Non-HID options?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 02:05 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E55
Question Non-HID options?

Please don't get me started on the fact that an $85k sedan doesn't come w/ HIDs standard......

Besides a full OEM conversion or E-Bay kit, what are the options for the existing housings?

Are any of the bulb replacements acceptable from a color/performance standpoint?

Has anyone experienced harness issues using a higher-wattage bulb?

TIA,

Wayne.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Originally Posted by ChicagoX
Please don't get me started on the fact that an $85k sedan doesn't come w/ HIDs standard......

Besides a full OEM conversion or E-Bay kit, what are the options for the existing housings?

Are any of the bulb replacements acceptable from a color/performance standpoint?

TIA,

Wayne.
I am with you on the (Halogen lamps on a $85K car)
My first consideration was brighter lights and quick install. I did not care about the color just the wattage. I have used 100 watt bulbs before and yes they will cause damage to OEM lamps.
For the past year I have run the Oshram rally H7 @ 65 watts in high and low beam and have not seen any damage yet The wires out side of the lamp are still intact and soft, but inside the head lamp could be a different story.
Next month I will convert my headlamps to HID in a kit form, or replace headlamps with OEM BiXenon headlamps.
I ordered the Hid fog lamp kit from Creative, and will probably order an M-Tech H7 kit for the low beam headlight this week. The two problems I have with the stock head lamps are,
1. No ability to adjust low and high beam separately, I will fix that.
2. The lower half of the high beam reflector (bottom) illuminates the trees over head and it drives me crazy I live on a tree lined street that has a full canopy and it is so distracting to have this super bright halo running along over head. I'll fix that too, (black out bottom half.)
If I had it to do over, BiXenon would have been required, I though the car had BiXenon, cause on the radiator support they have warning stickers by the head lamps that read "CAUTION 25,000 VOLTS", I later found out my headlamps were halogen
Old 11-01-2007, 06:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
not stock.

TIA,

Wayne.

$85K car... at least have the decency to shelf out $200 for a "decent" ebay kit...and you may still get it in 4300K to match the Factory Xenons...
Old 11-01-2007, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55

TIA,

Wayne.
Wayne,

I had good luck matching my Bi-Xenons with PIAA Xtreme White Plus Bulbs... In both the High Beam, and the Fogs... The are very close to the HID color, and they are brighter than stock.

Best,

RoydRage