for heart surgery?

QUOTE]

You clearly have absolutely no idea about medicine, reputation and cost of service. They are uncorrelated. This is more true in the USA (where I have worked and lived) than anywhere else I've experienced.
In fact, you've now made me even more concerned that I'm paying MB for some nedulous concept of 'prestige' or 'quality' which may or may not be real.
Sometimes its best just to pay up and acknowledge that its the way things are.
Lets forget the key. I don't care where the key comes from until its broken.
Its only a few dollars.

I just paid $500. for my 1st A Service. It also included wheel balancing $130.00-Wheel Alignment $250.00 and the oil/filter $125.00. If I would go an independent it would cost 50% less. I know that. I paid for the peace of mind for MB. For you guys that don't know this yet, it comes with age.

I work hard for my money and I earn every penny. It makes me even more concerned that I spend it wisely and that means sometimes by my terms, I pay more to be certain it is done the way I want it.

This is different than paying $300.00 or so for some fancy designer label knock off of some Levis which is nothing more than a name of a fabric. I think that is were we are all in agreement. I'm talking about experience and taking repsonsiblity and backing it up by a large orgainization that will not disappear like a little shop Owner kicks the bucket or gets divorced or any one of a hundred of personal problems/excuses that non professional grease monkeys cry about.
I'm not trusting or handing over my 100+K MB to anyone that cannot write me a check for that amount if something goes wrong.

Just my $.02.

Last edited by m_berman; 08-31-2007 at 05:05 PM. Reason: spell
Old 08-31-2007, 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
01 CLK 430
Originally Posted by Shaun
*** raped
Old 08-31-2007, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
[QUOTE=m_berman;2391821]
Originally Posted by OzE55

Its only a few dollars.

I just paid $500. for my 1st A Service. It also included wheel balancing $130.00-Wheel Alignment $250.00 and the oil/filter $125.00. If I would go an independent it would cost 50% less. I know that. I paid for the peace of mind for MB. For you guys that don't know this yet, it comes with age.

I work hard for my money and I earn every penny. It makes me even more concerned that I spend it wisely and that means sometimes by my terms, I pay more to be certain it is done the way I want it.

This is different than paying $300.00 or so for some fancy designer label knock off of some Levis which is nothing more than a name of a fabric. I think that is were we are all in agreement. I'm talking about experience and taking repsonsiblity and backing it up by a large orgainization that will not disappear like a little shop Owner kicks the bucket or gets divorced or any one of a hundred of personal problems/excuses that non professional grease monkeys cry about.
I'm not trusting or handing over my 100+K MB to anyone that cannot write me a check for that amount if something goes wrong.

Just my $.02.
My independent MB trained mechanic's shop is meticulous and is licensed and bonded. I wouldn't take my MB or any car I own to a mechanic that wasn't...I'm lucky that he's been there over 10 years. Plus, I don't think MB would write you a check for the full value of the car if something goes wrong (w/o some fight or legal wrangling) or they may cover at a level you deem not satisfactory...who knows.

I also have experienced that taking it to MB doesn't guarantee that things will be done right...
Old 08-31-2007, 05:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E 55
Originally Posted by OzE55

Its only a few dollars.

Just my $.02.
See that's what the dealer excels at more than the local shops, marketing. It begins the minute you buy the car, you are told that the they are the only people qualified to work on your car. They also hint of your warranty being in peril by getting your service performed elsewhere. The majority of the people by the propaganda and pay the inflated prices.

If you could actually see some of the dealer techs at work you would quickly change your tune. The better private shops are usually owned and operated by people who spent a good number of years honing their skills at the dealer and decided to go on their own.

So next time you are at your dealer look at the guys doing the oil changes and tire balancing, 9 out 10 times it's the guys with the least amount of automotive experience. In the end most people don't care and think the dealer will step-up if and when they make a mistake and that's what keeps them going back and overpaying for service.

So for me the question becomes do I want a tech that can afford to make a mistake or someone whose lively hood depends on their work.
(just my 2 cents )
Old 08-31-2007, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
So for me the question becomes do I want a tech that can afford to make a mistake or someone whose lively hood depends on their work.
Exactly...the hard part is finding a good mechanic that has the training and good business history (i.e. good references and lack of complaints).
Old 09-01-2007, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 CLS55 w/ P030, 05 Jag S Type R, 05 TBird-68 Dodge Charger R/T-440 w/4speed I'm original owner
[quote=AMGfan;2391893]
Originally Posted by m_berman

My independent MB trained mechanic's shop is meticulous and is licensed and bonded. I wouldn't take my MB or any car I own to a mechanic that wasn't...I'm lucky that he's been there over 10 years. Plus, I don't think MB would write you a check for the full value of the car if something goes wrong (w/o some fight or legal wrangling) or they may cover at a level you deem not satisfactory...who knows.

I also have experienced that taking it to MB doesn't guarantee that things will be done right...
I agree. Here in So Cal its fashionable to screw the customer. So Buyer Beware is the rule.
You're very lucky to find such a great Independent.
For the rest of us, I rely upon the warranty and pay (alot) out of pocket for the 5K oil changes and wheel alignments. Just a way of life.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by rflow306
See that's what the dealer excels at more than the local shops, marketing. It begins the minute you buy the car, you are told that the they are the only people qualified to work on your car. They also hint of your warranty being in peril by getting your service performed elsewhere. The majority of the people by the propaganda and pay the inflated prices.

If you could actually see some of the dealer techs at work you would quickly change your tune. The better private shops are usually owned and operated by people who spent a good number of years honing their skills at the dealer and decided to go on their own.

So next time you are at your dealer look at the guys doing the oil changes and tire balancing, 9 out 10 times it's the guys with the least amount of automotive experience. In the end most people don't care and think the dealer will step-up if and when they make a mistake and that's what keeps them going back and overpaying for service.

(just my 2 cents )
Another take on the Independent MB service shop is the high end Performance Tuning Shops. I tend to believe they are a cut above the Independent MB shops due to the fact that they have the experience at dealing with high performance track cars and really expensive boy toys like Ps, Ls and Fs. I would bring my 100+k in for 5k oil changes, alignments and my future Renntech mod that I planning for after the 1st 10 or 12k miles.

There are a few of these Tuning Shops in So Cal that will blow your socks off. But if I was a really good MB mechanics and had a family to support, it seems that these guys would associate with the MB Dealers due to their staying power in business, employee benifits like 401ks, etc.

I seen the shop end of the service drive up line too. I do agree. It all boils down to all who touch your car. A great MB certified mechanic is a treasure, but when the at risk, disadvantage, young punk drives your car from the service line into the repair bays via the 'Jack in the Box' drive through, I'm in trouble.

If anyone knows of a great alternate to MB Dealer (other than Vic--who is one of the best), let me know.

Last edited by m_berman; 09-01-2007 at 11:19 AM.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Received 515 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
Originally Posted by rflow306

(just my 2 cents )
1+ (This is the first time I've used this numerical response. I'm not sure what it means but the seasoned guys on the board seem to use it a lot, so I thought I'd give it a try)
Old 09-01-2007, 11:18 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Rock
1+ (This is the first time I've used this numerical response. I'm not sure what it means but the seasoned guys on the board seem to use it a lot, so I thought I'd give it a try)
You did it backwards

+1

Meaning add me to the count of those who support this opinion. It's a manual way to express meta-moderation; the idea that certain posts are better than others.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Received 515 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
You did it backwards

+1

Meaning add me to the count of those who support this opinion. It's a manual way to express meta-moderation; the idea that certain posts are better than others.

Now Ricky, don't get all smart on me..........."meta-moderation?"

Wow, I even screwed up my number. Got it........... +1 = guy in the know!!!

Last edited by Rock; 09-01-2007 at 11:34 AM.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:30 AM

2017 Charger Hellcat
Best post in this thread. Bar none.
....way out of left field.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:34 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Rock
Now Ricky, don't get all smart on me..........."meta-moderation"?

Wow, I even screwed up my number. Got it........... +1 = guy in the know!!!
Oops, that should've been just "moderation".
Meta moderation would be the including of terms like
+1 Funny
or
+1 Informative

Actually that would be a pretty cool thing to implement, help weed out the useless posts versus useful posts.