W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Bosch IC Pump

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 05:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 S55 AMG, 03 SL55 AMG, 02 S430(sold), 05 F150, 06 Ranger, My baby 07 HD Rdking
New Bosch IC Pump

Did anyone hear about the new bosch IC pumps, I was told it's as good as the Johson pump, It's basicaly the same pump the S55 has stock, but made better, to be less faulty, and provide more flow, any Info? I took my car to the dealer, and they said so, also had a bad SC clutch, so they put on a new Super Charger. Do you guys think that will help with heat soak?
Old 01-28-2008, 06:04 AM

06 E55 SOLD, 89 300 SE 375,000 miles
Originally Posted by BallzyS55
Did anyone hear about the new bosch IC pumps, I was told it's as good as the Johson pump, It's basicaly the same pump the S55 has stock, but made better, to be less faulty, and provide more flow, any Info? I took my car to the dealer, and they said so, also had a bad SC clutch, so they put on a new Super Charger. Do you guys think that will help with heat soak?
Yes. Had one replaced with the new bosch pump and he has reduced the heat soak in my car significantly.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:47 AM

06 e55 wagon
Originally Posted by BallzyS55
My local dealers just must suck. I've gone to two complaining of horribly rough S/C engagement (I'm confident that it's the clutch) as well as S/C cutout under heavy usage (likely the pump) and all they can tell me is everything is normal operation for the car ... argh.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Originally Posted by joshd
My local dealers just must suck. I've gone to two complaining of horribly rough S/C engagement (I'm confident that it's the clutch) as well as S/C cutout under heavy usage (likely the pump) and all they can tell me is everything is normal operation for the car ... argh.

Agree your dealers must suck. Now as far as your rough supercharger clutch engagement, I get the feeling you do not understand it's function. First of all the clutch is electro magnetic therefore it is either engaged or disengaged, no half in half out slipping or any thing that would equate a smooth transition it is on or off no in-between, so rule out the clutch as your problem. The recall on the early clutches was for a loud chirp that the clutch made nothing more.
Now as I posted earlier if you can't modulate the throttle through the S/C engagement in a smooth fashion then yes you have a problem. Understand that you will always feel the engagement, I can feel it but passengers in the car can't when in normal traffic. Should I decide to go to an instantaneous half throttle from a stop the car will start to accelerate stumbles then solid yellow triangle, smoke and side ways action in the rear. normal.
One Item I called to your attention to is the supercharger bypass valve, I even posted a picture of it. Consider this if the by pass valve is closed the S/C when engaged is in a full load condition drawing may be 25 hp. if the bypass is open the S/C is bypassed and draws maybe 4 hp. So as you accelerate the car the the bypass valve is open, then the electro magnetic clutch engages and the bypass starts to close, load the compressor and create boost. Now if your bypass is stuck closed then you will really feel the loss of power when the clutch engages cause the engine is making maybe 75 hp and then gets hit with a 25 hp supercharger load.

At the end of the day what you complain of is why Mercedes Benz / AMG discontinued the supercharged engines too many complaints. If the dealers service adviser rode with you in the car and you demonstrated the rough engagement and he says it is normal, take your car in 3rd time and if you are still not happy then lemon it, and buy a N/A 63.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:28 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
SL 500
Joshd - which dealer? I have had good luck with American Service Center in Arlington. They replaced my IC pump and clutch pack when I complained. Ask for service guy named Eddy Gross
Old 01-28-2008, 08:48 PM

06 e55 wagon
Originally Posted by Rocketman
Joshd - which dealer? I have had good luck with American Service Center in Arlington. They replaced my IC pump and clutch pack when I complained. Ask for service guy named Eddy Gross
Based on your recommendation in the other thread, I did go to ASC and asked for Eddy. He no longer is an SA, so I talked to him for a while but ended up bringing the car to Gary Burk (his name sign hangs next to Eddy's in the service department).

I left the car there for a day, but they claim they were unable to reproduce any problem. At least they washed it when they were done

I also told them that my S/C shuts down after hard usage, hoping that they would check the I/C pump. They actually wrote on my invoice 'the S/C will shut down when it's not needed.' WTF

YachtMaster - I do understand that engagement of the S/C may not ever be perfect due to the sudden drag placed on the motor, but it just doesn't seem right that the car lurches backward violently when it engages.

I hear what you're saying and I think you may be on to something with the bypass valve. The problem is I can't even get the dealer to admit there's any problem so they wont even look at that. They basically have both stonewalled me acting like I'm nuts and they know nothing of any S/C engagement issue or even I/C pump issue with these cars. Their default position seems to be that I'm an idiot and have no clue what I'm talking about (see above comment that they actually wrote on my invoice).

I've tried to modulate the throttle to minimize the issue, but what I've come up with is that I either have to drive all out (meaning the S/C is always engaged), or give almost no throttle at all so that it doesn't even engage. Anything else tends to cause a nasty jerk on engagement that passengers notice and mention to me. Maybe it's not the clutch like you say, but I can't even get past the first step of getting the dealer to admit any problem.

I just want to be able to drive the car somewhat smoothly without constantly worrying about jerking my passengers around in daily driving. It's not really a problem when driving all out so that's the good news ...

Sorry for hijacking the thread ... I'm just jealous that some people seem to be able to get good service and get the obvious known problems fixed while my local dealers just play dumb. Or maybe they're not playing ...

Last edited by joshd; 01-28-2008 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Based on your recommendation in the other thread, I did go to ASC and asked for Eddy. He no longer is an SA, so I talked to him for a while but ended up bringing the car to Gary Burk (his name sign hangs next to Eddy's in the service department).

I left the car there for a day, but they claim they were unable to reproduce any problem. At least they washed it when they were done

I also told them that my S/C shuts down after hard usage, hoping that they would check the I/C pump. They actually wrote on my invoice 'the S/C will shut down when it's not needed.' WTF

YachtMaster - I do understand that engagement of the S/C may not ever be perfect due to the sudden drag placed on the motor, but it just doesn't seem right that the car lurches backward violently when it engages.

I hear what you're saying and I think you may be on to something with the bypass valve. The problem is I can't even get the dealer to admit there's any problem so they wont even look at that. They basically have both stonewalled me acting like I'm nuts and they know nothing of any S/C engagement issue or even I/C pump issue with these cars. Their default position seems to be that I'm an idiot and have no clue what I'm talking about (see above comment that they actually wrote on my invoice).

I've tried to modulate the throttle to minimize the issue, but what I've come up with is that I either have to drive all out (meaning the S/C is always engaged), or give almost no throttle at all so that it doesn't even engage. Anything else tends to cause a nasty jerk on engagement that passengers notice and mention to me. Maybe it's not the clutch like you say, but I can't even get past the first step of getting the dealer to admit any problem.

I just want to be able to drive the car somewhat smoothly without constantly worrying about jerking my passengers around in daily driving. It's not really a problem when driving all out so that's the good news ...

Sorry for hijacking the thread ... I'm just jealous that some people seem to be able to get good service and get the obvious known problems fixed while my local dealers just play dumb. Or maybe they're not playing ...
One other thing to check. Do you know what a "sprint booster" looks like?
Old 01-28-2008, 09:12 PM

06 e55 wagon
Originally Posted by Yacht Master
One other thing to check. Do you know what a "sprint booster" looks like?
No, I know what it is/does based on reading this forum, but have no clue what it looks like ...
Old 01-28-2008, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No, I know what it is/does based on reading this forum, but have no clue what it looks like ...
As you know a sprint booster is the equivalent to a hair pin trigger. You may want to take a look and make sure one did not find it's way in to your car.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...Sprint+Booster
Old 01-29-2008, 07:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
2020 S560,14 ml350, 03 sl55, silver, pano, slr cams, evo headers, lsd, 2019 s63 cab.
i have a close friend that is a service manager at hagerstown mercedes. i cannot get my sc clutch replaced even with him as a friend. he says the regional people reject the warranty work payament and put it back on the dealer. i don't know if it is a east coast thing or just the west coast people haven't caught up to the rejecting of the cost from the main office. i too have a rough engagement, but have a larger pulley.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:35 AM

Im in the same boat with the supercharger it emgages rough and chirps to no end. I have the stock pulley I can just imagine what it would be like with the larger pulley. The dealership wanted to replace it but MB would not let them so I got a lawyer and well see what happens.
Will
Old 01-29-2008, 11:34 AM

06 S55 AMG, 03 SL55 AMG, 02 S430(sold), 05 F150, 06 Ranger, My baby 07 HD Rdking
That's BS, I took mine to the dealer, and they found out that the SC clutch was bad, they replaced the whole super charger, as they said they just don't change the clutch, I don't know where you're from Supr, but mercedes of fremont gave me no grief, and it took them less than 2 day, to do everything, including a new IC pump, thermostates, and etc.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
Originally Posted by theboogers
i have a close friend that is a service manager at hagerstown mercedes. i cannot get my sc clutch replaced even with him as a friend. he says the regional people reject the warranty work payament and put it back on the dealer. i don't know if it is a east coast thing or just the west coast people haven't caught up to the rejecting of the cost from the main office. i too have a rough engagement, but have a larger pulley.
They replaced mine a few months ago without any problems or questions.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:28 AM

Do you guys think, just put in the Jhonson pump, or should I stick with the new, and supposedvley improved Bosh pump???
Old 01-30-2008, 12:27 PM

2 Merc dealers wont do anything and the 1800 customer service line refused to let me speak with a supervisor or rep after 2 weeks of going back and forth and then hung up on me.
Will
Old 01-30-2008, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 ///AMG
Originally Posted by Suprfknman
2 Merc dealers wont do anything and the 1800 customer service line refused to let me speak with a supervisor or rep after 2 weeks of going back and forth and then hung up on me.
Will
Where do you live?
Old 01-30-2008, 03:19 PM

Connecticut. I went to Fairfield MB first they said they would take care of it but then said they couldnt do anything for it. They also told me they ran software updates and fixed other warranty issues which they really had not they just lied to me. I took it next to the MB dealer in East Haven and they were nice and did all the warranty work that the first MB dealer claimed they had done but had not. They verified the clutch issue and tried to adjust some shims which they said was supposed to correct the issue but it did not help. The chirp is very loud its downright embarrassing. Even when you slow down to take a turn and then accellerate it chirps I can hear it in the car with the windows up and the radio on. 120K cars should not chirp. So back to the 2nd MB dealer they said MB refuses to authorize a replacement supercharger assembly and their hands are tied. There is nowhere to contact an MB corporate rep so I got a lawyer. Federal law states a car dealer must honor their warranty. My factory warranty expires in a few weeks but I have been going back and forth with this issue for several months I think they think if they run my warranty down then Im out of luck but we'll see what the lawyer can do. I can say this when ever I brought my M5 to bmw for warranty work it was never a problem and I brought a 750 I had bought there a few weeks ago and it had damage to the interior and controls from obvious abuse and there was no questions they just warrantied it all. My S55 looks as new as it did the day it was delivered I cant see how they have the ***** to deny a repair for an obvious problem.
Will
Old 01-30-2008, 07:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 ///AMG
Here is what they did for me. Hope it helps.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...95#post2432195
Old 01-30-2008, 07:30 PM

They have been stringing me along for a few months on this stating that MB is "reviewing it" but they are really trying to run down my warranty. I know a guy at MB white plains NY and he said they would not let him do anything for it either.
Will
Old 01-31-2008, 09:40 AM

SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
I took my car for 48000 mi check and told the SA for the 2nd time about premature SC shutoff due the weak pump. They finally were able to pull up a service bulletin about it and placed it. No more heat sink. All was done under warranty.

Clutch engagement is now much smoother, despite no mention from me. I don't think they changed the clutch pack.