2004 E55 Issues?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for an e55...
2004 E55 Issues?

Hey guys...

Today could be a dream come true day...I'm about to commit to purchase my first E55 (2004). The first time I drove the car was as a driving instructor for the AMG Challenge event in Daytona in 2003. Toward the end of the day, I was giving "hot laps" around the oval...I'm about 6'2" 225lbs, and I had 3 other guys in the car around the same size. As well, the AMG techs were kind enough to bump the speed limiter from 155 to 175mph, which came in handy.

Believe it or not, the 4 of us were lapping the oval seeing top speeds of 181mph (I found a way to squeeze another 6mph before the limiter kicked in). At that point I was sold.

That said...I was wondering what are some of the common issues I need to know about (bad seals, hoses, electronics, etc.)? Have there been any recalls?

Also, what do you guys think the life expectancy is on the supercharged V8? I realize that's 100% based on use, maintenance, and probably some luck. Perhaps, the better way to phrase the question is, what can I do to prolong engine life beyond treating the car well and performing regular/preventative maintenance?

Thanks for the advice...I can't wait to "join the club".

Cheers...AW
Old 10-06-2007, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
intercooler pump
SBC brake failures
Airmatic leaks/problems
drive dynamic seats are problematic (if equipped)

Otherwise its an awesome car and I'd love to get one.