Sponsored by:

Test Drive: '07 M5 SMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 07:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
'21 GLC63, '19 M5
Test Drive: '07 M5 SMG

Test drove an M5 a year + ago while I had my CLK55 and thought the car was impressive when the sales guy beat the living crap out of it in P500 and fastest tranny setting. When I got to drive it I thought it was less impressive (as I was not beating it to the ground), but impressive none the less.
I decided to test drive an '07 M5 today after having driven my E55 for the last 6 months and modding it a little. I wanted to see if an M5 is something that I could see myself in. The fit and finish on the car was as everyone would expect it. I specifically asked and watched the sales person set the car in the Sport mode and 500P. I then drove it...
As I was driving it I immediately noticed the sound, which I thought was great... but that was it. I mean, I was not impressed with the tranny as the way it was shifting got old within the first 5 minutes. As I floored the car in first from the dig and as it climbed into 2nd I felt myself asking 'Is that it?'. The drive was less than impressive this time needless to say. I even checked with my girl and she too thought that although I was gunning the M5, it felt considerably slower from the dig or a slow roll. She told me that she likes the E55 feel and power much better... although she admits to being scared *****less of it.
Perhaps the M5 is a better performer when it is rolling and ready to be punched within its sweet spot, but until then it does not even feel like a 500 HP vehicle. I'm sure it would perform great in the tweesties... but I live in the city, so not too many of those here.
After driving the 63, RS4, M5, and 996tt, I can easily say that the 996tt in 6 speed feels like an only upgrade to the modded E55.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 E63
ur driving experience in the M5 is what my fear would be when i was comtemplating getting the new E92 M3. my C55 has 376 lb/ft torque and i'm afraid when i get the M3 (295 lb/ft) i will not be too thrill w/ the acceleration excitement from a dig. that's why i'm leaning towards still getting the C63 (441 lb/ft) .