Mobile installs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 04:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Mobile installs?

Would people prefer to have a nice shop or an OK shop and a mobile unit that can come to you for some of the installs? I vote for having a smaller shop, but exploit the mobile aspect. Thoughts?
Old 08-30-2007, 05:31 PM
dsc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55
While mobile is attractive for time savings and convenience, I think it doesn't create the confidence and security a nice shop does. With a shop you can make a statement of knowledge and expertise. You can also treat the customer to amenities that mobile doesn't offer. If could combine both worlds you would have a kick butt offering.

Would your mobile shop come to Knoxville?
Old 08-30-2007, 05:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Go with a small shop with a meticulous and clean environment, especially inside.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:35 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
In theory, the traveling tech would go wherever you wish to pay

I agree with you on making sure that the mobile system both is and has the impression of being a top notch outfit. I was just thinking about minor things, like ELM installs, SDS tweaks, lip installs, etc. The thought was to have the convenience built in, like mobile detailers. It took them a while to catch on (due to quality concerns), but now they are the prime way to go.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:36 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by AMGfan
Go with a small shop with a meticulous and clean environment, especially inside.

My tech is picky. It will be CLEAN for sure. That is a lesson taken straight from GMG.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:59 PM
dsc

2004 E55
Originally Posted by jangy
I agree with you on making sure that the mobile system both is and has the impression of being a top notch outfit. I was just thinking about minor things, like ELM installs, SDS tweaks, lip installs, etc. The thought was to have the convenience built in, like mobile detailers. It took them a while to catch on (due to quality concerns), but now they are the prime way to go.
I think you would be good with those offerings, being careful to make a great presentation. Also, could I count on you to return at your cost and my convenience to fix an error? I think you could pull this off with the right marketing.

I still haven't called a mobile detailer because no one around here has given me the confidence they will do the same job as if I left it at a shop for one or two days
Old 08-30-2007, 06:02 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by dsc
I think you would be good with those offerings, being careful to make a great presentation. Also, could I count on you to return at your cost and my convenience to fix an error? I think you could pull this off with the right marketing.

I still haven't called a mobile detailer because no one around here has given me the confidence they will do the same job as if I left it at a shop for one or two days
Absolutely, you can. Customer service drives everything. Gains and losses aren't added up on a job by job basis.

It is funny you say that about the detailer, because I still haven't found one I would trust enough to leave my car with. LOL!! The Crew here has a mobile one that they have been happy with. i may give it a shot just to see how they do.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 Porsche 997TT
About 20 years ago I was dating this chick (well, she thought we were dating - it was something else to me LOL) who told me about a guy her brother knew who was a mobile mechnic. He was a BMW factory trained tech and had worked for one of the dealers. At the time I had a 3 series and didn't want to pay dealer prices. The guy was awesome with a great trailer and came anywhere I needed him. I thought it was a great concept. Most of his business was fleet work but he had some clients that he did some work for

I ditched the girl after a few months and didn't have any work done by this guy for quite some time for reasons I can't remember. Probably because the car was leased and I beat the crap out of it and didn't care LOL.

anyway you could imagine my surprise when one day I called his office to have him do some work and she answered!! They ended up getting married. It was all a bit too weird for me so I stopped using him. Was afraid she'd tell him I was a dick and he'd F*** up my car LOL.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
If an established shop had a mobile tech as an option,that would be something to consider.But just a tech that does mobile only work,doesnt give me a sense or security or the repairs.I want a shop that i can physically go to when I need to resolve a problem,not hunt some guy down that you have no idea where he might be.Your only way to locate and communicate with the mobile guy is by phone,thats not appealing to me.A shop,you can deal face to face and theres no way around it.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by Jrocket
If an established shop had a mobile tech as an option,that would be something to consider.But just a tech that does mobile only work,doesnt give me a sense or security or the repairs.I want a shop that i can physically go to when I need to resolve a problem,not hunt some guy down that you have no idea where he might be.Your only way to locate and communicate with the mobile guy is by phone,thats not appealing to me.A shop,you can deal face to face and theres no way around it.
There would definitely be a shop with someone of authority to handle issues. The mobile unit is simply an added feature and will really only be used out of convenience for the customer, not the tech.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:04 PM
dsc

2004 E55
Sounds good to me.