W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Raped at Dealer!! - For New Battery

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-20-2008, 04:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 SL500R / 2003 BMW M5
Originally Posted by jrcart
They didn't even use any KY either.....ouch!
He didn't get any because he DIDN'T PAY for it! Some dealers just jam it right up. Little do they realize (or even care sometimes) they may be loosing a customer in the long run.

Last edited by Dragoncoach; 02-20-2008 at 04:24 PM.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Formula Mazda, Beast Junior...400HP 135i
Originally Posted by Yacht Master
#1 Back up for SBC (electric brakes)
I think it is used for power conditioning on the command (that is a guess by me ) cause during a start cycle the command never skips a beat. I think the car will run in limp mode on the small battery, but that small battery will not start the motor.

The SBC backup makes sense. I can also see it being used as a "buffer" for other systems.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 E55
Its an aux battery for the consumers- when voltage gets too low (ie high electrical demand, low output from alternator);a cut-off relay will close bringing the aux battery into play raising the system voltage.

On a side note, I agree these prices are high, but whe cant forget these are an $80k + car. Just a thought
Old 02-20-2008, 07:21 PM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
SL600
Originally Posted by m3tonyh@verizon
Its an aux battery for the consumers- when voltage gets too low (ie high electrical demand, low output from alternator);a cut-off relay will close bringing the aux battery into play raising the system voltage.

On a side note, I agree these prices are high, but whe cant forget these are an $80k + car. Just a thought
I don't care if you own a Phantom, $500 for a battery is still outrageous. Actually, I doubt the rolls dealer even charges THAT much.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:25 PM

'03 E55
Originally Posted by CWW
I don't care if you own a Phantom, $500 for a battery is still outrageous. Actually, I doubt the rolls dealer even charges THAT much.
Oh, they do
Old 02-20-2008, 07:28 PM

My ex-cars: 03 E55,04 C32, 05 C55 ,03 E320
I paid 151$ for a OEM battery (located in my trunk) for my 2003 E55...
I installed it myself in 15 minutes
Old 02-20-2008, 07:53 PM

They had their way with you like a red head step child, they don't care if you do not come back anymore, because new ones just keep coming.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'04 Silverado Z71 - sold all my Benzes and need another!
Yeah, I'm having the consumers shutting off malfunction on an 03 E500 I'm driving and the diagnosis was the front battery and voltage regulator. The price on the front battery is about right but they shouldn't have charged that rediculous service/labor fee!
Old 02-21-2008, 10:15 AM

E55
jimmydagreek,

What did they charge you for labor if you dont mind me asking?
Old 02-21-2008, 11:38 AM

2003 e55
dont feel bad dude.. im pickin up my car today or tomorow.. and ill have to pay at least 2000$+... its in there for alternator, main battery.. and some kind of censor that goes out alot on w211 e55s.. and is going to charge me for towing when i had free tows from my insurance company.. mbz.. is BS!! this would be my first and last benz without factory warranty, learn from mistakes
Old 02-21-2008, 12:54 PM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL600
Originally Posted by III II I I AMG
dont feel bad dude.. im pickin up my car today or tomorow.. and ill have to pay at least 2000$+... its in there for alternator, main battery.. and some kind of censor that goes out alot on w211 e55s.. and is going to charge me for towing when i had free tows from my insurance company.. mbz.. is BS!! this would be my first and last benz without factory warranty, learn from mistakes
Ouch...

FWIW, though, it's not that bad to own a benz without a warranty, as long as you find and build a relationship with a good Indy. And instead of carrying on with MB Roadside, which I agree sucks and overcharges, just get a AAA unlimited-towing membership for $100, or if you have an Amex charge card already then you can call them and ask to upgrade it. The gold and platinum cards both come with roadside assistance and towing for free.

Once you get the car to where it's going, the dealer will take 5 times as long and charge 3 or 4 times as much as a good independent shop. Most of the Benz factory-trained mechanics eventually go out on their own, because the dealers don't pay them squat. So, there are actually a ton of very well-qualified (better than the dealers' techs) people around to take your car to.

Most of these guys have been doing it for 30+ years, and can walk up to your car and tell just by sound what is wrong with it when the dealer would charge you 3hrs to diagnose it, plus then you don't have to deal with bringing it back to the dealer 2 more times after they fix the first thing so that they can fix the other couple of things they broke when they were in there, but won't admit to.

Once you start using Indy's, it's a whole new world, filled with a lot less hassle. If you still are under warranty, though, then you may as well keep going to the dealer...they're paying for it, and you may as well get your free loaner car.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:34 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Your labor charges seem to be correct! It looks to be about 2hr labor.
Unfortunalty the 211 has two batteries, so the tech has to test both. There is a test for a parasitic drain (ask the 01-03 W202 owners about battery drains). There is also a battery control module that could be caousing you r issues. Wouldn't you love to spend xx on a battery replace it yourself and 2 days later the same warining pops up? Then they have to replace the battery. And I hate to say it but of you are balking at $450.00 to replace a battery and you own an out of warranty E55 especially and 03 prepare to have you wallet raped by your car!
Old 02-21-2008, 02:45 PM

C43, SLK32, CLK63 Black Series
I called Roadside assistance for my SLK32 and the total bill was something like $110. Next time, considering doing if yourself of call Roadside assistance. It is a very common call for them so they bring batteries with them and it takes like 10 minutes.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 AMG
I needed a jump start at my house after being gone for a week (I knew the battery was on the way out, an '03 original) so I called Roadside Assistance. The guy came out, and we talked about the battery...he said the E55 takes the black battery but he has put in plenty of the white batteries and they worked fine. The difference between the two is the black battery can sustain amperage longer than the white battery. I ask, "well, what is the amperage on the black vs white"...he says, "90 amps on the black, 95 amps on the white". Oh, and the price for the black was $260 and the white was $137.00...yeah, I had the white installed. Higher initial amperage and I seriously doubt I need the "sustained output" of the black since I won't be jumpstarting any tractor trailers or anything. The guy was cool, did the switch and away I went. Cheaper than the dealer too...maybe if I need the auxiliary I'll just call Roadside Assistance.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:39 PM

E55
Originally Posted by BryanW203
Unfortunalty the 211 has two batteries, so the tech has to test both. There is a test for a parasitic drain (ask the 01-03 W202 owners about battery drains). There is also a battery control module that could be caousing you r issues. Wouldn't you love to spend xx on a battery replace it yourself and 2 days later the same warining pops up? Then they have to replace the battery. And I hate to say it but of you are balking at $450.00 to replace a battery and you own an out of warranty E55 especially and 03 prepare to have you wallet raped by your car!
I do have an extended warranty and one of the best according to the Dealer (Mercury Platinum) ..
but, no extended warranty is going to cover a battery or other "maintenance" items regardless.

.. and sorry, $450.00 to replace a battery is excessive any way you slice it..
Old 02-21-2008, 03:59 PM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL600
Originally Posted by BryanW203
2hrs labor my azzz.

It takes 15 minutes to change a battery. If you change both of them, that would be a whopping .5hrs, actually probably less since the one in the trunk is easier to swap.

Also, FYI, the voltage and battery health tests are internal to the car's diagnostics. The tech isn't climbing inside the engine bay with a voltmeter or anything. So that takes however long it takes them to plug it into the star computer and print a page. So I think 5 minutes for that is being generous.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by yeahdickey
jimmydagreek,

What did they charge you for labor if you dont mind me asking?
My mechanic hasn't done it yet but he is only charging me on labor for some other things and swapping the battery for free. I mean, it's only going to take his guys a few minutes and he's making money on other labor on the car.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

What kind of problems were you having? I'm getting a malfunction with a white battery light and consumers electronics shutting off message. My mechanic said that so far he finds it to be the batteries (both) the voltage regulator and possibly the altenator.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:46 PM

2003 e55
my problem is crank position sensor, alternator.. and battery dead cause of alternator.. which the battery/alternator light came on.. brake light came on.. abs light came on.. blah blah... stop vehicle light came on.. so i was trying to drive the car to mercedes with everything popping on and beeping noise.. so i pulls out the parking space, power steering wasnt working.. then brakes were very hard, no abs.. when i pulled out the complex.. i was in first, going.. up to 5k rpm, the transmission wouldnt shift to 2nd.. and out of nowhere.. it stalled out in the middle of the road.. but the tech told me.. when the battery goes low on these cars.. all sorts of weird things happens like me.. and crank position sensor goes out often on these cars.. so im picking it up tomorow.. total is 2116$ include towing
Old 02-21-2008, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

my problem is crank position sensor, alternator.. and battery dead cause of alternator.. which the battery/alternator light came on.. brake light came on.. abs light came on.. blah blah... stop vehicle light came on.. so i was trying to drive the car to mercedes with everything popping on and beeping noise.. so i pulls out the parking space, power steering wasnt working.. then brakes were very hard, no abs.. when i pulled out the complex.. i was in first, going.. up to 5k rpm, the transmission wouldnt shift to 2nd.. and out of nowhere.. it stalled out in the middle of the road.. but the tech told me.. when the battery goes low on these cars.. all sorts of weird things happens like me.. and crank position sensor goes out often on these cars.. so im picking it up tomorow.. total is 2116$ include towing
Wow, the one I'm driving is not that bad but every once in a while that malfunction consumers blah blah comes on and sometimes the ABS light does to and the radio mute button comes on and no sound. It just goes away when it wants to and mechanic said it was I mentioned above.

Good luck with the car bro...
Old 02-21-2008, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Guys nothing is worse than low voltage, it kills sensors and IC boards the quickest way to gremlinize your car is low voltage.
Old 04-13-2008, 05:50 PM

I just replaced this battery myself. It is a motorcycle battery. Just get the sealed AGM type. You can buy it with the acid separate and it has to be charged, or some come sealed from the supplier, and don't need the charge. I picked mine up at Autozone- get the 69.95 dollar one, it is AGM. Probably available cheaper if you look hard. The car uses the 14BS size motorcycle battery. The case even had the EXACT same stampings as the OEM one that came out of the car.

Bob
Old 11-03-2008, 10:26 PM

'04 E55; '03 E500 Sport
Replacing batts a breeze, but Nav won't come back...

Had the dreaded "Convenience items not available" message in my '04 E55 while on a recent weekend trip out of town, with loss of radio, nav system, and A/C. I was able to replace both of the batteries from a generic auto parts shop for about $168...Bosch for the main battery ($89 Bosch Group 46 w/ 850 cca, I think) and an Interstate accessory battery (it's a very common AGM type 14BS motorcycle/ATV battery, $69 ). Stealer wanted over $380 for parts plus labor to install, total quote was almost $600! Only takes a 10mm and 13mm socket or wrench and well under an hour.

I was able to use some small Radio Shack jumper leads to splice in the new batteries while replacing them, so did not need to re-synch windows, sunroof, etc.

However....

Question for those who've been through this...all the "convenience systems" came back, except for the nav system. I'm getting a "nav not available" message on the COMMAND display, and the DVD unit is non-responsive (DVD won't eject, etc.). I even tried to reset it by pulling the nav fuse, but no luck.

Before I go to the local stealer, is there any other procedure I can try? Thanks....

Last edited by dbarrym; 11-03-2008 at 10:28 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-03-2008, 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
+1 my burned cds are stuck inside my disc changer and they wont eject? anyone know how to get them out?
Old 11-04-2008, 06:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
E 63S Wagon Renntech, E55 Renntech, SL65, SL 55 030, ML, bunch of old ones--they come, they go...
OK, I can top this battery story...

so my late model 5 series becomes hard to start . I have to jump it, twice. I call my regular SA at the BMW store, tell him I"m going to get it there so they can leave it running, get it inside and do the battery test. Surely it will fail.
It does fail. Only one problem. The battery test shows that I have not driven the CAR ENOUGH in the last month. Since that is BELOW BMW's "use guidelines", the warranty will not be honored. I'm in the trade, so I usually get a small discount on parts. Oh, BTW, batteries are a full list item now to everyone--262.00 for an E 60. That's not the best part. Since they had to rand r the battery, the car had to be REPROGRAMMED at a charge of another $220.00. I believe that makes me the winner with a FOUR HUNDRED AND EIGHTY ish dollar battery.
This is absolute garbage, and as you know, I always try to see both sides of the story. It's nothing but a way to deny warranty claims. After talking to my firned who works for BMW NA, he tells me that they are even denying failed batteries on NEW cars that are sitting in inventory. And of course, a non BMW battery would most likely cause all my electrical and engine management warranty claims to be denied under warranty.
I would encourage you to assume NOTHING and always ask. A not to exceed is always good, on ANY ticket.
BMW, I do wish you were monitoring this board. I do plan on venting about this during the QC phone call, and getting $480 worth of anger out of it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Raped at Dealer!! - For New Battery