W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Debating on buying an e55 AMG... I'm scared for life!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 BEAST
Amazing deal, what dealership was this at? Can your friend take care of me? Hell, at that price I'll buy another one. Congrats on the car and have fun
Old 02-26-2008, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 2005 E46 M3 ZCP
im the older brother. the one with the amg.

ive seen deals all the time. hell i got one on mine

an 05 fully loaded with pano, keyless, active ventilated seats. ]

i got this car september 2007 for 47k from a friend.
at the time traden was 45k but he just took delivery on a 997 gt3 RS and could not have 5 cars in the driveway, so this one went to me.

27k miles at the time.

32k now.
so you see, deals can be had.

oh and its CPO>
Old 02-26-2008, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
Originally Posted by 2005E55AMGLOL
That's good... some people have all the luck

I should look for you when I'm looking for cars in the future Gotta share some of your luck w/ fellow members...
Old 02-26-2008, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
im the older brother. the one with the amg.

an 05 fully loaded with pano, keyless, active ventilated seats. ]

i got this car september 2007 for 47k from a friend.
at the time traden was 45k but he just took delivery on a 997 gt3 RS and could not have 5 cars in the driveway, so this one went to me.

27k miles at the time.

32k now.
so you see, deals can be had.

oh and its CPO>
Can you tell me how it was CPO-ed?
Old 02-26-2008, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Yacht Master
Can you tell me how it was CPO-ed?
According to this thread https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/228342-sale-my-05-e55-amg.html

He bought it private party so the CPO transferred.... from A FRIEND who was going to trade the car in for 997TT or 997GT3

Just like one of the points I mentioned.... IF you have A FRIEND, you COULD get a killer deal. Happened to him and OP. Nothing is special... nothing is out of ordinary.

So 2005E55AMGLOL: Please tell your brother not to force a seller who doesn't know him in person, hence, not a friend, to give him a killer deal for no reason. From various threads, he seemed to "force" various sellers to lower their price so he could get similar deal as yours.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 AMG C63 S
Originally Posted by D Bst
Mercedes CPO optional extended Warranty (for an extra two years) is $3995 (and well worth the dollars up front).

I say go for it... @ $45K with a warranty that's a steal!

Make sure you buy the Extended Two year option, the normal CPO covers you for 12 additional months or to 100k miles... the extended adds time ( one or two further years) to the warranty - but are you really going to do 80K miles in one year? Buy the extra time up front and know you'll be covered for another 3 years...
Good infomation, I see this get missed all the time. What good is a five year 100,000 warranty? One almost has to get the two additional years.

This deal is incredible for a low mileage CPO '05. I would want better options but punching the car will make it better.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by zoink
According to this thread https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=228342

He bought it private party so the CPO transferred.... from A FRIEND who was going to trade the car in for 997TT or 997GT3

Just like one of the points I mentioned.... IF you have A FRIEND, you COULD get a killer deal. Happened to him and OP. Nothing is special... nothing is out of ordinary.

So 2005E55AMGLOL: Please tell your brother not to force a seller who doesn't know him in person, hence, not a friend, to give him a killer deal for no reason. From various threads, he seemed to "force" various sellers to lower their price so he could get similar deal as yours.

zoink. you got the first part right. but the 2nd part. i think ur a bit out of line. i didnt force anyone to do anything. i just merely stated my brothers looking for an e55 for the right price.

honestly, if i had forced anyone, then i think my brother would have his e55 by now. honestly though, there are deals to be had. i have had numerous friends get cars for great deals, and not all of them new someone in the automotive industry. i just happen to have. and got a smokin deal on my E55. however, people need to realize, there is the law of supply and demand. we are in recession. if you dont think so, then ur delusional. you theoritically have hte price to ask whatever you want. you can ask 100k for an 03 E55. thats not the point. the point is sellers need to take into consideration whats the TRUE MARKET VALUE of the car. 03s will not go for 45k. i dont care if the cars low miles and whatnot or you have a few mods. 04s do not go for mid 50s. 05s do not go for 60s. you are allowed to ask that much yes, because you have the freedom of speech to say whatever you want, but to expect someone to pay that much is like you are hoping for an idiot with a lot of money who doesnt do his research or could care less.

good luck with those.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:16 AM

and the short vesion of the story is..

my friend was taking delivery on a 997 GT3RS. he has 3 other cars. no room for the AMG, so the dealer offered him 45k for tradein, he said if i could beat that the car would be mine, and i offered 47k. car sold to me.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

According to this thread https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=228342

It is so strange that a guy would make such a dumb move. If traded to dealer he would get $45K and a refund on the not yet in effect warranty of $4k for a total of $49K. Hard to see but then takes $47 guess he really wanted to get rid of the car, I wonder why
Old 02-27-2008, 08:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

OK... don't mean to start pissing contest.... just a closing remark that at least some members were quite annoyed at your brother.

I'll leave up to your interpretation whether or not he "forced" or tried to "force" to get a deal.

See the thread I linked above... also see the thread E55 RUSS started... and I think JROCKET's thread also.

What I saw... your brother went from one FS thread to another. The sellers asked x dollars for the cars. Your brother thought it was too high for the year/condition/mileage or what not.

Instead of taking it offline or just moving on (since like you said, you agreed that no matter the reason is, the sellers have the right to ask whatever $), your brother kept arguing with the sellers.... pointing that his brother (you) and a friend of his got this and that car for x and y dollars.

Do you think it's fair to the sellers? Who do you think is delusional? The seller who may ask ridiculous price or your brother who knows that you got a killer deal and he wants one also? $47K in Sept'07 was amazing price so did OP. But remember, both OP and you were dealing w/ a friend... not with someone who you never met before, not with a dealer which you got close connection.

But either way... if your brother hasn't found an E55 yet and keeps doing what he's been doing, this is my prediction: The very next FS ad in MBWORLD for similar car, he would mention this thread. Someone got '05 w/ 19K on the clock, CPO *AND* from a dealer for $43K. Then he would keep "forcing" the seller to lower the price to $43K *or lower*.

Take this example:
Let's say.... I sold my loaded E55 to my friend (let's call him A) 3 months ago for $20K. Was I stupid? Could be... but hey, friendship is worth more than money for me. But that's not the point... the point, the transaction did happen.

Now... another friend of mine (let's call him B) tried my E55 and got hooked. So he started searching for an E55 and found your ad at MBWORLD.

You got the same year, higher mileage, less loaded (no designo I presume ) and you're asking $40K. Reasonable to general public? I think so... I even think it's very cheap but not to B.

B wanted to get around $20K... so he said he could only pay up to $25K.

In all likelihood, you'd reject his offer. Then, he started posting stuff publicly saying that you're delusional, you couldn't get any buyers, a friend of his got an E55 for $20K, the whole nine yards.

So... two points in this example:
1. B didn't take into account that A got a killer deal given exceptional situation
2. B should've just moved on. You didn't accept the offer, the deal couldn't go through... why not moving on instead of trash talking in the forum?

See my point now? Regardless accurate or not... that's what I meant with "forcing".
Old 02-27-2008, 08:37 AM

Audi S4
zoink. you got the first part right. but the 2nd part. i think ur a bit out of line. i didnt force anyone to do anything. i just merely stated my brothers looking for an e55 for the right price.

honestly, if i had forced anyone, then i think my brother would have his e55 by now. honestly though, there are deals to be had. i have had numerous friends get cars for great deals, and not all of them new someone in the automotive industry. i just happen to have. and got a smokin deal on my E55. however, people need to realize, there is the law of supply and demand. we are in recession. if you dont think so, then ur delusional. you theoritically have hte price to ask whatever you want. you can ask 100k for an 03 E55. thats not the point. the point is sellers need to take into consideration whats the TRUE MARKET VALUE of the car. 03s will not go for 45k. i dont care if the cars low miles and whatnot or you have a few mods. 04s do not go for mid 50s. 05s do not go for 60s. you are allowed to ask that much yes, because you have the freedom of speech to say whatever you want, but to expect someone to pay that much is like you are hoping for an idiot with a lot of money who doesnt do his research or could care less.

good luck with those.

I don't even post on here very often and hell don't even own an E55. I'd like to pick one up in the future though. You garbage up a lot of these threads with "you're charging too much" and the argument goes on and on. Guess what? You or your brother or whoever would already have bought an E55 if those deals were to be found. You say "those deals are out there". Great, go find one off the forums then. How many months have you been looking now? If those "great deals" were really that prevalent, why haven't you found one elsewhere? People like you bug the ***** out of me. You're so cheap (or really can't afford the true price of the car) that you're not willing to pay what a car is really worth. Why doesn't your brother go buy an E500 that he can afford so you can stop wasting space on this forum?
Old 02-27-2008, 12:21 PM
KA8

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
I got an 1991 Acura legend coupe about to hit 200K miles now and a 2006 C230. E55's are nice cars but coming from a reliable car you may be disappointed when it comes to reliability. I was disappointed with our MB. But that may be solved every time you step on the gas pedal. Good luck!
Old 02-27-2008, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Yacht Master
It is so strange that a guy would make such a dumb move. If traded to dealer he would get $45K and a refund on the not yet in effect warranty of $4k for a total of $49K. Hard to see but then takes $47 guess he really wanted to get rid of the car, I wonder why
wrong. im pretty sure u dont get an auto refund on taxes. if say u trade a car in 45k and u buy a car from the sale dealership for 80k, then you only pay taxes on 35k since 80k-45k= 35k.

he ordered the porsche about a year ago so there was no simultaneous tradeoff. which = no extra tax refund. if he had traded the car in he would have gotten 45k and they probbaly would have marked it up to 50k.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by adean1979
I don't even post on here very often and hell don't even own an E55. I'd like to pick one up in the future though. You garbage up a lot of these threads with "you're charging too much" and the argument goes on and on. Guess what? You or your brother or whoever would already have bought an E55 if those deals were to be found. You say "those deals are out there". Great, go find one off the forums then. How many months have you been looking now? If those "great deals" were really that prevalent, why haven't you found one elsewhere? People like you bug the ***** out of me. You're so cheap (or really can't afford the true price of the car) that you're not willing to pay what a car is really worth. Why doesn't your brother go buy an E500 that he can afford so you can stop wasting space on this forum?
wow. your a joke. do you know me? i have ever right to post whatever i want. last time i checked, i own an e55 and you didnt. and last time i checked, i live in the US where i have the freedom of speech. boo hoo, i bugged you. am i supposed to feel bad now? i dont know you, dont care to, and couldnt care less about you.

what i was willing to pay, what my brother feels like hes willing to pay, what my mother, or neighbor, or anyone else feels like they want to pay, what does that have to do with you? you are right, he could have bought one months ago, but im not along when im saying that a lot of us are willing to wait for the right car at the right price. once again, i dont see how any of this is your business.

if you dont like what im posting, then move on. dont read it. no one is holding a gun to your head forcing you to read anything. and trust me, i can readily afford this e55, as well as the few other "toys" i have in my garage. but regardless of what i make, if 2 stores had the same item and one store was selling it for 5 the other for 10, id still get it at the store selling for 5. and thats regardless of what i make.

so why dont you mind your own business while your at it.
good riddens.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:23 PM

OK... don't mean to start pissing contest.... just a closing remark that at least some members were quite annoyed at your brother.

I'll leave up to your interpretation whether or not he "forced" or tried to "force" to get a deal.

See the thread I linked above... also see the thread E55 RUSS started... and I think JROCKET's thread also.

What I saw... your brother went from one FS thread to another. The sellers asked x dollars for the cars. Your brother thought it was too high for the year/condition/mileage or what not.

Instead of taking it offline or just moving on (since like you said, you agreed that no matter the reason is, the sellers have the right to ask whatever $), your brother kept arguing with the sellers.... pointing that his brother (you) and a friend of his got this and that car for x and y dollars.

Do you think it's fair to the sellers? Who do you think is delusional? The seller who may ask ridiculous price or your brother who knows that you got a killer deal and he wants one also? $47K in Sept'07 was amazing price so did OP. But remember, both OP and you were dealing w/ a friend... not with someone who you never met before, not with a dealer which you got close connection.

But either way... if your brother hasn't found an E55 yet and keeps doing what he's been doing, this is my prediction: The very next FS ad in MBWORLD for similar car, he would mention this thread. Someone got '05 w/ 19K on the clock, CPO *AND* from a dealer for $43K. Then he would keep "forcing" the seller to lower the price to $43K *or lower*.

Take this example:
Let's say.... I sold my loaded E55 to my friend (let's call him A) 3 months ago for $20K. Was I stupid? Could be... but hey, friendship is worth more than money for me. But that's not the point... the point, the transaction did happen.

Now... another friend of mine (let's call him B) tried my E55 and got hooked. So he started searching for an E55 and found your ad at MBWORLD.

You got the same year, higher mileage, less loaded (no designo I presume ) and you're asking $40K. Reasonable to general public? I think so... I even think it's very cheap but not to B.

B wanted to get around $20K... so he said he could only pay up to $25K.

In all likelihood, you'd reject his offer. Then, he started posting stuff publicly saying that you're delusional, you couldn't get any buyers, a friend of his got an E55 for $20K, the whole nine yards.

So... two points in this example:
1. B didn't take into account that A got a killer deal given exceptional situation
2. B should've just moved on. You didn't accept the offer, the deal couldn't go through... why not moving on instead of trash talking in the forum?

See my point now? Regardless accurate or not... that's what I meant with "forcing".

you have some points, but your arguments has major flaws.

1. offering 20k for an W211 E55 is dumb. tradin is more than that. say a seller is offering an 04 e55 for 45k.
tradein on that car is 35k. if my brother offers say, 38-40k. i dont see what the problem in is that.

sure he could offer 20k, but the seller would be better off trading in the car than selling it PP.

you may be right that because of the friendship i was able to get this E55 for the price i got it, but i can also name many instances where two people who completely did not know each other were able to agree on a price and someone got a car for a very good price whereas the seller still got more than the tradein.

its the same concept at a dealership. say the stealer bought the car at auction for 30k. they will price it at 40k. someone who knows nothing and doesnt do research, lets name him buyer A, will probably come along, bargain down to 37k. buy the car, and think they got a deal.

someone who does do their research and has access to auction pricing, lets name him buyer B, will do their research find comparables say in the 28-32k range, let the dealership know that they know, find more comparables on ebay for close to the same price, and end up probably walking out with the car for 31-32k, KNOWING they got a great deal. the dealership still makes money, beacuse afterall, they have to. does either buyer know the dealership, or the sales associate? no. but by doing his homework and accessing auction pricing (which is not hard), buyer B would have saved thousands of dollars over buyer A. my point is, under most cases, cars are negotiable. not only is it a matter of exclusivity, its also a matter of supply, demand, and true market value. i have reviewed by brothers threads of using my account while i was gone, and although sometimes he could have toned it down a little, i honestly dont see any forcing. if he forced someone into selling then hed have an E55 in his driveway right now. last time i checked, that was not the case.

Yeah some people could care less have more money than they can spend, but most of us her if we can save, we try to do so.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

wrong. im pretty sure u dont get an auto refund on taxes. if say u trade a car in 45k and u buy a car from the sale dealership for 80k, then you only pay taxes on 35k since 80k-45k= 35k.

he ordered the porsche about a year ago so there was no simultaneous tradeoff. which = no extra tax refund. if he had traded the car in he would have gotten 45k and they probbaly would have marked it up to 50k.
What are you referring to? Who said anything about taxes?

Last edited by Yacht Master; 02-27-2008 at 08:44 PM.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

you have some points, but your arguments has major flaws.

1. offering 20k for an W211 E55 is dumb. tradin is more than that. say a seller is offering an 04 e55 for 45k.
tradein on that car is 35k. if my brother offers say, 38-40k. i dont see what the problem in is that.

sure he could offer 20k, but the seller would be better off trading in the car than selling it PP.

you may be right that because of the friendship i was able to get this E55 for the price i got it, but i can also name many instances where two people who completely did not know each other were able to agree on a price and someone got a car for a very good price whereas the seller still got more than the tradein.

its the same concept at a dealership. say the stealer bought the car at auction for 30k. they will price it at 40k. someone who knows nothing and doesnt do research, lets name him buyer A, will probably come along, bargain down to 37k. buy the car, and think they got a deal.

someone who does do their research and has access to auction pricing, lets name him buyer B, will do their research find comparables say in the 28-32k range, let the dealership know that they know, find more comparables on ebay for close to the same price, and end up probably walking out with the car for 31-32k, KNOWING they got a great deal. the dealership still makes money, beacuse afterall, they have to. does either buyer know the dealership, or the sales associate? no. but by doing his homework and accessing auction pricing (which is not hard), buyer B would have saved thousands of dollars over buyer A. my point is, under most cases, cars are negotiable. not only is it a matter of exclusivity, its also a matter of supply, demand, and true market value. i have reviewed by brothers threads of using my account while i was gone, and although sometimes he could have toned it down a little, i honestly dont see any forcing. if he forced someone into selling then hed have an E55 in his driveway right now. last time i checked, that was not the case.

Yeah some people could care less have more money than they can spend, but most of us her if we can save, we try to do so.
The $20K was merely used as an example to get my point acrossed.

There was nothing wrong how much your brother offered... regardless the amount, regardless whether his offer was based on outlier transactions (like yours and OP's). It's his right... but he also needs to remember that it's sellers' rights to reject his offer.

So once again... I have no problem w/ your brother giving an offer...

The problem is (if I haven't stated clearly) how your brother kept coming back arguing w/ the sellers and kept trying to convince the sellers to lower the price and what not.... the sellers clearly stated no, they couldn't accept your brother's offer. If your brother really wanted the cars, go ahead... give a better offer... start the negotiation. If not, a wise move that your brother should've done was move on. The deal couldn't be had. Period.

Is it clear now?
Old 02-27-2008, 11:03 PM

The $20K was merely used as an example to get my point acrossed.

There was nothing wrong how much your brother offered... regardless the amount, regardless whether his offer was based on outlier transactions (like yours and OP's). It's his right... but he also needs to remember that it's sellers' rights to reject his offer.

So once again... I have no problem w/ your brother giving an offer...

The problem is (if I haven't stated clearly) how your brother kept coming back arguing w/ the sellers and kept trying to convince the sellers to lower the price and what not.... the sellers clearly stated no, they couldn't accept your brother's offer. If your brother really wanted the cars, go ahead... give a better offer... start the negotiation. If not, a wise move that your brother should've done was move on. The deal couldn't be had. Period.

Is it clear now?
point taken. but a seller who asks 45k for an 03 or 60k for an 05 is going to sit on the car forever. or hope for that magical buyer.