Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lease is coming up on my E55 thinking of getting an RS4

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43, SLK32, CLK63 Black Series
I have an RS4. They are pretty quick at legal speeds. A few mods and they can be really nice and I think they look great. If you like it, drive one and you'll like it more. Best thing to do is to drive the cars you are considering back to back and just pick the one you like the best. You might want to wait until the C63 and new M3 are available and compare. I haven't heard too many good thing about the M5 other that it is fast at higher speeds but how often do you really drive 100+ mph?
Old 02-26-2008, 12:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 E55, 12 GL 450(wife)
I will give the RS4 credit for an incredible exhaust note...
Old 02-26-2008, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by Rock
The car is a beautiful design and looks like rolling art as it travels past. Great interior, wonderful ergonomics, tremendous interior lighting and all the latest techno-gadgets. Oh....and did I mention that exhaust note.......sweet Jesus!!!!!!

I have only a few concerns about this car (I've owned mine for 8-9 months):
1. This is not an "E55" fast car.
2. Lease deals usually not great on this vehicle
3. The car is heavy
4. The car is heavy.

If you're really considering this car, pm Vic 55. He got me a deal for $695/month +tax........ I just love Vic!!
The only thing true about this is Dave's cross country platonic love for me. Other than that, how could he be upside down if I got him that deal? Rock you are such the A$$ and I no longer feel for you in your negative equity issue. The best days of Rock's Audi RS4 lease, the first day and the last day
Old 02-26-2008, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by SteveL
I I haven't heard too many good thing about the M5 other that it is fast at higher speeds but how often do you really drive 100+ mph?
Are you kidding? Do you live under a rock? Read a magazine or ask an owner. Better still, try one yourself. (And don't say you already have as is the stock response).

Not trying to be rude but try and do what many in the CLKBS forum do not and think before you type.

Last edited by Carl Lassiter; 02-26-2008 at 11:08 AM.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:32 PM

Not kidding but what kind of response you would expect from an RS4 owner vs an M5 owner. Of course you are going to say the M5 is a great car but it seems that only M5 owners think it's great. Review after review of the M5 are not all that glowing.

Asking me if I live under a rock is rude. Have you read the reviews. Do you close you eyes before getting into the M5 because it is so ugly. Sorry but I don't mean to be rude.

Did you see this review: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=119784

Agreed is just one review but with the E39 M5, this would NEVER happen. With current M5, poor reviews are much easier to come by.

Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter
Are you kidding? Do you live under a rock? Read a magazine or ask an owner. Better still, try one yourself. (And don't say you already have as is the stock response).

Not trying to be rude but try and do what many in the CLKBS forum do not and think before you type.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Edmunds, don't make me laugh. Try Evo or Autocar. Most would agree they are the top two magazines. 5-stars in each seems high praise. Then try Jeremy Clarkson who puts it in his top 25 cars of al time. As for calling it ugly well that's a redundant statement being that looks are subjective. I happen to think that the RS4 you own is better looking but don't think my car at all ugly. I did chose to buy it after all.

Unless it's wet out the RS4 is simply not as fast as the E60 M5. Even in tests where it edges 0-60 the M5 tears past it before they reach three figure speeds. They're handling is closer than sheer straight line speed, but the front heavy nature of the RS4 ultimately hamstrings it. Great car, just keeping things in perspective.

The E39 remains a great car and a future classic, though the game has moved on.

Whether one likes the E60 M5 or not is also subjective and I'll freely admit it's not for everyone. However, looked at objectively it is one of the most capable cars on the road and the magazines agree. Hell, even E55 owners give it respect.

Not kidding but what kind of response you would expect from an RS4 owner vs an M5 owner. Of course you are going to say the M5 is a great car but it seems that only M5 owners think it's great. Review after review of the M5 are not all that glowing.

Asking me if I live under a rock is rude. Have you read the reviews. Do you close you eyes before getting into the M5 because it is so ugly. Sorry but I don't mean to be rude.

Agreed is just one review but with the E39 M5, this would NEVER happen. With current M5, poor reviews are much easier to come by.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 558 Likes on 368 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone

I'm surprised these barbs are still being thrown out here, I thought we had matured past this (imagine me saying that).

Your statement about repeated reviews speaking negatively about the M5 is just completely wrong. There is one common issue, the SMG, which is admittedly polarizing and definitely something that will be changed to a more mass-market multi-clutch system in the future.

I've read all of the reviews, and to be honest the only reviewers I respect aren't in America, where pressure from advertisers prohibits objective journalism. If you look at EVO, Top Gear, or CAR, you'll find glowing reviews, and those are probably the only objective reviewers still out there. Hell Clarkson was the king in my eyes well before his review of the M5, and he LOVES that car but admits its quirky. I'll take quirky.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Received 512 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
Originally Posted by Vic55
The only thing true about this is Dave's cross country platonic love for me.
That just sounds wrong.

Other than that, how could he be upside down if I got him that deal?
Sorry, I forgot to put the at the end of my sentence to alert you of an untruth.

Rock you are such the A$$...........
Now you sound like my wife.

The best days of Rock's Audi RS4 lease, the first day and the last day
Agreed
Old 02-26-2008, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 BEAST

Whether one likes the E60 M5 or not is also subjective and I'll freely admit it's not for everyone. However, looked at objectively it is one of the most capable cars on the road and the magazines agree. Hell, even E55 owners give it respect.
Obviously I prefer the E55 to the M5, thats why I got it, But Carl is right. The M5 is my second favorite car on the road. I dont like the E55 more because I think it performs better or anything, but for me, the performance specs are too close to matter, so I just went with whichever one I had a taste for. I get offended when people talk s**t about the M5, just because you like the cars competition doesn't mean you cant like the car.

And for gods sake... if you like the RS4, and if it has enough room, and if its fast enough for you (and if the S6 is out of your price range right now) then get the RS4 if you can get a good price on it. Get whatever makes you happy. Whatever is going to get you excited to leave the house.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 BEAST
^And if it's good enough for Clarkson, it's way more than any of us will ever need.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:37 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
I'm surprised these barbs are still being thrown out here, I thought we had matured past this (imagine me saying that).

Your statement about repeated reviews speaking negatively about the M5 is just completely wrong. There is one common issue, the SMG, which is admittedly polarizing and definitely something that will be changed to a more mass-market multi-clutch system in the future.

I've read all of the reviews, and to be honest the only reviewers I respect aren't in America, where pressure from advertisers prohibits objective journalism. If you look at EVO, Top Gear, or CAR, you'll find glowing reviews, and those are probably the only objective reviewers still out there. Hell Clarkson was the king in my eyes well before his review of the M5, and he LOVES that car but admits its quirky. I'll take quirky.

You and Carl L both know where I stand about SMG and I am going to go over the line here and state this:

The only people who dont like SMG are lazy drivers.

just kidding but it seems that way at times...
Old 02-26-2008, 02:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 E55, 12 GL 450(wife)
What about the IS-F? Has anyone checked that car out?
Old 02-26-2008, 02:33 PM

Carl, I think we mostly agree. I just simply reacted to your "rock" comment although I should have not commented about the M5. Clearly the biggest problem with M5 is the SMG and most of the reviewers can't get over it. I-drive is something I think people like or hate and the styling is similar, you either like it or don't. Personally I don't but can understand why people do.

The European mags also liked the RS4. I find Clarkson usually likes all of the high powered Euro cars, M5, RS4, even the CLKBS he gave 5 stars to. Here is the last paragraph of his review of the CLK BS:

"For sheer excitement, the CLK Black is a match for absolutely anything. Since it went back to Mercedes, I have been thinking about it a lot. Because I’m not sure that anyone’s life is quite complete unless they have one."

Anyone who can afford these cars is fortunate and they are all really good. The original poster should drive the ones he likes back to back and decide which one they like the best. I really don't think you can go wrong with any of them. He shouldn't buy the M5 or RS4 or E63 because of what other people say.

Edmunds, don't make me laugh. Try Evo or Autocar. Most would agree they are the top two magazines. 5-stars in each seems high praise. Then try Jeremy Clarkson who puts it in his top 25 cars of al time. As for calling it ugly well that's a redundant statement being that looks are subjective. I happen to think that the RS4 you own is better looking but don't think my car at all ugly. I did chose to buy it after all.

Unless it's wet out the RS4 is simply not as fast as the E60 M5. Even in tests where it edges 0-60 the M5 tears past it before they reach three figure speeds. They're handling is closer than sheer straight line speed, but the front heavy nature of the RS4 ultimately hamstrings it. Great car, just keeping things in perspective.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:09 PM

04 E55 & 04 Armada
Thanks people, didn't mean to ignite passions, just wanted to hear your various and valued opinions. I am a car nut and an obsessive researcher when it comes to future purchases, meaning I know the strengths and weaknesses of a car before I buy. I know its not as fast as the E55 but I know it will out handle it.
At this point my mind about the RS4 is made up.

thanks!
Old 02-26-2008, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Steve, we are all good and I meant the rock comment more tongue in cheek.

RayJ- I have a feeling your going to love it. Get a white or black one with luxury pack and please post pics when you can.

Carl, I think we mostly agree. I just simply reacted to your "rock" comment although I should have not commented about the M5. Clearly the biggest problem with M5 is the SMG and most of the reviewers can't get over it. I-drive is something I think people like or hate and the styling is similar, you either like it or don't. Personally I don't but can understand why people do.

The European mags also liked the RS4. I find Clarkson usually likes all of the high powered Euro cars, M5, RS4, even the CLKBS he gave 5 stars to. Here is the last paragraph of his review of the CLK BS:

"For sheer excitement, the CLK Black is a match for absolutely anything. Since it went back to Mercedes, I have been thinking about it a lot. Because I’m not sure that anyone’s life is quite complete unless they have one."

Anyone who can afford these cars is fortunate and they are all really good. The original poster should drive the ones he likes back to back and decide which one they like the best. I really don't think you can go wrong with any of them. He shouldn't buy the M5 or RS4 or E63 because of what other people say.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:08 PM

'12 ML350
Originally Posted by Ray J
At this point my mind about the RS4 is made up.
Cool choice...definitely post pics when you pick it up!

My vote is for Daytona Gray or Mugello Blue...
Old 02-27-2008, 09:12 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
'21 GLC63, '19 M5
Make sure you drive it a lot before buying... It is not in the same leage as the E55. I drove one a few times and def a no go.