W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boy, times really are a changin. Stick shift Benz coming back!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Boy, times really are a changin. Stick shift Benz coming back!!

Not the dual clutch thing, but a real manual tranny.

Just in a C Class sedan right now but sure more is planned.

How long before an AMG stick is released.

MERCEDES-BENZ C300

I have never driven a Mercedes-Benz as aggressively as I have the new C300 Sport. And I've never enjoyed a Mercedes more.

For the first time in a long time, Mercedes has put a manual transmission in its entry-level C-class, or any sedan.

The C-class is new this year with Sport and Luxury models.

The midsize sedan is sold in three trim levels with two V-6 engines, a six-speed manual or seven-speed automatic transmission, and rear-wheel or all-wheel drive.

Article here.

What's your thoughts on driving a stick guys?
Old 01-24-2008, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Shifting interferes with my drinking.

My little spyder is fun to drive and shift in the mountains of Colorado. For the day in day out, caught up in commuter traffic of south Florida, an auto is the only way.

BTW Jakpro we need to see if your 55 can go 200 MPH, you have the most mods and are the closest to the salt flats. What do you think?

Last edited by Yacht Master; 01-24-2008 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
i think mb should quit chasing bmw...since when did they become followers instead of leaders. they've cornered the market on luxury power and now it seems they've given up on their niche. those of us that chose amg, chose it for specific reasons and could have easily bought the bimmer if we wanted to.

as much fun as manuals are, if i want a stick or a firm suspension i'll get the pcar or z06.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They have always had a C class in a stick. Its standard, nothing new
Old 01-24-2008, 02:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2016 E63S W212 Matte Gray
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
What's your thoughts on driving a stick guys?
Nah. I get "shift involvement" with the paddles and the stick. I don't see the need or desire to move my left foot any more. My left foot is often hovering near the brake while gassing with my right.

As I see it: manual shifting/clutching offers two things:

1. ability to control the gearing; i.e. ability to put it in the gear I want to be in at any given time/speed/rpm:
2. the physical movement/sensation of synchronizing my left foot with my right hand/arm.

I already have #1 and I don't want/need #2

So with the paddles and shifting stick, I get the gearing control, but then with the auto, I can chill when I want/need a more passive moment.

I love the current automatic: especially at high speeds in 5th gear: it just sounds like it is begging me to either shift up (to a non-existent next gear), or punch it......."DO SOMETHING" it is telling me.......so I usually punch it.

I'm good where it is now.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:28 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2016 E63S W212 Matte Gray
Originally Posted by chiromikey
i think mb should quit chasing bmw...since when did they become followers instead of leaders. they've cornered the market on luxury power and now it seems they've given up on their niche. those of us that chose amg, chose it for specific reasons and could have easily bought the bimmer if we wanted to.

as much fun as manuals are, if i want a stick or a firm suspension i'll get the pcar or z06.
Exactly: keep the niche that we have grown to love. No need to try to be the others. If we wanted the others, we'd be driving the others.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 558 Likes on 368 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
There was an episode of Top Gear where Clarkson listed a littany of innovations that the Mercedes S-Class has brought into the forefront of auto manufacturing. It was pretty amazing how many things we consider standard on cars today have come from MB innovation. Personally I think putting a stickshift into a Merc is a step backwards. Let's face it, the days of the manual tranny are dwindling. Computers do it better, faster, and don't melt clutches like us humans do.

Now I don't really like Autoboxes in sports cars. My Supra's a 6-speed. I love my Supra, I love driving it, I love the way people's windows roll down and the look of awe as clouds of CFC's plume from my 4" titanium exhaust. But god do I HATE my clutch. I want to bite it. My left leg shakes at the thought of another shift. Being in that car is like being on stage, all eyes are on me and I'd better not bog or miss a shift. And god forbid I get stopped on a steep hill, then the sweating starts.

My point is that the new innovations in SMG and DSG technology are truly pointing straight for the future. Virtually all the control of a manual box is available with the proper programming, and unless you're planning on competing in Formula D it's very hard to justify a manual with today's innovations.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
I would like to see a DSG in an AMG. I would also like to see them work on weight saving.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Formula Mazda, Beast Junior...400HP 135i
According to my contact who is high up at AMG in Germany...."there never will be a manual tranny fitted to any AMG". Even the CLK GTR was an automated sequential with paddles. I have only seen one AMG fitted with a manual, it was a CLK55 driven on the street by one of the factory team drivers that had a 6 speed manual.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E 55
Originally Posted by chiromikey

Not to bash but I had a new 997 6sp for two days and the car gets old quick. It is only fun to drive when you are pushing it to the limit imho.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i like to ride my bike
Entry Level Mercs have always been stick. That goes for the E and CLK
aswell.

I don't think there is so much great stuff about a stick. I have to deal
with it everyday and it just rides my nervs! Driving an Auto is so much
more comfortable and the newer ones are very economic aswell.