Sponsored by:

Need help in buying an 03 E55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 E500, 95 Porsche 993, 93 Mazda RX-7
Need help in buying an 03 E55

Hi guys, I am planning on trading up to an 2003 E55. I currently drive an 2003 E500. I am able to get a deal on one locally. What are things I should focus on mechainically and what services may be due on it, before making this purchase. This E55 has about 50K on it. Thank you in advance.

Last edited by sportxone; 10-15-2007 at 05:50 PM.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
All I can say is warranty,if it doesnt have a decent amount of time left on the warranty,dont do it.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:43 PM

'03 E55
I know that most of you guys really push the warranty on these AMG's, but I just can't bring myself to drop $4,500 for an aftermarket warranty that will only cover the next 2 years. I guess I'm just a bit of a gambler, but my car has given me no reason to remotely consider one.

Other than the IC pump, S/C squeal, and poorly constructed articulating cupholder, my car has been pretty much flawless that I can remember. It was very sluggish for awhile, but that was my fault for not properly cleaning the air filters.

Do any of you buy warranties on electronics, appliances, etc. or is it just these cars.

To the OP, have the tires, brakes, etc. checked by someone during a thorough pre-purchase inspection. Go to your MB dealer and get a list of all services that were performed on the car. If it had any electronic or electric-type problems (radio, seats, windows, sunroof, A/C, etc), then I would agree that a warranty is probably a necessity as any of these problems can cost thousands to fix (same as the E500).

Take the car for a long test drive and really drive it. It should still feel like driving a new or nearly new car. There should be no unusual vibrations, sounds, clanking, etc. You might feel a surge (and possibly hear a squeal) when the car is between 1st and 2nd gear, which is the S/C engaging. This can be somewhat rough and loud in some cars but should be the only unusual part of your drive. With 51k on the odometer, my car is still very tight and rattle free. I have noticed only a very, very slight decline in the way the car rides today compared to when I 1st bought it with 7,000 miles.

Nothing is really cheap to have done to these cars. I have been told that brake pad replacement is a $500-1000 job minimum, tires will run $1,200-1,600 per set with the rears lasting 5-15,000 miles and the fronts lasting 20-30,000 miles. Oil changes will likely set you back $75-150.

If the car does have some warranty on it and the IC pump hasn't been replaced, have them do this for you. Additionally, if you can talk them into it, the updated supercharger clutch really improves the overall driving experience. If still under warranty, the services are included just as your E500 had. Check the dash display to see when the next service is due. If its coming up soon, have them do it before the warrany expires.

If everything checks out with it, enjoy.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 AMG C63 S
Warranty

I've read hundreds of posts advising "get a warranty" including the one above. Try a later year, the money spent along with the warranty will be worth it. On the other hand it's not the end of things if you find an '03 that has the right color and options, they are wicked fast.....
Old 10-15-2007, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
When I say warranty I mean factory MB warranty,not aftermarket.And yes,I think a warranty on one of these cars is very well needed.Though it doesnt happen often,the suspenion on these cars does fail...and its costly when it does.Electronics are just as expensive on some itmes.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:56 PM

03 E55
If the car has lots of options, go with the warranty. Electronics can be extremely expensive to replace. If it's lesser-optioned, it would be easier to gamble. my .02