Sponsored by:

e63 owners, C, S, M. What Trans setting do you use

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 03:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
08 E 6point3-sold- 11 caddy cts-v-sold, 2012 E63 Palladium Silver
e63 owners, C, S, M. What Trans setting do you use

Guys I just got my car and I learning all the functions. The sport mode is much more fun but I noticed it is using my gas. Is this true or is it my imagination
Old 01-08-2008, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 SLS AMG
It should not unless you are digging from stop lights and getting more aggressive with the throttle in that mode. Personally I use comfort a lot in town and for short leisure drives. Have averaged 19.9 mpg in mixed driving. Up to 24-25 on the highway w/ cruise control. My problem w/ Sport is that everytime I engage it I decide to play with the cars acceleration and THAT burns my gas. Fun, fun, fun. That is why we bought it after all......
Old 01-08-2008, 10:57 AM

E63 amg 2007
im in c mode around town my girl hates s mode
Old 01-08-2008, 12:25 PM

'12 ML350
I use "C" for driving around town and in New York City, got tired of the 2-1 shift kick in the a$$ when coming to a stop or in traffic.

But the "S" mode is the preferred mode if not in town or traffic.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by rkao
I use "C" for driving around town and in New York City, got tired of the 2-1 shift kick in the a$$ when coming to a stop or in traffic.

But the "S" mode is the preferred mode if not in town or traffic.
They can fix that at the dealership. All they have to do is re-adapt the transmission shift from 2nd to 1st gear.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:05 PM

E63, SL 550 Sport,C63 Coupe On the Way!!
95% I am M mode, 5% Sport when I am on the phone. Considering I tried every which way to drive and get good fuel economy it just never happens so I just M mode all day long around town and on freeway.

I am getting 10mpg regardless sometimes 12.5 on the freeway if im cruising.

Car eats fuel thats a given, the M5 is even worse every time i test drove that V10 the dash registered at 6mpg yikes
Old 01-08-2008, 04:31 PM

2007 E63 AMG
Manual mode 100% for two reasons: To hear my exhaust and avoid the associated droning.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
08 E 6point3-sold- 11 caddy cts-v-sold, 2012 E63 Palladium Silver
thanks

Sport is much more fun but man does it suck the gas down. I can actually see the gas gage move down after 1 hard accerlation. those that are getting in 20 mpg is amazing to me. I have yet seen anything over 14.5 mpg in my car! I am in break in mode still

So after the 1000 mile break in, CAn i start actually driving the car like im suppose to? or should i wait longer thanks

VegasThrashed- I would love see and hear your car in person. Are you usually at the meets at Santana Row Saturday Morning?
Old 01-08-2008, 06:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 AMG C63 S
Amazing that so many use C, I use S exclusively. Seems like a real car in S. C is for cats (pussies). Just my $.02.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2016 E63S W212 Matte Gray
Originally Posted by sack5000
Amazing that so many use C, I use S exclusively. Seems like a real car in S. C is for cats (pussies). Just my $.02.
yea, I must say I am confused by the "C" usage by the fellas here. Because our car is constantly "learning" about our driving, and therefore about me, I don't want the car to think it is on the "retirement" plan; i.e. don't want it to settle into the "casual" lifestyle. But maybe I am overthinking it. When in "C" it is analogous to telling a trueblood horse to trot and always keeping at least one foot on the ground; like those sissy-looking "walk racing" that used to be in the Olympics (maybe still is); remember those? When I was a kid, I remember thinking "what is this? what is the point here....? But that was when I was young and unsophisticated (as opposed to old and sophisticated, like now)

just my $.03 worth (inflation)
Old 01-08-2008, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by KrisKeeney
yea, I must say I am confused by the "C" usage by the fellas here. Because our car is constantly "learning" about our driving, and therefore about me, I don't want the car to think it is on the "retirement" plan; i.e. don't want it to settle into the "casual" lifestyle. But maybe I am overthinking it. When in "C" it is analogous to telling a trueblood horse to trot and always keeping at least one foot on the ground; like those sissy-looking "walk racing" that used to be in the Olympics (maybe still is); remember those? When I was a kid, I remember thinking "what is this? what is the point here....? But that was when I was young and unsophisticated (as opposed to old and sophisticated, like now)

just my $.03 worth (inflation)
Actually, you are absolutely right. Driving around in "C" all the time (especially in slow traffic) causes the transmission to adapt to slow and more "relaxed" shifts. If after driving in "C" for a long time, then you switch to S and try to run at the track, you're first 2 times or so will be slower than your subsequent runs. But it is nothing irreversible. A few spirited WOTs gets the transmission back to "Sports" mode again.

What some members are saying here is that due to heavy traffic or ride comfort (via girlfriend, wife, elders, etc....), they prefer to drive in "C". But if you can drive in "S" mode all the time, then by all means, you continue. That's what these cars were made for
Old 01-08-2008, 09:23 PM

2012 SLS AMG
For all those that are confused, "C" mode is actually not bad for driving on the expressway or in town. AMG's are not sports cars. Mine is a daily driver and that is why I got it. Pulling the paddles in C and/or S mode actually works well. All you really need to do is make sure you drive a little spirited on a regular basis. If all else fails the 'sneaky reset' works well if you plan on spirited driving. Get a sports car if you need load, rough, jumpy. That's what I plan on doing....
Old 01-08-2008, 09:51 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2016 E63S W212 Matte Gray
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
Actually, you are absolutely right. Driving around in "C" all the time (especially in slow traffic) causes the transmission to adapt to slow and more "relaxed" shifts. If after driving in "C" for a long time, then you switch to S and try to run at the track, you're first 2 times or so will be slower than your subsequent runs. But it is nothing irreversible. A few spirited WOTs gets the transmission back to "Sports" mode again.

What some members are saying here is that due to heavy traffic or ride comfort (via girlfriend, wife, elders, etc....), they prefer to drive in "C". But if you can drive in "S" mode all the time, then by all means, you continue. That's what these cars were made for
Excellent explanation !! Thanks for providing that.

Old 01-09-2008, 12:47 AM

2007 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by drop997stop
So after the 1000 mile break in, CAn i start actually driving the car like im suppose to? or should i wait longer thanks

VegasTrashed- I would love see and hear your car in person. Are you usually at the meets at Santana Row Saturday Morning?
I threw caution to the wind about following the proper break in to our cars. No big deal.

I usually go to the standing Santana Row Meet whenever my buddy organizes a M5 meet. I'll let you know when I'm going again. I think there might be one within the next three weeks.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'12 E350 Coupe (3rd Benz)
hehe...

I've got this one covered guys...

C - www.RichardHayden.net/E63

S - www.RichardHayden.net/crash

M - (not really, but nice pic)

LOL (girl liked S, so I drove her into the trees and dirt, she now likes walking.)
Old 01-09-2008, 02:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by intellilogic
I've got this one covered guys...

C - www.RichardHayden.net/E63

S - www.RichardHayden.net/crash

M - (not really, but nice pic)

LOL (girl liked S, so I drove her into the trees and dirt, she now likes walking.)
I'm glad you're taking lightly

What's the update on the crash by the way?
Old 01-09-2008, 11:20 AM

E63 AMG, E60 M5
Originally Posted by BenzoManNY
95% I am M mode, 5% Sport when I am on the phone. Considering I tried every which way to drive and get good fuel economy it just never happens so I just M mode all day long around town and on freeway.

I am getting 10mpg regardless sometimes 12.5 on the freeway if im cruising.

Car eats fuel thats a given, the M5 is even worse every time i test drove that V10 the dash registered at 6mpg yikes
Same here. Always with teh M button on and the worst gas mileage.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:23 AM

E63 AMG, E60 M5
Originally Posted by vegastrashed
Manual mode 100% for two reasons: To hear my exhaust and avoid the associated droning.
Don't understand why people shift automatic transmissions. They were designed not to shift. I keep mine in S mode