Quick Advice on Upgrades

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
Question Quick Advice on Upgrades

I've read the forums and have seen tons of different things you can do to these E55s. For someone that does not want the stealership to give him too much grief, what are the best mods besides the K&N CAI and an ECU tune?

Changing pulleys seems to be a quick no no from the stealership.

Have seen things like Carbon Air Boxes, but I doubt they do much.

Deleting resonators? Not sure if it does anything but sound meaner...same with changing exhausts.

I'm thinking bigger tires than stock might work well also at getting the power to the pavement quicker...either 275s on my stock rims or going with some moblite 19" rims with 275 tires or so.

Any tips in this area would be nice. Feel free to PM me any suggestions also if you want.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55
Originally Posted by Timeless
I've read the forums and have seen tons of different things you can do to these E55s. For someone that does not want the stealership to give him too much grief, what are the best mods besides the K&N CAI and an ECU tune?

Changing pulleys seems to be a quick no no from the stealership.

Have seen things like Carbon Air Boxes, but I doubt they do much.

Deleting resonators? Not sure if it does anything but sound meaner...same with changing exhausts.

I'm thinking bigger tires than stock might work well also at getting the power to the pavement quicker...either 275s on my stock rims or going with some moblite 19" rims with 275 tires or so.

Any tips in this area would be nice. Feel free to PM me any suggestions also if you want.
It varies what a particular dealer will look the other way on... I think that MB won't look the other way on anything.

I doubt the modified exhaust would be a good thing because it's blatantly obvious.

Of all the things you mentioned, and ECU tune would be invisible, Adam from EuroElites on this forum administered a Custom EvoTech tune on my car and that along with BMC filters did absolute wonders.

SLR cams would be pretty hard to verify w/o a teardown, but that would also require a pretty substantial teardown to install...

A 78mm Throttle Body might also be a possibility to you... Maybe another 15HP ?

Best,

RoydRage
Old 11-03-2007, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 ///AMG
What exactly are these spacers?

Thanks for your help.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55
Originally Posted by Timeless
What exactly are these spacers?

Thanks for your help.
They are Phenolic... which is an insulator. It stops the engine from transfering heat into the intake... For every 10 F.reduction in heat, you get about a 1% increase in power if the pressure remains the same. Compressor motors heat the Fuel/Air intake charge, that's why when you get a pulley that drives the Supercharger faster... You have to accompany that with a IC Mod, to decrease IAT's (intake air Temps). When you compress air it gets hot, Heat decreases the molecular density of the fuel meaning there is less room for oxygen. In other words the intake charge is less potent.

The spacers help reduce heat soke of the intake. Hope this helps.

Best,

RoydRage
Old 11-04-2007, 06:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 ///AMG
Originally Posted by RoydRage
They are Phenolic... which is an insulator. It stops the engine from transfering heat into the intake... For every 10 F.reduction in heat, you get about a 1% increase in power if the pressure remains the same. Compressor motors heat the Fuel/Air intake charge, that's why when you get a pulley that drives the Supercharger faster... You have to accompany that with a IC Mod, to decrease IAT's (intake air Temps). When you compress air it gets hot, Heat decreases the molecular density of the fuel meaning there is less room for oxygen. In other words the intake charge is less potent.

The spacers help reduce heat soke of the intake. Hope this helps.

Best,

RoydRage
Thanks for the help. It basically seems the next steps beyone CAI and ECU Tune are pulleys and headers.

Pulleys seem to lead to other expenses like cooling mods.

Both would be noticeable to the dealer, but I doubt headers would be a big deal to them...probably much less so than a pulley.