MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W211 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg-81/)
-   -   Best Quality Wheels??? (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/224127-best-quality-wheels.html)

Sunny55 12-28-2007 11:17 AM

There are so many quality wheels out there.

HRE is awesome, but they bend really easily. That's the only reason I don't do HRE anymore, bent way too many. Iforged is also great, as well as DPE. BBS has always been solid, but the only thing that bothers me is that BBS closed down all their Asia Pacific offices. Maybe some turmoil within the corporation?

360 forged looks hot. I wonder how the CF will hold up on those wheels.

If you are into 1-pce forged lightweight wheels, CCW has got to be one of the best. I actually just took off my 20" Renntech monolites and put on the 19" CCWs. I'll post pics soon.

Iforged just came out with a Track Edition lineup. It's from the same factory that makes the CCW and the HRE competition series. They are all 1-pce lightweight forged.

There's also a new brand of multi-pce wheels that are really cool. It's called Enkreuz. (www.enkreuz.com)

Sunny55 12-28-2007 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by E55JAY (Post 2570565)
the best quality wheels come from Japan, hands down. Neez, Champion, Volk, BBS racing are all japanese

Don't forget WORK wheels! They are super light and super strong!

KrisKeeney 12-28-2007 12:17 PM

Awesome information guys; I truly appreciate your insight.

Kris Keeney

AMGfan 12-28-2007 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by 2005E55AMGLOL (Post 2570648)
what size tires are u running and whats the widest u can go?

255/35 front
285/30 rear

kipper215 12-28-2007 01:19 PM

First you have to decide what type of look do you want for your car. Tuner style or VIP. once you make that decision then you should shop in that direction. tuner style will require a smaller diameter rim as your goal is performance driven. VIP style, 20 inches strong. I chose asanti after 2 hours of being in a store looking at every single rim I could. brushed aluminum is popular and so is color matching. 3-piece forged will cost you doe but, it's an AMG and cheap rims are not an option. the car is heavy and very demanding on rims and tires. stick with a forged wheel.

2005E55AMGLOL 12-28-2007 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by AMGfan (Post 2570792)
255/35 front
285/30 rear

oh its not 255/40 and 285/35?

and did u need any spacers or do you rub

im on stock susp. right now but most likely going renntech LM, although i have a couple people interested in the car with offers on the table and it might end up selling.

AMGfan 12-28-2007 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by 2005E55AMGLOL (Post 2570872)
oh its not 255/40 and 285/35?

and did u need any spacers or do you rub

im on stock susp. right now but most likely going renntech LM, although i have a couple people interested in the car with offers on the table and it might end up selling.

35 series front and 30 series rear...Per my invoice, I did not see any spacers were used and my car is lowered via Kleeman lowering module and I have NO rubber whatsoever.

Good luck with the sale.

blackbenzz 12-28-2007 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by hakaida442 (Post 2570393)
I've always had good experiences with fikse and kinesis, but I don't think they look good on mercedes.

Are they really that bad? :nix:
http://img2.putfile.com/thumb/9/25523282970.jpg

BenzoBoi 12-28-2007 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by blackbenzz (Post 2570953)
Are they really that bad? :nix:
http://img2.putfile.com/thumb/9/25523282970.jpg

I think Kinesis wheels look awesome on the W211...but then again I am a lil bias :rolleyes::D

There is also another member on this forum that is running Kinesis also...I think it looks great!!!

PerisanGodFatha 12-28-2007 03:08 PM

how come nobody said HRE? or did they

SaMaS 12-28-2007 03:12 PM

Sunny55 did... I have HRE and I like them...

JDM_SXE-10 12-28-2007 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by E55JAY (Post 2570565)
the best quality wheels come from Japan, hands down. Neez, Champion, Volk, BBS racing are all japanese

BBS is not a Japanese wheel. Volk Racing is actually a division of RAYS Engineering.

MB_Forever 12-28-2007 03:20 PM

The dymag 18" are 13.2 lbs :eek: but like others have mentioned, they may be a little weaker than other wheels :nix: Somebody had them on a Porsche, and I think they paid close to $3,300 per wheel, so you're looking at close to $14,000 :eek: :eek: equivalent to RennTech Stage 5 :D

ENDSMTG 12-28-2007 03:24 PM

I have a set of HRE's and GFG's. I agree that the HRE's bend EASILY! Overall, though I like them. GFG's customer service SUCKS! I would NEVER recommend them to anyone friend or foe!:nonono:

LZH 12-28-2007 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by MB_Forever (Post 2571002)
The dymag 18" are 13.2 lbs :eek: but like others have mentioned, they may be a little weaker than other wheels :nix: Somebody had them on a Porsche, and I think they paid close to $3,300 per wheel, so you're looking at close to $14,000 :eek: :eek: equivalent to RennTech Stage 5 :D

There is a thread that discusses the Dymags...

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ighlight=dymag

I saw them when the rep came to our shop - cost is, I believe ~ $8000 per set; that's dealer COST.
They are not weak or delicate at all. The carbon barrel is actually much stronger than a similar wheel that is forged. The rep told me you if you hit a pothole at 30 mph that would bend a forged wheel, you'd have to hit it at 60mph before it would damage the carbon barrel. Only problem then, is that carbon doesn't bend...it shatters. Also, in the heat treating process of the carbon barrel, the carbon yellows and gets this odd yellow hue to it. That was the deal breaker for me as it would look totally different than all the other non heat treated carbon bits and pieces on my Black Series.
But, if you want performance only, the Dymags are the way to go. It'd be like bolting 50hp to your car. Steering is greatly improved, unsprung weight savings is massive which translates to quicker acceleration, braking and more responsive handling. Overall, the weight savings at the most crucial point (rotating mass at the hub) is where you really get the performance increase.
Cannot comment about slow leaks...only thing I can think of is that these are all handmade wheels and there was a defect in one of the beads.

tthoang1 12-28-2007 04:34 PM

I looked into getting the Dymag's for my 996TT, but when I saw them in person and talked to the owner, I changed my mind. There was definitely a cool factor; but at that price, I went with the Kinesis F110's (5-6lbs heavier), EVO stage II, diverter valves, and still had change left over to go on vacation. :D

LZH 12-28-2007 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by tthoang1 (Post 2571089)
I went with the Kinesis F110's (5-6lbs heavier),

Those are awesome wheels - nice choice.

blackbenzz 12-28-2007 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by LZH (Post 2571182)
Those are awesome wheels - nice choice.

+1

MB_Forever 12-28-2007 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by LZH (Post 2571077)
There is a thread that discusses the Dymags...

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ighlight=dymag

I saw them when the rep came to our shop - cost is, I believe ~ $8000 per set; that's dealer COST.
They are not weak or delicate at all. The carbon barrel is actually much stronger than a similar wheel that is forged. The rep told me you if you hit a pothole at 30 mph that would bend a forged wheel, you'd have to hit it at 60mph before it would damage the carbon barrel. Only problem then, is that carbon doesn't bend...it shatters. Also, in the heat treating process of the carbon barrel, the carbon yellows and gets this odd yellow hue to it. That was the deal breaker for me as it would look totally different than all the other non heat treated carbon bits and pieces on my Black Series.
But, if you want performance only, the Dymags are the way to go. It'd be like bolting 50hp to your car. Steering is greatly improved, unsprung weight savings is massive which translates to quicker acceleration, braking and more responsive handling. Overall, the weight savings at the most crucial point (rotating mass at the hub) is where you really get the performance increase.
Cannot comment about slow leaks...only thing I can think of is that these are all handmade wheels and there was a defect in one of the beads.

So what's the solution to the yellowing problem? I've heard of a special clear coat that can be applied to prevent that.

Also, I just checked Neez's website and now they claim they have the lightest and strongest wheels: highest quality AZ80A-T6 Super-Forged Magnesium, aka super light:D

Jay9722 12-28-2007 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by KrisKeeney (Post 2570026)
Ok, guys: basic "wheels" question:

What are the best quality wheel brands? I've heard of HRE, Borbet, DPE. What other brands are out there, and which ones have the best reputation? Are one or more brands better for our Beast?

Thanks

Kris Keeney

Hey,
Check out LanceMB in the new posts. He is selling a set of Brabus Monoblock V's in 19. They would fit your car perfect and you can't get much better than Brabus! If they had fit my CL I would have them already!

SLK55R 12-28-2007 07:46 PM

brabus

rims suck. They bend like crazy and are heavy.

Jay9722 12-29-2007 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by SLK55R (Post 2571389)
rims suck. They bend like crazy and are heavy.

I was not aware of that. Good to know.:nix:

TheMadDutchman 12-29-2007 12:14 AM

I got my Forgeline wheels from HP Autowerks in SoCal. Email them for best price: info@hpautowerks.com Very well made wheel. Custom three piece wheel. Usually takes 4-6 weeks to get.

allenjdmb 12-30-2007 05:55 PM

Re: BBS and Japan....

Actually there are quite a few BBS wheels that are manufactured in Japan. As a matter of fact, that operation was unaffected when BBS declared bankruptcy in Germany a few months ago. No matter on either front, the quality of the wheels is first class.

DCarrera 12-30-2007 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by blackbenzz (Post 2570377)
That sucks! You pay all that money, you would expect better.

CF wheels on superbikes have exploded in the past during use. CF explodes (OK, shattered) when it fails. Personally I wouldn't use the stuff for a wheel EVER. Your life may vary.

Anyone looked into Fikse? Custom made do order. They are a small company but this last year their wheels were on some Le Mans cars... and not the ones that finish in the middle/back of the pack.

They are held in very high regard in the P-Car world. What's the consensus around here?