Sponsored by:

Question: 03 e55 owner chime in!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E55 K1
03 E55 review

I have an 03 E55 with 28K on the clock. I had a major electrical failure at around 12K. The car would start but absolutely nothing worked including getting the car out of first gear. MB repaired under warranty and also did the dreaded ECU reflash at the same time. After I picked up the car I noticed SC was not working. SC came back on its own after a week of hard driving but MB said we should replace ECU so we did. Car seemed weaker for some time after so could have been ECU reflash. After a few more months MB said SC belt should be replaced due to wear. They then replaced SC pulley as well. Again under warranty.

Up until about six months ago my car always felt a little anemic compared to others I've read about on this forum. I made two changes I would strongly recommnd to any W211 owner. First make sure car octane is set for "base". Some have screwed with this. Don't. Second get MB to replace I/C pump. I couldn't tell I had a problem with performance but after I replaced pump my car has been a MONSTER.

The problem with these cars is that they have so much torque that a modest loss of performance due to whatever will not be missed by those who don't know what the car's true potential is. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if some people didn't add mods because they were disappointed in performance without realizing it was there all the time.

I have also had the car in the shop for a gas leak which MB made worse before they made it better. If you're looking for reliability buy a Lexus. If you want ear to ear grins and a beautiful driving machine. The E55 is your best choice.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:53 AM

e55
CWW: Where you located?

Originally Posted by CWW
Not sure about the electrical issues, but I have looked at a lot of '03s with between 20k and 40k miles over the last two or three weeks, and I can tell you flat out that $50k would be an exorbitant price, CPO warranty or not.

'03s are currently booking out at $39k+/- on trade-in and $41-$42k private party, and those figures are going to fall significantly when the books update for '08 in January. Remember, BlueBook, BlackBook, Edmunds, NADA, etc. are all several months behind by the time you get the figures, and the 55s have now been phased out in favor of the 63s for 2007. Despite the common sentiments that the 55 may be a better car, the financial reality is that the worst thing you can have for resale value is a model change. This impact is not yet reflected in the book values...but it will be soon.

Everyone is already expecting this...look at Ebay as an example. 99% of E55s listed there are going unsold, and if you view all the different auctions and check where the bidding stops on the '03s, they seem to be worth mid/high 30s max. '04s can be high 30s to low 40s, depending on warranty situation and mileage.

Granted the CPO adds some resale value, but not that much. I had an authorized benz dealer down to $39k for a CPO '03 E55 two weeks ago, and there is an '04 with every option and 28k miles for sale right down the street from my house for $45k. I passed on the first one for lack of options, and the second one because I thought the price was too high.

Based on what I've seen, if you paid $50k for any '03, you'd be overpaying by around $10k. I think $40k/$41k max is a fair price for that car with the CPO coverage. Without it, it would be down in the $30k's.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:58 AM

e55
{QUOTE=TopGun32;2525903]ditto.

trans/torque converter replace for the jerking

pump

new clutch for the kompressor

no electrical issues at all..

U sure it was 03 E55 you heard with problems? I have a C32 and its plagued with electrical issues.

The E class is pretty solid.[/QUOTE]

Local MB Mechanic told me about the electrical issues. Also a lot of bugs since it was the first year of the w211
Old 12-02-2007, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 AMG C63 S
Originally Posted by CWW
Not sure about the electrical issues, but I have looked at a lot of '03s with between 20k and 40k miles over the last two or three weeks, and I can tell you flat out that $50k would be an exorbitant price, CPO warranty or not.

'03s are currently booking out at $39k+/- on trade-in and $41-$42k private party, and those figures are going to fall significantly when the books update for '08 in January. Remember, BlueBook, BlackBook, Edmunds, NADA, etc. are all several months behind by the time you get the figures, and the 55s have now been phased out in favor of the 63s for 2007. Despite the common sentiments that the 55 may be a better car, the financial reality is that the worst thing you can have for resale value is a model change. This impact is not yet reflected in the book values...but it will be soon.

Everyone is already expecting this...look at Ebay as an example. 99% of E55s listed there are going unsold, and if you view all the different auctions and check where the bidding stops on the '03s, they seem to be worth mid/high 30s max. '04s can be high 30s to low 40s, depending on warranty situation and mileage.

Granted the CPO adds some resale value, but not that much. I had an authorized benz dealer down to $39k for a CPO '03 E55 two weeks ago, and there is an '04 with every option and 28k miles for sale right down the street from my house for $45k. I passed on the first one for lack of options, and the second one because I thought the price was too high.

Based on what I've seen, if you paid $50k for any '03, you'd be overpaying by around $10k. I think $40k/$41k max is a fair price for that car with the CPO coverage. Without it, it would be down in the $30k's.
Excellent post.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:30 AM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
SL600
Originally Posted by m7ich7ael7
CWW: Where you located?
Currently in Jacksonville Florida, but I have been driving all over the state looking at E55's.