Sponsored by:

19's on the front & 20's on the back??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 07:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A slow Tahoe!
19's on the front & 20's on the back??

I've noticed cars like the Corvette and Viper come with this wheel package. What advantage is there for this and has anyone here ever tried it on there car?? Post pics of you have.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:00 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
The advantage is typically looks. Realistically, it is also a way to balance the car out. The front end would be a little more nimble with the smaller wheels, so the car will tend to kick the rear out.
Again, it is strickly looks. Going 20s in the rear just leaves so little rubber sidewall to take the undulations. You end up getting wheel hop or just smoking the tires, PLUS you will likely go taller overall which will also make your car slower.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:21 PM

e500
Plus, the mentioned cars are built internally to know that the rear diameter will be larger than the fronts. This is the only way to get the setup to look right. The sidewalls are still the same so there is a balance, visually.

To put a similar setup on a car that is not expecting different diameters will probably throw off the electronics. I am not sure what systems like ABS would think as it sees the wheels effectively moving at different rates. The other way to do it is to reduce the sidewall in the rear so that the total diameters are the same, or close to it. Personally, I would not think this would look very good.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:41 PM

A slow Tahoe!
Thanks for the 411, I'm leaning toward 19's all the way around. HRE's would be my first choice, but it will most likely be CCW's. I didn't hiy the lottery this week.