Sponsored by:

E63 ceramic brakes onto E55 ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 AMG
E63 ceramic brakes onto E55 ?

The 63s come with an option for ceramic brakes - does any one know if they will retro fit to an E55 211?
Is it just the discs and pads that are different, in which case they should change over easily assuming the caliper spacing is the same; or does the 63setup use different calipers too ?
Old 11-27-2007, 02:25 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by joe w211
The 63s come with an option for ceramic brakes - does any one know if they will retro fit to an E55 211?

I haven't heard about that rumor since back in '04. It was supposed to be one of the components of the 030 package, but was left out due to true demand. You sure you aren't talking about the composite brakes that are available as a part of the 030 package? Also, the OEM E63 FRONT rotors are composite as well, but the exact same size as the E55 ones.

Is it just the discs and pads that are different, in which case they should change over easily assuming the caliper spacing is the same; or does the 63setup use different calipers too ?
The 63s do use a different caliper as well, but I tried the E63 front rotors on the E55. I stopped short of actually putting everything together for a few reasons. First, they were only 4-5 lbs lighter than my OEM ones. That was really the problem. Then, the best deal I found was $1500 for a set of two fronts. That still left the rears to deal with.

In the end, I went with the EVOsport Rotors (4) and Porterfield pads all around, installed for $2000. That was the best deal I found and I love the difference. Not sure how much of it is the pads and how much rotors, but give a damn.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 AMG
Sorry - yes must be the composite set up that i have heard about on the 63

Thanks for the reply - I will look at the EVOsport set up, or perhaps a Tarox 12pot setup as they are bit nearer to home.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:28 PM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
SL600
You can retrofit high-quality ceramic brakes to your car without taking them off an E63 you know...

Lots of manufacturers make ceramic pads, and you can buy good quality lightweight rotors that will fit your car, like Brembo's as an example, without spending the fortune that OEM Benz parts will cost.

At the end of the day, you will end up with better quality than what you will get off an E63, for a lower price.

The caliper design you don't really want to mess with. That will get expensive, and I doubt it will yield any improvements for you performance-wise. The main benefit in the optional E63 design is having gone all-ceramic, because you get a lot less heat fade, your rotors will last a lot longer, and brake dust is greatly reduced.

You can easily replicate this by just changing your brakes over to high-quality ceramics without even messing with the calipers, though.

Also, a word to the wise: I had ceramics on a porsche and an M-Roadster, and they squeak something awful. If you're the type that will be embarassed when valets tell you "dude, you need new brakes" then don't get ceramics.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:16 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Hold up. The E63 DOES NOT have a ceramic brake option. This is a horse that I've beat to death already. I tried everything, including the E63 setup. In the end, either get a Brembo GT kit OR get the EVOSport Rotors with Porterfield pads. I went the EVOSport slotted and drilled with Porterfield pads and couldn't be happier. the car is MUCH more nimble.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:36 PM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
SL600
Originally Posted by jangy
Hold up. The E63 DOES NOT have a ceramic brake option. This is a horse that I've beat to death already. I tried everything, including the E63 setup. In the end, either get a Brembo GT kit OR get the EVOSport Rotors with Porterfield pads. I went the EVOSport slotted and drilled with Porterfield pads and couldn't be happier. the car is MUCH more nimble.
I guess I learn something new every day.

Don't remember where I heard it from, but I would've sworn the 63s came with ceramics.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 JDM
...I went the EVOSport slotted and drilled with Porterfield pads and couldn't be happier....
Please elaborate. What is better? Just fade resistance? Or is stopping distance decreased? or

$2k may be worth it considering the stealer quoted me $1,400 for stock pads and rotors...

thanks..
Old 11-29-2007, 12:57 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by J 2OOI
Please elaborate. What is better? Just fade resistance? Or is stopping distance decreased? or

$2k may be worth it considering the stealer quoted me $1,400 for stock pads and rotors...

thanks..
10lbs lighter per rotor on the front and 6lbs on the rear. Dirrectional air flow. Porterfield pads. The brakes bite much sharper now. they also do not show the heat soak that I was getting before, although i do not have enough data for that.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by J 2OOI

thanks..
I got 4 wheels worth of pads and rotors installed for $620. That 1400 quote is insane. Cost on a front rotor is 72 bucks pads are 68 bucks for both sides (front) rear rotors and like 50 bucks and pads are about the same.

Thats a big bunch of labor.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 JDM
10lbs lighter per rotor on the front and 6lbs on the rear. Dirrectional air flow. Porterfield pads. The brakes bite much sharper now. they also do not show the heat soak that I was getting before, although i do not have enough data for that.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
I got 4 wheels worth of pads and rotors installed for $620. That 1400 quote is insane. Cost on a front rotor is 72 bucks pads are 68 bucks for both sides (front) rear rotors and like 50 bucks and pads are about the same.

Thats a big bunch of labor.
Are the prices you quoted for Mercedes OEM equipment?? If so, you are right, I will ask the stealer to break it out for me. Is there a place I can buy the OEM parts online or something for the prices you quoted??

TIA
Old 11-29-2007, 10:26 AM

Received 132 Likes on 77 Posts
S 63 Coupe, GLS 63
The only MB with ceramic rotors is the SLR. $15k each