Sponsored by:

Fuel leak (bad one)...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2005 E55 Wagon
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I thought I would share.

In 08, I got the recall letter on the fuel leak and the dealer took care of it (replaced one of the pumps/sending unit). All was ok until yesterday. Filled up, went home and parked the wagon in the garage and took a nap waiting for wife and kids. I woke up to my family waking me up and telling me there is a problem in the garage. The garage door was open but there was a overbearing strong smell of gas. My wife and kids thought it was the gas line or something to the water heater. But, I knew from the smell it was gasoline. I looked under the wagon and there was this pool of gas under the driver side rear wheel. It was still slowly seaping gas. Told family to clear way, put the car in neutral and pushed wagon to the street, all the while I am leaving a small trail of gas. Did my best to empty the gas that gathered in the plastic underside protector and checked under the seats (which was dry). Upon closer inspection, it was clear that gas was coming from top of the tank. Had the car towed to the dealer this am. Dealer said they are replacing the entire gas tank and both fuel pumps. All of this is covered by my extended warranty. A few days ago, I remember smelling gas that I had not before. It was not very strong so I did not think much of it.... now I know it was the pump/tank.

If you smell gas around your car that you had not before, you might want to take a quick look under the car and car seats.

Last edited by jcjmw; 10-03-2011 at 03:34 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
Good thing that your wife/kids alerted you to this. And also good that the warranty is covering all of this to replace the tank, which is the culprit and not the fuel sending unit, which MB thinks it to be. Sure MB wouldnt have replaced it on their dime!
Old 10-03-2011, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2005 E55 Wagon
Originally Posted by novae500
Good thing that your wife/kids alerted you to this. And also good that the warranty is covering all of this to replace the tank, which is the culprit and not the fuel sending unit, which MB thinks it to be. Sure MB wouldnt have replaced it on their dime!
You got that right!

Dealer just called to say the work is done.

I just hope nothing serious ever, ever happens to anyone from this fuel leak issue!
Old 10-03-2011, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Originally Posted by jcjmw
You got that right!

Dealer just called to say the work is done.

I just hope nothing serious ever, ever happens to anyone from this fuel leak issue!
Glad it is working out...I had to let my car air out for a couple of weeks before the gas smell would leave.

Jon