Help me choose: E63 AMG or M5?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 559 Likes on 369 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Originally Posted by AlbertM
Today I went to see 3 dealers, BMW, Audi and Mercedes.

Checked out again M5, Audi RS4 and E63.

When I sat in the M5 it feels very bulky and heavy, the E63 felt much lighter and more inviting. It think it is the interior and the seats. Rs4 is just awsome, inside and out and the shifter is smooth and crisp much better then M5.

RS4 looks awesome but the lease deals on Rs4 are so bad. RS4 cheaper then the Es and M5 but leases for much higher. What is Audi thinking?

The Rs4 would lease for over 1400 36 month lease, whereas I can get M5 or E63 for much cheaper.

Why would anyone get an RS4????? It is a great car, but the price just does not make sense.

Anyway, E63 looks like a way to go
So.....you SAT in them, and then made your decision? Ahhh. I should try that too, test driving stationary cars and then making decisions based on how they make me feel.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:21 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter
Within a week all become clear- iDrive, SMG. However, the car is very focused so not for everyone. Looks are of course subjective.

Congrats on your E63, it's a great vehicle.

Carl- its so true about the S85 engine in the M5 and M6. Its a pre meditated engine where you have to sort of point and shoot but it sure does perform if you know how to drive it. Actually thats half the fun if not more, its arguably the best engine I have driven and I dont get bored of it. Learning the quirks and the sweet spot was a lot of excitement but then I really like to push the car. If one doesnt push their cars but expects random acts of torque and hp, the M5/M6 just might not be the right car. The SMG is perfect and the shifts are so fast. But the exhaust note, with the Meisterschaft GT, is incredible.

I just got a 997TT which is an amazing car but I think driving the M6 is a very close 2nd in excitement with that exhaust and higher reving motor. I love that car in tunnels- the sound is amazing.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Vic55
Carl- its so true about the S85 engine in the M5 and M6. Its a pre meditated engine where you have to sort of point and shoot but it sure does perform if you know how to drive it. Actually thats half the fun if not more, its arguably the best engine I have driven and I dont get bored of it. Learning the quirks and the sweet spot was a lot of excitement but then I really like to push the car. If one doesnt push their cars but expects random acts of torque and hp, the M5/M6 just might not be the right car. The SMG is perfect and the shifts are so fast. But the exhaust note, with the Meisterschaft GT, is incredible.

I just got a 997TT which is an amazing car but I think driving the M6 is a very close 2nd in excitement with that exhaust and higher reving motor. I love that car in tunnels- the sound is amazing.
Thank you, thank you.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'15 E63S P30
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
So.....you SAT in them, and then made your decision? Ahhh. I should try that too, test driving stationary cars and then making decisions based on how they make me feel.
Come try out my couch. It's very comfortable and will make you feel great!
Old 01-22-2008, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Off Topic

Thank you, thank you.

CH the other day I was at the hot rod shop for golf carts. The owner is a collector of oddities, and was gloating over his newest addition.
A 1966 Barbie bike W/script that read "chain drive," well thinking of your Barbie scooter I busted out in uncontrollable laughter when I saw it.
Well after an uncomfortable moment, I did not even try to explain my outburst. My bad
Old 01-22-2008, 01:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
10 Cayenne GTS, 07 Porsche 911 Turbo
The E63

Test drove a BMW M6 yesterday. I don't like the SMG which is the same in the M5. Got back into my E55 and decided that it was the better car. Buy the E63!
Old 01-22-2008, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Yacht Master

CH the other day I was at the hot rod shop for golf carts. The owner is a collector of oddities, and was gloating over his newest addition.
A 1966 Barbie bike W/script that read "chain drive," well thinking of your Barbie scooter I busted out in uncontrollable laughter when I saw it.
Well after an uncomfortable moment, I did not even try to explain my outburst. My bad
Dude that is hilarious. I should call him and offer him a trade! Note to self, bring the barbie scooter sig pic back.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:05 PM

E63 AMG 2010, Black, Pano, P2
No I did not just sit. As I said in my previous post, I drove 2008 M5 (stick), although not the RS4.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:59 PM

It's called shifting. The SMG thingy does that. What DO you drive anyway?
E63....and yes I drove the M5......and yes....lack of torqe.
Is a nice car...just not for me. I need the torqe.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:10 PM

No I did not just sit. As I said in my previous post, I drove 2008 M5 (stick), although not the RS4.
The RS4 Character is exactly same as M5.
I drove the RS4 for 2 years, great car, good power..............IF I keep high rpm.
If you don't mind watch your RPM, M5 is a good choice, but if you mind watching the RPM, don't bother. Is seriously under power if the rpm is not in range.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:16 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by hkpooh
The RS4 Character is exactly same as M5.
I drove the RS4 for 2 years, great car, good power..............IF I keep high rpm.
If you don't mind watch your RPM, M5 is a good choice, but if you mind watching the RPM, don't bother. Is seriously under power if the rpm is not in range.
I wouldnt say seriously ... this is the common issue that I see with some of the posts. I have experience with MB TQ- I had a 600hp 600 tq E55 which is still kickin butt in the OC right now (Trapped 119.93 against the wind with a header leak last Friday) and a 557 RWHP / 780 TQ CL65- yes these cars have torque and they are fast. There is no disputing that but I find in common that many equate seat of the pants to speed and its just not correct. There is less parasitic loss in the S85 engine and the tranny (SMG) than your normal slush box and the 7 speed gearing keeps the speeds in the right range. If one is a not a great driver, sorry if one is a really poor driver, than the M5 and M6 is weaker but not weak.

While I have much respect for the RS4- I wont comment on its character since I dont own one - maybe Rock can chime in. I only speak from experience owning both fast benzes, a fast bimmer, a fast P car, and numerous other fast modern rides
Old 01-26-2008, 09:18 AM
Administrator

Received 514 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
This is my take:

The RS4 should not be in the same discussion as the E63 vs the M5. Both of those cars offer a completely different driving experience.

If I had to pick only one car to drive for all occasions I would pick the M5 or the E63 over the RS4. Both cars are faster and more practical.

The RS4 offers a great package with wonderful steering, terrific suspension, beautiful aesthetics both inside and out and an awesome and exotic exhaust note. My biggest problem with the RS4 after months of ownership is the the car is just too freaking FAT!!!.

3900lbs + AWD + 420hp= less than stellar power. Maybe I'm spoiled with the torque and hp from my E55 but I don't think so. I think Audi could have made the RS4 one of the greatest 4-door rides of all time if they would have brought the car to market at 3,300lbs....... but they didn't and unfortunately, I just cannot forget that I'm driving a pig when I row through the gears.
Old 01-26-2008, 03:41 PM

SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
Originally Posted by Rock
This is my take:

The RS4 should not be in the same discussion as the E63 vs the M5. Both of those cars offer a completely different driving experience.

If I had to pick only one car to drive for all occasions I would pick the M5 or the E63 over the RS4. Both cars are faster and more practical.

The RS4 offers a great package with wonderful steering, terrific suspension, beautiful aesthetics both inside and out and an awesome and exotic exhaust note. My biggest problem with the RS4 after months of ownership is the the car is just too freaking FAT!!!.

3900lbs + AWD + 420hp= less than stellar power. Maybe I'm spoiled with the torque and hp from my E55 but I don't think so. I think Audi could have made the RS4 one of the greatest 4-door rides of all time if they would have brought the car to market at 3,300lbs....... but they didn't and unfortunately, I just cannot forget that I'm driving a pig when I row through the gears.
Driving to New Orleans last weekend I had a RS4 convertible come up behind me while I was cruising at 85mph and he insisted on going by me. I obliged but when in traffic and "shooting the gaps" to get by A**HOLES going 70 in the left lane I realized that he couldn't keep up. I really thought maybe the RS4 had a 6 cylinder. Now to hear it has an 8 that makes 400+hp, I'm really dissappointed. I thought the the RS4 was a world beater but alas I was wrong.
Old 01-26-2008, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 AMG
Ok, thank for all your feedback guys. Here what I am planning to do, I am about to pull a trigger on :

E63 2008, Arctic White, black nappa inside, Pano roof, P2, iPod, Alacantra, Parktronic, Rear-side blinds, Voice Control.

What do you think about Arctic White, black interrior combo?
Don't forget keyless go and a trunk closer!!
Old 01-26-2008, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 E63
Originally Posted by I Like Soup
Don't forget keyless go and a trunk closer!!
keyless go is part of P2 package.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
This is my take:

Regretting your decision Rock?
Old 01-26-2008, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Received 514 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
Originally Posted by MB Fanatic
Regretting your decision Rock?
Yes and no............the car really is a visual and audible jewel but no car is perfect............. at least in my price range.

Listen, I'm being very critical and to be honest my 600+hp E55 is more one dimensional than the RS4 will ever be.

When I purchased the RS4, I guess I thought I was going to get the total driving package...........kinda like an M3 on steroids. Unfortunately, I didn't........and now I search endlessly for my next perfect car...........haha.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Yes and no............the car really is a visual and audible jewel but no car is perfect............. at least in my price range.

Listen, I'm being very critical and to be honest my 600+hp E55 is more one dimensional than the RS4 will ever be.

When I purchased the RS4, I guess I thought I was going to get the total driving package...........kinda like an M3 on steroids. Unfortunately, I didn't........and now I search endlessly for my next perfect car...........haha.
Haha I hear you. After seeing pictures of Vic's 997TT I keep kicking myself in the *** for not having pulled the trigger when it first came out, instead I bought the CLS55 and then shipped it off to Kleemann for their K4 update.

God I can't wait till the DBS comes out since while the CL63 is fun, its just too damn big of a coupe. Perhaps the M6 might cure the itch for something fast, comfy, and coupe. Too bad no car is perfect.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:40 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Haha I hear you. After seeing pictures of Vic's 997TT I keep kicking myself in the *** for not having pulled the trigger when it first came out, instead I bought the CLS55 and then shipped it off to Kleemann for their K4 update.

God I can't wait till the DBS comes out since while the CL63 is fun, its just too damn big of a coupe. Perhaps the M6 might cure the itch for something fast, comfy, and coupe. Too bad no car is perfect.
How is the kleemann K$ for performance ?
Old 01-27-2008, 02:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Originally Posted by Zod
How is the kleemann K$ for performance ?
Costly, but wow is it fun. It sucks there is so much power the rear wheels just spin even with LSD lol. Its a great car and I am going to keep it forever since no more 55K engines are being made. Now if the VRP guys come out with something more powerful, I will sure as hell have Vadim and Vrus mod it to the max.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:36 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Costly, but wow is it fun. It sucks there is so much power the rear wheels just spin even with LSD lol. Its a great car and I am going to keep it forever since no more 55K engines are being made. Now if the VRP guys come out with something more powerful, I will sure as hell have Vadim and Vrus mod it to the max.
have you dynoed the beast ? and what rears u running with it?
sorry for off topic
Old 01-27-2008, 08:00 AM

Mercedes C200cdi
Choose the E63! BMW sucks!
Old 01-27-2008, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Originally Posted by Zod
have you dynoed the beast ? and what rears u running with it?
sorry for off topic
I lost the dyno sheet the folks at Kleemann gave me, I thought it was in the glove compartment but its not. I think its making around 640 to 650 at the crank, dont recall what the RWHP was or the torque figures but will see if I can find the dyno sheet.

I have 285's in the rear on the CLS55 Performance package wheels. I need to get some lighter rims from HRE, perhaps the competition series.
Old 01-27-2008, 03:40 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 216 Likes on 157 Posts
I agree the CL coupe is huge. Perhaps when the M6 gets the new BMW 7 speed trans it will be the best of both worlds...maybe by then it will even get a power increase too
Old 01-27-2008, 05:17 PM

A Car
went through same decision:

in the end, i like the m5 more

but i'm also coming up from driving an m3, so i was very familiar with the SMG