W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reseting Moonroof Procedure......I hope this help!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 05:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
I realize this thread is terribly old but wanted to bump it and say thank you. Works great.
Old 10-28-2020, 06:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 CLS55 AMG
I tried some Silicon Lubricant on the rails. Now at least the sunroof opens on its own.
Still reopens 4" after it closes, but at least I have a sunroof!
Is there a DIY on how to relubricate these besides just "spray WD40" in there???
Still sounds like I have drag and grit when it opens and closes now.
Old 02-28-2021, 09:55 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
W212 E400
Anyone know how to reset the cover for the pano roof? Mine only closes in the front and the back section stays open.
Old 03-16-2021, 08:58 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Resurrecting the thread

Warning: lengthy post with description of what has happened.

I'm a new owner to 06 E55. Recently battery needed to be charged as the car set for extended period of time without being turned on. After reconnecting the battery terminals on, I have noticed that moonroof has been acting up.
I watched some of the YouTube videos on how to reset moonroof, it was for W211 platform, but not E55 specific. That being said, procedure from YouTube helped, but did not solve the issue completely. Prior to using YouTube instructions, my moonroof would not open/close/tilt with "one touch" function. I had to hold the button to open/close/tilt the moonroof. Afterwards, using "one touch" function it would open fully, but not close using the "one touch". It would close a few inches and then re-open. To fully close the moonroof, I had to hold the "close" button until it closes fully. If I was to release "close" button before the moonroof shuts fully, it would continue to close but then stop a couple of inches before being completely shut and then retract a few inches.

I will try the method in post #1 in this thread. Will update shortly.

Follow up: have tried the method to reset the moonroof bit of no avail. Does it make a difference if the key is "on" or "start" or engine running in order for this to work?

Last edited by Muhtish; 03-16-2021 at 09:42 PM.
Old 03-16-2021, 09:09 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,405 Likes on 2,848 Posts
2012 CLS63
Wish I had a moonroof, all I have is a crappy sunroof!
Old 01-19-2022, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 MERCEDES BENZ E300
TY

Originally Posted by E55-0817
Hi all,

This moonroof reseting procedure was giving to me by a MB tech at the dealer that I bought my car from. I hope this help!!!!!

Steps:

1) Open or try to open your moonroof all the way. Once it is fully opened, push the moonroof button toward the rear passenger sit and hold it for a good 5 seconds then release.

2) Upon completion of step 1, close or try to close the moonroof all the way. Once the moonroof is fully closed, push the moonroof button toward the winshield and hold it for a good 5 seconds then release.

3) Upon completion of step 2, open or try to open the moonroof to the tilt up-ward position ( like a triangle /_ ). Once it is fully tilt, push the moonroof button up toward the sky and hold it for a good 5 seconds then release.

This simple procedure will help you to reset your moonroof.

Mike
Thanks! Finally, I got it fixed.
Old 08-16-2022, 09:27 AM

Mercedes Benz cla250
Hi all,

This moonroof reseting procedure was giving to me by a MB tech at the dealer that I bought my car from. I hope this help!!!!!

Steps:

1) Open or try to open your moonroof all the way. Once it is fully opened, push the moonroof button toward the rear passenger sit and hold it for a good 5 seconds then release.

2) Upon completion of step 1, close or try to close the moonroof all the way. Once the moonroof is fully closed, push the moonroof button toward the winshield and hold it for a good 5 seconds then release.

3) Upon completion of step 2, open or try to open the moonroof to the tilt up-ward position ( like a triangle /_ ). Once it is fully tilt, push the moonroof button up toward the sky and hold it for a good 5 seconds then release.

Mike
can you help me my battery got low and now my sunroof won’t work in Tried rest but nothing the sunroof does even move a little

Old 08-16-2022, 09:29 AM

Mercedes Benz cla250
Hi all,

Steps:

Mike
Originally Posted by Blacksport350
If you loose batter power, the sunroof often needs to be reset. The symptom is that it will only move .5" at a time and stops. If this occurs, it needs to be reset and will then function normally. The windows should also be run up and down and the wheel should be run lock to lock (full left to full right) to reset everything if battery power has been interrupted.
what if the sunroof doesn’t move at all
Old 08-16-2022, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 516 Likes on 432 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
Then you would need to replace the sunroof motor, that is about $600. Hopefully the chains in the sunroof mechanism haven't broken.
Which would require the whole entire cassette to be replace. And that gets expensive.

I just had my panoramic sunroof motor replaced, luckily the chains were intact and only the motor needed to be replaced.

Last edited by Yuille36; 08-16-2022 at 09:41 AM.
Old 08-17-2022, 04:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 470 Likes on 408 Posts
2005 CLS55 AMG W219 C219
I made a video of the reset, but off course the roof needs to be operating for this to work