Sponsored by:

Overheated Super Charger?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 02:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL65
Overheated Super Charger?

What happens when the SC overheats and shuts down. I know power is lost. I've just had a few times where it felt like the power shut off for maybe 1/2 to 1 second and then resumed. Can the traction control brake so hard as to make it feel like the power is gone? How long does the SC stay shut down?

The other night I was just doing a short sprint for fun and I floored it while in first gear from a slow roll. I had manually put it in first. When it hit second it shut down about 1 second into second gear and then resumed full power after about another second and kept pulling into third when I let off. The weather was cool, low 60's so I thought it probably was TC.

All I have in mods is an ECU tune and K&N filters.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:50 PM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by waxking1
What happens when the SC overheats and shuts down. I know power is lost. I've just had a few times where it felt like the power shut off for maybe 1/2 to 1 second and then resumed. Can the traction control brake so hard as to make it feel like the power is gone? How long does the SC stay shut down?

The other night I was just doing a short sprint for fun and I floored it while in first gear from a slow roll. I had manually put it in first. When it hit second it shut down about 1 second into second gear and then resumed full power after about another second and kept pulling into third when I let off. The weather was cool, low 60's so I thought it probably was TC.

All I have in mods is an ECU tune and K&N filters.
OMG I was actually going to boos the same thing!

Was at one of our street racing areas
From dig I give full throttle and got lots of traction flickering and interference, then when it shifts to second the car just jolts falls on its face and no power for a sec then resumes and pulls hard. Its like a major ESP cut off! Can not really tell if it is massive wheel spin….because there is no way to drive hard in first gear with esp off with out getting wheel spin.
Its funny, but cost me a bit on the race distance, but I passed on third easy...

Now my question is this
Is this normal?
Has happened 3 times under full acceleration from a stop.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
The dumb questions,
1. Road conditions?
2. Condition and inflation of rear tires?
3. Will this happen in sport mode?

Could be wheel spin 1-2 (ESP pulls power), or manual mode late shift (engine bounces off rev limiter) first guess.

At the near end of my OEM Continental tires lives, they became so hard (too many thermo cycles) that at 3/4 throttle the yellow triangle would light up solid on a 1-2 shift. I would think old tires bad road late shift all could contribute to an MB intervention.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL65
Yacht Master,
I think you nailed it for my problem. I've got Continentals, and the rear ones are nearing replacement time. I had them inflated to about 36 lbs cold because I had just taken a trip and knew I would be driving fast part of the time. Also I agree it is possible that it is bouncing off the rev limiter. The cooler weather gives more power and poorer traction.

I guess I need to get some PS2s for the rears, but I just replaced the fronts with more Continentals. For now I will lower the pressure in the rears to 30 or so and see if it helps.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 E55
That's definitely NOT the normal S/C shut down. When that happens, it's typically at higher speeds and for a longer duration. You will have a hard time pulling on a Prius when it happens.