Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SL55 AMG
**SL55 Dynos**

Hey Guys,

Mustang Dyno:

I just got back from the Mustang Dyno, the same Mustang Dyno I had my baseline done. My baseline was done on the Mustang, because we weren't able to get on a DynoJet that day. However, I did get on a DynoJet this past Monday. The MD (Mustang Dyno) was reading very low for the baseline, and after the mods as well. The torque was way off, way too high. It was just a wierd experience for me, my tech (John Nouri-Broadway), as well as the muscle car shop with the Mustang Dyno. This was their first SL55, and for that matter, their first AMG car on that dyno, ever.

I'm not even going to post the MD charts and files because it's just very strange. We were trying to figure out why the HP was so low, and the TQ was so high, but I will write down baseline and modded.

Baseline average of the 4 runs: 305 RWHP & 750 lb TQ
Modded average of the 3 runs: 353 RWHP & 875 lb TQ

All runs were in dyno mode. For the baseline, the first 3 runs were done in 3rd gear. 4th run was done in 4th gear. Today, the 1st run was done in 3rd, and the 2nd and 3rd runs were done in 4th gear. All the runs in 3rd gear were from 65-70mph and on, until the gear changed and you will see a big dip in the dyno chart. The 4th gear runs were done around 75-80mph and on, until you see a big dip in the dyno chart. Don't really know why the HP was so low. The TQ spiked. We have no answers for that either.

I know that these numbers may seem very foreign to you guys. But MD's are very different than DynoJets, so that is why I also went to a DynoJet to get some numbers for you all to see. I wish that there was a formula or something. Some muscle car guys that I've spoken to say there could be a discrepency of 15-30% for HP. But, there is no set formula.

The important thing for me is, that I gained power! Even if these numbers look awkward and strange, I know I gained some good power.

DynoJet:

I wished that I was able to get a baseline number on the DynoJet, but we weren't able to. The DynoJet at this corvette performance place was all booked that week and I needed to start getting the work done on my car. I have included a copy of the best and highest DynoJet file. I made 3 runs. First run was in 3rd gear. 485 rwhp and 475 lb tq. Second run was the best, which you will see. The the third was around 490 rwhp and 485 lb tq.

I am very happy with the results. With my specific mods and upgrades, these numbers seem consistant with other modded 55k engines. One thing I did notice was that my HP was higher than my TQ. With my E55, my TQ was higer. Again, my E55 dynoed at an entirely different place. Every dyno is different, every little facotr can come into play. I'm just happy with my results and it feels good to know that I gained some power.

BTW, Cylinder Head's M5 dynoed on the same DynoJet. He put down 424 rwhp, which is very strong for an M5. I've seen M5's on DynoJets do 405-425 rwhp stock. He put down some low TQ number that's not worth mentioning...LOL. I have his file somewhere, I'll post it when I find it.

Thanks for reading guys!

Max Power: 495.03
Max Torque: 490.62
Attached Thumbnails **SL55 Dynos**-sl55dyno.jpg  
Old 11-01-2007, 03:59 PM

2005 SL55 AMG
Video

Just in case anyone asks for a video, I have a few. I just uploaded one up on youtube. I was in a rush and forgot to bring my camera to record the DynoJet runs. I have the Mustang runs recorded. I uploaded the best one. Wait until 20 seconds or so, then the SL starts screaming.....I love it....

Here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADMvd6u6RGk
Old 11-01-2007, 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Sunny are you Renntech stage 5. I think the torque looks a liitle low.. Also, do you have an A/F reading.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
Excellent results Sunny! I had a feeling your car would be just under 500rwhp. Great numbers man. BTW, I think I'm going out to Edgewater tonight so maybe I'll see you there.

And yes, The M5's numbers look very strong, no wonder why combined with the gearing the M5's can pull 55's up top.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by ItalianStallion
Excellent results Sunny! I had a feeling your car would be just under 500rwhp. Great numbers man. BTW, I think I'm going out to Edgewater tonight so maybe I'll see you there.

And yes, The M5's numbers look very strong, no wonder why combined with the gearing the M5's can pull 55's up top.
Hey bro, what time are you thinking of going out to Edgewater? Do people still go out there? Who else is going?
Old 11-01-2007, 04:20 PM

2005 SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by SleeperX
Sunny are you Renntech stage 5. I think the torque looks a liitle low.. Also, do you have an A/F reading.
Hey, I'll get that for you in a bit. Yea, the TQ seems a little low doesn't it? My E55 TQ was higher. I wrote down sthe A/F somewhere. My office is a mess now, I just got back and I wanted to post everything.

No, it's not Renntech. I have Kleemann K2, with IC pump upgrade (CM90), phenolic spacers, sport cats, no resonators.

Now I really want to pass that 500 mark. Thinking about getting the 80mm TB.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:21 PM

2005 SL55 AMG

Thanks! I'll think about going there tonight. It's nice today. I wonder if it's going to be wack again???
Old 11-01-2007, 04:24 PM

2005 SL55 AMG
A/F mixture: 11.2-11.3
Old 11-01-2007, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by Sunny55
Hey, I'll get that for you in a bit. Yea, the TQ seems a little low doesn't it? My E55 TQ was higher. I wrote down sthe A/F somewhere. My office is a mess now, I just got back and I wanted to post everything.

No, it's not Renntech. I have Kleemann K2, with IC pump upgrade (CM90), phenolic spacers, sport cats, no resonators.

Strong hp numbers for a K2 car.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Real Cars
Sunny,

I don't mean to pick on you - but I think posts like yours illustrate why it's important - when possible - to have your car worked on and dyno'd by a shop that has experience with doing AMG cars and has done AMG cars. The questions like is your torque low, how does your HP compare, they are all kind of dodgy because you don't have another K2 car that has been on that shop's dyno to compare it to. Comparing it to other Dynojet K2 cars would say your RWHP is good, but your RWTQ is low - but even from Dynojet to Dynojet, things aren't always equal.

It really is worthwhile to go with a shop that has the ability to mod AND dyno all in the same place - and that this place actually works on MB/AMG cars routinely (IE, there is always at least 1 at the shop being worked on).

I've had all my MBs (except my W210) dyno'd at the same shop and am able to compare my dyno's with umpteen other 55, 600, 65, etc cars whenever I do dyno so we can see how my car is doing not only compared to a baseline but also to other cars with similar configurations.

Good luck buddy,

-m
Old 11-01-2007, 04:37 PM

2004 S55 AMG
The hp numbers is damn good real strong but you should be putting down 550 to 600 rwtq. Tq numbers looks a little better than a stock 55.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
Originally Posted by SleeperX
Hey bro, what time are you thinking of going out to Edgewater? Do people still go out there? Who else is going?
I will be heading out there tonight, I have school but will go home to finish a project I have to and off to NJ it is. Hey frank tell me where to meet you...
Old 11-01-2007, 04:54 PM

2005 SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
Sunny,

I don't mean to pick on you - but I think posts like yours illustrate why it's important - when possible - to have your car worked on and dyno'd by a shop that has experience with doing AMG cars and has done AMG cars. The questions like is your torque low, how does your HP compare, they are all kind of dodgy because you don't have another K2 car that has been on that shop's dyno to compare it to. Comparing it to other Dynojet K2 cars would say your RWHP is good, but your RWTQ is low - but even from Dynojet to Dynojet, things aren't always equal.

It really is worthwhile to go with a shop that has the ability to mod AND dyno all in the same place - and that this place actually works on MB/AMG cars routinely (IE, there is always at least 1 at the shop being worked on).

I've had all my MBs (except my W210) dyno'd at the same shop and am able to compare my dyno's with umpteen other 55, 600, 65, etc cars whenever I do dyno so we can see how my car is doing not only compared to a baseline but also to other cars with similar configurations.

Good luck buddy,

-m
Marcus,

Non taken my friend. I totally agree with you. You are correct, we had no other K2 car to compare on these exact same dynos. I did choose a very trustworthy tech/shop, that has experience with AMG mods and installs. Too bad they don't have a dynojet there. Given the limited time on my hands, due to work, my tech and I just found the closest dyno places around. Now that I experienced the MD, I can say that I'm not going to dyno or tune my AMG on that again. You are also right on another point, every dyno is different, even each dynojet is different. Maybe next time I will go find a DynoJet that has dynoed many AMG cars.

Thanks for the input.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your worst nightmare...
Sunny congrats, those are some awesome numbers my friend. You are just shy of the 500 mark. Awesome!!
Old 11-01-2007, 06:59 PM

A slow Tahoe!

Now I really want to pass that 500 mark. Thinking about getting the 80mm TB.[/QUOTE]

With my baseline at 428 rwhp stock, what do you think a K2 package would put mine at? 428 does seem high for a stock E55 but for estimating purposes lets say around 420, still what would K2 put it at?
Old 11-01-2007, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E 55
Originally Posted by E55BKS

With my baseline at 428 rwhp stock, what do you think a K2 package would put mine at? 428 does seem high for a stock E55 but for estimating purposes lets say around 420, still what would K2 put it at?
I think 428 is credible for stock, my car made around 427 to 430 sae on it's best pass stock. Take it to the track with the mods and that will tell you everything.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:00 AM

2005 SL55 AMG
It was great meeting you guys!!! Next time we will go for some runs. Let's figure something out!
Old 11-02-2007, 01:09 AM

2005 SL55 AMG
Hmmm...I'm not sure what to tell you, except go get on a dyno and to the track. I wish I could tell you hard numbers, but from experience, and from other enthusiasts experience, a baseline dyno would have helped.

Good luck. I'm sure you gained good power. I'm not big on these dyno numbers, I just wanted to know I gained power.

Next for me is taking the car to the track....
Old 11-02-2007, 07:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
Hmmm...I'm not sure what to tell you, except go get on a dyno and to the track. I wish I could tell you hard numbers, but from experience, and from other enthusiasts experience, a baseline dyno would have helped.

Good luck. I'm sure you gained good power. I'm not big on these dyno numbers, I just wanted to know I gained power.

Next for me is taking the car to the track....
Yeah, it was really nice meeting Jody and seeing all the familiar faces again.

Before you head out to the track lemme know, I'd like to come out too and witness this beast in action . I want to see (and hear) Jody's car run too
Old 11-02-2007, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your worst nightmare...
Yeah, it was really nice meeting Jody and seeing all the familiar faces again.

Before you head out to the track lemme know, I'd like to come out too and witness this beast in action . I want to see (and hear) Jody's car run too
Hey guys, great meeting all of you yesterday, you guys are all fun to talk to and hang with. We have to do this more often. Next track event is right around the corner hopefully we could all make it.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 558 Likes on 368 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Originally Posted by MIG-E55Rocket
Hey guys, great meeting all of you yesterday, you guys are all fun to talk to and hang with. We have to do this more often. Next track event is right around the corner hopefully we could all make it.

Doctor MIG hit the nail on the head last night. Sunny has a loose exhaust flange that's bleeding air pressure hence causing the car to loose torque. Excellent diagnosis.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your worst nightmare...
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
Doctor MIG hit the nail on the head last night. Sunny has a loose exhaust flange that's bleeding air pressure hence causing the car to loose torque. Excellent diagnosis.
I am going to admit we all have the same problem, Me, Sleeper X and Sunny, and we all have in common one thing...Kleeman Downpipes. it looks like the flange is too thin so if not tighten properly it will let air out, you loose backpressure. Not good.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 558 Likes on 368 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Originally Posted by MIG-E55Rocket
I am going to admit we all have the same problem, Me, Sleeper X and Sunny, and we all have in common one thing...Kleeman Downpipes. it looks like the flange is too thin so if not tighten properly it will let air out, you loose backpressure. Not good.
Just thinking about the physics of that even makes me sick to my stomach. Pressure loss causing uneven exhaust pulses, air leaking out in some places but not in others, eww so not good for your car.

Definitely good seeing you guys, we should make it a regular thing because honestly we owned that freakin parking lot.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63S coupe, X5M
Just in case anyone asks for a video, I have a few. I just uploaded one up on youtube. I was in a rush and forgot to bring my camera to record the DynoJet runs. I have the Mustang runs recorded. I uploaded the best one. Wait until 20 seconds or so, then the SL starts screaming.....I love it....

Here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADMvd6u6RGk
That sounded freaking awesome
Old 11-02-2007, 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Good seeing you guys!!! Cylinder Head, I thought we discussed your signature...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.