W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mercedes position on selling cars in accidents...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 11:32 AM

Received 99 Likes on 58 Posts
18 E63s Wagon 15 GL63 (sold), 10 Turbo TT MT, A36 Bonanza, 20 JLU Rubicon
Wow...I'm "on probation" now because of this thread.

Looks like the little schoolgirl ran to the teacher.
dude.. you are putting a blanket on everyone here on the forum that isn't fair.. a negative one at that. .... you are getting the answers that you are looking for.. maybe a little patience would have been in order...

as far as experiences... my father bought an 04 E500 4matic from his local dealer..

only after having the car a week.. and cleaning out the rear section of the car.. found some broken glass pieces... figured something was amiss.. took it back to the dealer.. and they denied anything was wrong.. he asked to see the carfax.. and of course on the second page found that the car had been in a major accident... of course, the dealer denied knowing...

they took the car back.. and returned his trade in... in the end.. he went back and negotiated about 5K off the car ...they are standing behind the MB certified warranty and all is good... luckily, the car had had a very very good fixup job..... you really have to pay attention to the carfax... if you find that your car has been damaged and they sold it as a "accident free" car... then you should be able to strong arm the local dealer a bit.

after this experience ..... I can assume that only a dumbass would find one's self in that situation.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M5
Originally Posted by TECHNICIAN
CPO requirements:
1. less than 6 model years old
2. less than 75k miles. must perform compression check if over 60k miles
3. no identifiable structural damage present or evidence of repair
4. no odometer issues
5. No internal MB issues (status 8)

Not every car on the used lot HAS to be certified, its up to the dealer. As for accident damage. A carfax is required to be supplied to the customer. If there is an incident on the carfax its up to the guy certifying the car if it can be certified, as long as there is NO frame damage or repair evidence visible.

Personally I will only certify a car that was repaired properly and an excellent job was done, on a minor collision. MB parts must be used. Paint must look factory. No bondo. Paint depth should be close to original. No adjoining panel repairs. If it doesn't match those criteria I WILL NOT sign off on it and my dealer will not sell the vehicle. I cannot say the same for other dealers and have personally seen CPO'd cars that were very poorly repaired.

FYI...I turned away 3 vehicles last week that ALL had clean Carfax reports, but had been wrecked and poorly repaired. Carfax is a joke.
This pretty much sums it. I test drove a CPO with a real poor repair job. They don't maintain records indicating accidents. The key criteria is no "visible" frame/structural damage. Keep in mind "visible" is very very subjective. The salesperson got frustrated when I pressed the issue because if I didn't know better I could have been fooled to buy a damaged car even though he initially claimed it to be clean. I blame the person certifying the car because it puts the salesperson in a tough position to sell it and to deal with people like me who identified the issue.