W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there anyway to improve the handling of my car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'12 ML350
Originally Posted by cte430
Forget about trying to make these cars light. You'll spend a fortune trying so just enjoy them for what they are. Buy a Lotus or something for weekend fun.
That is precisely why I still have my E36 M3 that will be 9 years old this November.

Its interior is mostly stipped, factory seats (which weighed an amazing 65 lbs. each even though they were NOT powered seats), rear seat, carpeting, and headliner were all removed and the moonroof welded shut, and with all that work, it still only came down about 220 lbs. in curb weight; more were removed but added back with the installed a 4-point half cage (welded) and the pair of Recaro racing shells and harnesses.

The next steps would be to hollow out the door panels and most of the sound deadening material from the engine bay, but even then the savings would be minimal.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by rkao
It's true, the curb weight of an E60 M5 is probably around the same and an E55, but I thnk the difference is in the original design and engineering philosophy.

BMWs are built to be more sporty - less cosseting ride but better handling. From the SMG II transmission to the M Differential, the car is geared for a higher plane of driving dynamics than the W211 E55/63. I've read many reviews which have said the Airmatic II on its Sport 2 setting is still softer than the M5's ride stiffness, that tells me a lot about the differences between the two cars and, more tellingly, between the two marques.

I think you'll find that the suspension dynamics of an M5 from its caster and toe settings to its damper valving are geared towards a more track oriented handling trait and ride than the E55. That difference starts from the moment the engineering brief is completed for the two cars and no amount of money can make fundamental changes to that unless you are a manufacturer like Brabus or Alpina and re-engineer the cars.
That is true but you can only put so much credibility in what a person or road tester writes about a car. Over the last few years I have realized that automotive writters and editors are often not that dynamic at what they do and some just dont go beyond the surface. When you see these guys print lap times for a given car they are always very slow (at my local tracks) so that makes me think they dont really ever push the car to the limit.

But yes the alignment specs make a big difference in the car. My E55 was re-aligned for performance and it made a world difference as far as feel and understeer. Taking out some toe made the car turn in quicker, the added negative camber gave the front end so much more grip and then added caster added to that camber and also firmed up the steering a bunch.

I think an E63 P30 package will equal an M5 but why not make that P30 package standard. An upgraded AMG should not exist. Its like asking do you want that 500 hp car to turn or just go fast down the road. BMW does not sell you an M5 with 535 suspension parts so nor should AMG!

I had fun with my E55 and I respected it a whole lot more once I stopped trying to make it a bmw because it just simply could never get there. It was wonderful for what it did best.

Plus I changed to tag cart racing instead of track days etc. Thats a big difference is driving feel!
Old 09-11-2007, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 MB E55 AMG, 2006 Audi A6 4.2, 2008 WRX STI
Originally Posted by jangy
Wider tires up front, if you do not want to get the steering rack, front arms, and shocks.
front arms and shocks? where?
is it custom set-up? please pm me if u know any place...
Old 09-11-2007, 09:07 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by AMG Rider
front arms and shocks? where?
is it custom set-up? please pm me if u know any place...

Basically newer CLS (219) components.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:11 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Custom arms in thought:

https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...8&d=1171776488