E55K Engine in a W208 CLK?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 08:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
I've been trying to figure out why the swap wouldnt work but cant figure it out. Arent both the engine and trans externally the same as a CLK55? SO it should bolt up. If I take the ECU/TCU out of a E55 then why wouldnt it work? I am really confused Can someone please clarify this for me? Thanks

I wont turbo the 430 motor. If anything I would sell the kleemann stuff off the 55 and turbo that. Might as well go all out.
If you can get the wiring harness and all from the E55 than it would be so much easier to make happen.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:25 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
I think the CLK55 engine is slightly larger displacement
I believe they are both 5.4L V8. Just the 55k motor has lower compression and a supercharger.

Jrocket- I can and will. I have access to a wrecked E55. So what would be the issue?
Old 12-31-2007, 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
I believe they are both 5.4L V8. Just the 55k motor has lower compression and a supercharger.

Jrocket- I can and will. I have access to a wrecked E55. So what would be the issue?
The more you can get your hands on the better.You might find it easier to swap an entire harness etc. In my earlier days I have swapped quite a few motors and trans in cars,having more parts is always better.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
I've been trying to figure out why the swap wouldnt work but cant figure it out. Arent both the engine and trans externally the same as a CLK55? SO it should bolt up. .
Nope the castings are not the exact same according to Mbenzman and Jeffrey!
The engine mounts I can tell you are entirely different.It would still be an interesting project if you can get someone to make it wrk. Just make sure your pockets r deep!

Last edited by ProjectC55; 01-01-2008 at 01:17 PM.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
If this project goes through, this would be one bad *** car
Old 01-01-2008, 04:19 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
If this project goes through, this would be one bad *** car
People keep telling me it wont work but wont give a reason why. It makes me very hesitant to try it.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
People keep telling me it wont work but wont give a reason why. It makes me very hesitant to try it.
..........I don't think anyone has said it won't work. The mechanical part of getting the engine and hoses and screws to fit is easy. Tuning it will be difficult. The guy that put the engine in will blame the guy that modified the ECU and the guy that modified the ECU will blame the guy that washed your car. Meanwhile you the owner is stuck with a car that can't be driven. I've ben there. Best if one person that claims they can do it does the mechanical work and the tunning as well as the car wash. And you pay them after the project is completed and the car is driveable. Just buying an engine and having it dropped into your CLK is no big feat IMHO. It is what comes afterwards that is difficult. So my view is that there are always so many arm chair experts on this topic. Everyone knows a cousin who has a lambo engine in their kia or 10 turbos in their Mercedes, yet no one has produced a single Mercedes with a stand alone engine management system that has actually been physically installed and working. I don't mean one they THINK will work. I mean one that has been installed and working already. Let one of them step up and agree to do it. Agree on a fixed price and the person only gets paid after project completion and appropriate test drive. It can be done, just bewars of bogus claims from folks that will leave you stranded.

Ted
Old 01-01-2008, 07:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
..........I don't think anyone has said it won't work. The mechanical part of getting the engine and hoses and screws to fit is easy. Tuning it will be difficult. The guy that put the engine in will blame the guy that modified the ECU and the guy that modified the ECU will blame the guy that washed your car. Meanwhile you the owner is stuck with a car that can't be driven. I've ben there. Best if one person that claims they can do it does the mechanical work and the tunning as well as the car wash. And you pay them after the project is completed and the car is driveable. Just buying an engine and having it dropped into your CLK is no big feat IMHO. It is what comes afterwards that is difficult. So my view is that there are always so many arm chair experts on this topic. Everyone knows a cousin who has a lambo engine in their kia or 10 turbos in their Mercedes, yet no one has produced a single Mercedes with a stand alone engine management system that has actually been physically installed and working. I don't mean one they THINK will work. I mean one that has been installed and working already. Let one of them step up and agree to do it. Agree on a fixed price and the person only gets paid after project completion and appropriate test drive. It can be done, just bewars of bogus claims from folks that will leave you stranded.

Ted
Thanks for the advice Ted. I was planning on doing all the work myself with the help of friends (E55 transplant) and use the E55 engine/trans/ECU/TCU/wire harness/instrument cluster without tuning (except performance tuning for pulley, headers, tb, etc etc). Why would it not work? If it works in the E55, I'm basically taking the whole thing out and bolting it in the CLK. Only thing i can personally think of is it not bolting up (can make custom brackets) and stupid sensors not working (aka abs, speed sensor, etc etc). Even if driveshaft length is different I can get one custom made. Those things are not an issue, i'm just worried about sensors and electronics. I dont know **** about that stuff. If you disconnect ABS/traction control sensors on a E55 it will still run wont it? Just have the ABS light on right? I dont see that as a problem

In terms of the turbo on the 55. I COMPLETELY understand the issue with tuning. I've been searching forever and almost pulled the trigger several times. Just as you stated, they claim alot but have yet to actually do it. Dont know if I want to be the guinea pig. I would not even attempt that myself but I know I can get all the hardware fabricated. The rewards sometimes make me think its worth the risk. 5.4L V8 with top mount GT35R's 650+whp on pump gas EASY with not much lag at all!

I know you have personally been through alot in terms of pushing the boundaries. I applaud you for that. If we had mor epeople like that it would be like the BMW/Audi community and we would all be better off. I'm trying to do my part.

Last edited by blackbenzz; 01-01-2008 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:40 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S600TT, R350

Ted
Sunil is already doing it. The key is to be able to get DME and other controllers to think of CLK as an E-class. If you can do that, than it is fairly affordable and achievable project.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c55-amg-w203/223802-vrp-project-x55.html

Now if you want to use aftermarket ECU, like AEM or others - you are in the world of hurt. You will need to competely rewire the car and reverse engineer communication protocols that keep everything happy. Possible, but the very labor intensive and thus expensive.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BMW and Mercedes
Not the same car, or even the same manufacturer, but this thread might give you an idea about what could be involved. I say do it for sure, provided that you can find an ENTIRE donor car. No skimping there!
Old 01-01-2008, 11:19 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
GL550, C55, 335i Coupe, vintage Mustang
Like Vadim said, if you go aftermarket engine management, you will run into network issues with traction systems and the instrument cluster, even the climate control could have issues, since the factory system measures torque load of the a/c compressor on the engine. If you go with an 03 e55 ecu and trans ecu, the ignition switch still has a vin number in it that won't match with the engine and trans modules. The car won't even start. The donor car and your car use different traction systems aren't even the same, they use different data transfer rates. The AMG supercharger is clutch driven, which is controlled by the rear SAM, in the trunk. Your car doesn't have one, let alone anything that would control it. As for the trans, the AMG kompressor one is longer, so you would have to fabricate a new rear transmission mount and crossmember, and also shorten the driveshaft. The AMG exhaust manifolds will not bolt up to your factory catalysts, so you would need a custom, high flow exhaust also. Not to mention cooling system planning, and intercooler placement, you will have a lot of work to do. I would use the 03 e55 motor, minus the supercharger, and use a Kleeman charger that is capable of the same boost, run by the MY 2000 engine control unit. Good Luck, let us know what happens.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:26 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by nick 55
Like Vadim said, if you go aftermarket engine management, you will run into network issues with traction systems and the instrument cluster, even the climate control could have issues, since the factory system measures torque load of the a/c compressor on the engine. If you go with an 03 e55 ecu and trans ecu, the ignition switch still has a vin number in it that won't match with the engine and trans modules. The car won't even start. The donor car and your car use different traction systems aren't even the same, they use different data transfer rates. The AMG supercharger is clutch driven, which is controlled by the rear SAM, in the trunk. Your car doesn't have one, let alone anything that would control it. As for the trans, the AMG kompressor one is longer, so you would have to fabricate a new rear transmission mount and crossmember, and also shorten the driveshaft. The AMG exhaust manifolds will not bolt up to your factory catalysts, so you would need a custom, high flow exhaust also. Not to mention cooling system planning, and intercooler placement, you will have a lot of work to do. I would use the 03 e55 motor, minus the supercharger, and use a Kleeman charger that is capable of the same boost, run by the MY 2000 engine control unit. Good Luck, let us know what happens.
Holy ****! Never mind!!! Thank you for pointing all this out before I dropped a bunch of time and $$$ in the project. Getting the instrument cluster and ignition switch isnt a problem. The s/c clutch is controlled from the trunk??? What kind of backwards design is that? Even still, I have access to a wrecked E55 so I can probably get that as well. If I didnt care about traction control would the car still run? I have a Kleemann supercharger on my CLK55 but its only at 7PSI and doubling the boost would just be insane, definitely not enough fueling.

Last edited by blackbenzz; 01-01-2008 at 11:38 PM.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:01 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
GL550, C55, 335i Coupe, vintage Mustang
Kleeman could probably make you a pulley that would give you more boost, and you could use the Kompressor long block, which is stronger, and uses lower compression pistons. Put the revised Kleeman supercharger on top, and shred tires! Ok, run a larger fuel line, and maybe the Kompressor injectors, and you will be on your way. At least, that's the basics of it.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:08 AM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
I give up, those C6 Z06's are looking pretty damn good right about now
Old 01-02-2008, 09:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Formula Mazda, Beast Junior...400HP 135i
I personally don't think the mechanical work on the conversion is bad at all. As to the electronics, it would be a real PITA but if it were me, I would pull the entire wiring harness/buss system with all modules out of the E55 and put them in the CLK. You would have to carefully document the removal of everything to a proper reinstallation but it could be done. This could require extra fabrication work for things like the ignition barrel, instrument cluster, etc but in can probably be done. The only big issue that I see is the lack of air suspension and SBC braking in the CLK but everything else may well run without this stuff connected or you could build "hacks" to fool these systems.

It can all be done and done cost effectively if you can provide the labor for free. Just keep in mind that there will be lots of it. In the end, it may be a fun project if you have the time and would be a monster.

Oh, and don't forget the CLK DTM bodywork!
Old 01-02-2008, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
I give up, those C6 Z06's are looking pretty damn good right about now
LOL! Thats so funny because everytime I think about going for a huge project like this or getting an insanely modded turbo-swapped CL65 or something...it always comes back to that.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
Originally Posted by Vadim @ VRP
Sunil is already doing it. The key is to be able to get DME and other controllers to think of CLK as an E-class. If you can do that, than it is fairly affordable and achievable project.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=223802

Now if you want to use aftermarket ECU, like AEM or others - you are in the world of hurt. You will need to competely rewire the car and reverse engineer communication protocols that keep everything happy. Possible, but the very labor intensive and thus expensive.
............I agree that if anyone can pull it off, Sunil will be the one. But there are not that many Sunil's around. There may not be one in Blackbenz's neighborhood. My point was for him to be very clear and concrete on what expertise he has available to him, otherwise I am absolutely certain that he will regret it. Get name address and phone number of each person that can do EXACTLY what and for exactly how much before you start, because as soon as you start those xo called experts tend do dissappear and leave you hanging.

Ted
Old 01-02-2008, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
new balance
996tt
Old 01-02-2008, 12:35 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by E55JAY
996tt
Lol Jason! I just found a wrecked E55 and could get engine/trans/ecu/tcu/instrument cluster for $10k and I thought it would be worth a shot. Turns out its much more work than I expected. 996TT would cost quite a bit more. And honestly I think I'd rather have a C6 Z06, the prices are dropping like crazy right now. But I am not looking for a new car right now. Will call Vadim and see what they have to offer for me
Old 10-29-2010, 03:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 55 ///AMG Cabrio, ML63 ///AMG
So, did you pick up the Z06?
Old 10-29-2010, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
E320CDI, CLK55, and a Smart
Holy Hot tub time machine
Old 10-29-2010, 07:20 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by newguy2008
So, did you pick up the Z06?
Nope, still same ole pos
Old 10-29-2010, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts
2012 C63 BS & 2014 E63 Estate & 2008 CLK63 BS
Haha, gotta love when threads come back from the dead
Old 10-29-2010, 07:32 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
w203 m112
haha, so this is where it all started eh?
Old 10-29-2010, 07:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
Nope, still same ole pos
LOL.....POS......LOL...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E55K Engine in a W208 CLK?