Sponsored by:

Just finished the VRP TB install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 02:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55
Just finished the VRP TB install

I'll tell you, this is a biatch and a half of a job if you are on your own.

I bought rflow306's 80mm TB and other stuff.

Just took the car for a test drive and since the install I have no SC.

What did I mess up?

I checked the SC clutch electrical plug. Seems OK.

There was a fitment problem with the (1) y-pipe and (2) the rubber hose that goes from the TB into each head. The diameter of the 80mm TB has a connector for the rubber hose that is much larger. Attached is the pictures of the old rubber hose, which will not fit.

The y-pipe I got must not be the right piece. If I leave the rubber ring in it it will not fit. It fits without it. Most likely pulling in air.

So, could these two intake related mounting problems cause the SC to be switched off by the ECU?

I had a code initially when I turned the car on but it did not come back after I cleared it. Come to think of it, it was something about charge air. But how can that be with the car is just idling?

I'll have to get the correct size rubber hose and Y-pipe tomorrow. Maybe that will do it.
Attached Thumbnails Just finished the VRP TB install-cimg0489.jpg   Just finished the VRP TB install-cimg0488.jpg  

Last edited by sanfran; 01-29-2008 at 02:31 AM.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:10 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
I installed mine myself as well. Here's a view from the top but what do you have connected to the larger port on the bottom of the TB housing? Nothing?

Old 01-29-2008, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E 55
Originally Posted by sanfran

What did I mess up?

There was a fitment problem with the (1) y-pipe and (2) the rubber hose that goes from the TB into each head. The diameter of the 80mm TB has a connector for the rubber hose that is much larger. Attached is the pictures of the old rubber hose, which will not fit.

The y-pipe I got must not be the right piece. If I leave the rubber ring in it it will not fit. It fits without it. Most likely pulling in air.

So, could these two intake related mounting problems cause the SC to be switched off by the ECU?

I had a code initially when I turned the car on but it did not come back after I cleared it. Come to think of it, it was something about charge air. But how can that be with the car is just idling?

I'll have to get the correct size rubber hose and Y-pipe tomorrow. Maybe that will do it.
The pvc y-piece will fit on the new tb you have to stretch it on.
None of these things will cause you not to have boost. Make sure you re-connected the bypass valve plug. You can run the car with-out the filter assembly and it will still make boost. Check all your connections for a boost-leak, surge tanks and hose clamps.

Last edited by rflow306; 01-29-2008 at 11:19 AM.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A slow Tahoe!
80mm issue

What did you do to fix your porblem?

What did I mess up?

Old 07-08-2008, 10:27 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
I agree with RFlow. If you are not getting boost you most likely forgot to reconnect the 6wire harness to the bypass valve. The connector is identical to the TB connector. The only difference between them is that one of the wire looms has a blue stripe on it (that is the one that goes to the Bypass valve).

If this is the case you will get a MAP Sensor code and the car will go into limp mode and not engage the S/C.

What did I mess up?