W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

STAR/DAS Limits?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2007 | 07:20 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
STAR/DAS Limits?

How far can one adjust fuel/spark on a STAR/DAS machine?

If I snuck a dyno into the dealership over a weekend, could I conceivably custom-tune for mods?

If not, then what the hell are people using to tune these bloody things? I'm used to the ol' laptop doing the dirty work, and I feel like we're being held prisoner.

Why should everyone from Audis to Z-28s have self-tuning options, but the Benzes have nothing?

grumble grumble grumble...
Old 11-09-2007 | 04:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
Originally Posted by ChicagoX
How far can one adjust fuel/spark on a STAR/DAS machine?

If I snuck a dyno into the dealership over a weekend, could I conceivably custom-tune for mods?

If not, then what the hell are people using to tune these bloody things? I'm used to the ol' laptop doing the dirty work, and I feel like we're being held prisoner.

Why should everyone from Audis to Z-28s have self-tuning options, but the Benzes have nothing?

grumble grumble grumble...
I know you can make the car to run richer with star...
Old 11-09-2007 | 10:09 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
The only thing that can be done is a selection of 3 different fuel octane levels which in turn changes the ignition timing map.

The setting you want to run is: BASE SETTING believe it or not.. all the other options will reduce timing, and as a result reduce power.
Old 11-09-2007 | 10:37 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
Thanks for the info.

If DAS isn't the answer, what are the "tuners" using to fully adjust spark/load/fuel maps?

Do I need to wake up my hex-code Gimp to write some software?
Old 11-09-2007 | 11:11 AM
SPONSOR

C63S
Thanks for the info.

If DAS isn't the answer, what are the "tuners" using to fully adjust spark/load/fuel maps?

Do I need to wake up my hex-code Gimp to write some software?
Wayne - I did tons of research on this a few months back. I can share everything with you tomorrow.

Here are some of the places I researched.

http://web.dimsport.com/site/

http://www.byteshooter.co.uk/

http://www.diga-tec.com/

http://www.checksumm.com/index.php?s...t_from=&ucat=&

http://www.checksumm.com/index.php?s...t_from=&ucat=&

http://www.optican.net/index.htm

Bascially, I prefer Dimsport, but they haven't released the module yet (as of May) that allows you to tune the car while it's on the dyno.

I thought the ME2.8 wasn't writable via the OBDII, but things change, so maybe it is now.

Dimsport has this little product called Genius that is basically a handheld reader / writer. It's a neat little product that, combined with their software, makes a powerful tuning solution.

There are also old school ways of tuning using byteshooter and your favorite software.

LETMotorsports signed a deal with Evotech that made them the offical Evotech dealer in Houston. However, if we can get 10 guys together here in Chicago, then they will fly a tech here and custom tune our cars on the dyno.

I write code all day long, so this is something that has caught my eye for some time. Hopefully, one day I'll be able to try it out.

I'll have more info for you tomorrow.
Old 11-09-2007 | 01:33 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
Originally Posted by AMG-Jerry
.... However, if we can get 10 guys together here in Chicago, then they will fly a tech here and custom tune our cars on the dyno. ...

For 10 grand, wouldn't you rather own the equipment ? I've dyno-tuned enough cars myself to resent paying someone else for the (sometimes inadequate) job.

Thanks for all of the info. I'll see you at the track tomorrow.
Old 11-09-2007 | 01:40 PM
SPONSOR

C63S
For 10 grand, wouldn't you rather own the equipment ? I've dyno-tuned enough cars myself to resent paying someone else for the (sometimes inadequate) job.

Thanks for all of the info. I'll see you at the track tomorrow.

I agree!! That is why I did all the research. I've never tuned a car before but I would love to try.

Trending Topics

Old 11-09-2007 | 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

new balance
according to their website they have an OBD based application for all of the newest benzes, how much is this product?
Old 11-09-2007 | 02:03 PM
SPONSOR

C63S
Originally Posted by E55JAY
according to their website they have an OBD based application for all of the newest benzes, how much is this product?
Attached is the quote provided to me. This includes the software / the handheld reader / writer.

Also attached is the latest application list. This shows all of the cars you can tune with their product.

I have one quote from them that would allow you to tune any car, either through the OBDII port or via serial on chip programming. It was 12k Euros.

Hope this helps.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Neo Velocity1.pdf (101.0 KB, 2425 views)
Old 11-09-2007 | 08:35 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
Thanks much.