Weekend Project Part IV OEM Phone System with VCS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 12:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
CLS 55
Weekend Project Part IV OEM Phone System with VCS

OK, so here is the deal with the factory phone system. I'm not sure on all years, but I do know this applies to all 05 & 06's E class and CLS that did not have the factory phone kit option. First of all these cars are all prewired for the system, so installation is pretty simple. I used this for my installation instructions, its a great PDF on how to install everything. I've provided some additional pictures and tips. Also I purchased everything used from a guy that was selling his car. I do know that the completer kit is what is needed in order to get the system working. Those part numbers are on the last page of the PDF. You can also see all of the part numbers on the items I've installed. So here we go...

This is the complete kit..
1 MHI Control Module
2 Antenna Switch
3 Voice Control System (VCS)
4 MOST Adapter Cable
5 Linear Compensator
6 Contact Plate
7 Push-to-Talk (PTT) Lever

Step 1 Remove the trunk liner, also remove the right side shell.

Step 2 Now remove the black foam piece, it has 2 round clips that will unscrew.

Step 3 I believe it was a 10MM bolt, remove the two bolts that hold the black plastic lid in place. Now this thing was a little tricky, first off the middle of it is clipped underneath the back of the seat. So after you've unscrewed the two bolts, this whole tray will slide out, you have to kind of lift up and pull it out. Once that middle part is out, lift the cover off, its also snapped in on the left and right side, sticking a screwdriver in the top slots helped it pop out.

Step 4 Everything on the PDF was very detailed, a couple of things to add. Figure 11 step 4, when you take apart the existing yellow cable, there is a black cap that must come off first, careful remove this with a flathead screwdriver. Once the black cap is removed you simply give a tug on the right side of the yellow optic cable, its kind of snapped in there. Pic with cap off..

Down to step 22, there are several cables that are tied up in this area, only remove the ones seen in the pic. Also the power cable to the compensator was taped up further on the cable, just look close for it. Ok everything should be attached and secured down.

Step 5 On figure 26, regarding the CLS, not sure about the E, when it comes to removing this piece, there are no screws to take out, this piece is snapped in two places, use a flat head scredriver to snap out the piece, on the drivers side between the console and this piece, pop it out. Once that side is out, you can lift up on the top part of it, this will let you access the plugs underneath it as seen here..

Step 6 Not mentioned in this PDF is that you also need the bluetooth puck, this plugs into the adapter seen in figure 32. You can get these on ebay for $350, or also do a search, I've read the BMW one works as well, and its cheaper.

Step 7. I didn't have to the dealer program anything, once the puck was on I was then able to connect to my phone, everything works great accept my phone does not download my contacts, it does download my last dialed numbers and missed calls though. Also since I have Voice control, I can program it to add a address book with voice commands. The VCS is very nice, sometimes it gets the wrong number, but mostly it works great. Although it does not control the Navigation, DVD, SAT, or Ipod.

A couple of other things items, when you leave the car, and shut everything off, power still remains to the puck for a few minutes, you can disconnect from your phone, or if you hold down TEL for 5 seconds, this will shut it off, so you can walk out of the car and switch back to the phone. Also to turn it back on manually hit TEL again and it powers on.
Also call waiting does not work, you do hear the beep that a call is coming in, but you have to use the phone itself to switch over. Thats about all I can think of, I really like the system, the sound is great on both ends. I figured with the new law coming July 1st for California, this would be a good time to install it. Also for more pics click on my sig below, the last pages have all the pics from the install. Hope this helps!!

VCS stalk
Old 01-23-2008, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55
Dang... you're going to be busy when I come up to Fresno! GOOD JOB!