Adding Front Plate

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 then E63, now back to an E55
Adding Front Plate

What is and where can I buy the best bracket, that fits the curvature of the bumper? How much should I expect to pay and what is the perfect way to mount it? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 JDM
Nooooooooooo!!! Don't do it!!!!!!

Old 03-03-2008, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
07E63, 12E350, 08997TT, 16SiennaSE
Originally Posted by jpohl402
What is and where can I buy the best bracket, that fits the curvature of the bumper? How much should I expect to pay and what is the perfect way to mount it? Thanks in advance.
I have a Brand New factory plate holder P/N 2108850781 (black) for W210 for sale, don't know if it fit W211
Adding Front Plate-dsc00086xxx.jpg

Adding Front Plate-dsc00087xxx.jpg

Adding Front Plate-dsc00088xxx.jpg

Last edited by Peter_02AMG; 03-03-2008 at 11:51 AM.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by J 2OOI
Nooooooooooo!!! Don't do it!!!!!!

I havent fully commited yet! Future reference only.......
Old 03-03-2008, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Zip ties work great to correct a fix it ticket..NO Drilling required
Old 03-04-2008, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well I haven't got a fix it ticket, though the zip ties are a great idea. Does anyone have recommendations of a good plate bracket to purchase, if I decide to go that route? What fits best on the bumper?
Old 03-04-2008, 02:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 e55
i would leave it off until a ticket , then use the zip tie method to have it inspected and signed off, then off again....
Old 03-05-2008, 12:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 E63
if u haven't gotten any tickets than don't put on front plate. i never put any front plate on any of my cars and i never will. it ruins the beautiful lines of the car.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:52 AM
Out Of Control!!

1999 C280 Previous / 2008 E350
Originally Posted by jtc55
if u haven't gotten any tickets than don't put on front plate. i never put any front plate on any of my cars and i never will. it ruins the beautiful lines of the car.
I agree, but I feel that I will get caught one day. Going 6 months and so far no ticket......
Old 03-05-2008, 02:26 AM

Mercedes E55 AMG
Originally Posted by JRAMGV8
I agree, but I feel that I will get caught one day. Going 6 months and so far no ticket......
I've been going 25 years... in many different states... driving countless cars and so far no ticket! Even had one cop give me a ticket for illegal headlights (which were factory and he lost in court). When he wrote me the ticket, he walked to the front of my car to write down my license plate number. Failing to find a front plate, he walked around back and took it down off my rear plate. He never even mentioned the fact that I didn't have a front plate and boy was I sweating bullets. So, in the end, I got a ticket for something that was completely legal (which was dismissed) but he totally misses the legitimate ticket.

Anyway, I figure I'm living on borrowed time after a quarter century of no front plates but even if I have to pay a ticket for that tomorrow, amortized over 25 years I think it's an astonishing "mod" bargain!
Old 03-05-2008, 02:30 AM
Out Of Control!!

1999 C280 Previous / 2008 E350
Originally Posted by AMG Speed
I've been going 25 years... in many different states... driving countless cars and so far no ticket! Even had one cop give me a ticket for illegal headlights (which were factory and he lost in court). When he wrote me the ticket, he walked to the front of my car to write down my license plate number. Failing to find a front plate, he walked around back and took it down off my rear plate. He never even mentioned the fact that I didn't have a front plate and boy was I sweating bullets. So, in the end, I got a ticket for something that was completely legal (which was dismissed) but he totally misses the legitimate ticket.

Anyway, I figure I'm living on borrowed time after a quarter century of no front plates but even if I have to pay a ticket for that tomorrow, amortized over 25 years I think it's an astonishing "mod" bargain!
Hee hee, lucky man Where I live I keep hearing stories left and right about how people get pulled over with no front plates. (Knock on wood) I don't plan to put the front plates up but well see how far I'll go
Old 03-06-2008, 01:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AMG Speed

Good for you..... is that your car in the sig? Looks like a bracket on front - do you just leave a generic plate w car logo or something on front?
Old 03-06-2008, 02:53 AM

03 E320
Originally Posted by JRAMGV8
Hee hee, lucky man Where I live I keep hearing stories left and right about how people get pulled over with no front plates. (Knock on wood) I don't plan to put the front plates up but well see how far I'll go
man i live in the south bay area and i have a German style front plate with no rear plate a nothing so far
Old 03-06-2008, 03:22 AM

Mercedes E55 AMG
Originally Posted by jpohl402
Good for you..... is that your car in the sig? Looks like a bracket on front - do you just leave a generic plate w car logo or something on front?
That is not my car in the picture but it looks just like it. Truth be told, this is my first used car (couldn't resist the depreciation factor), and the car I bought had the bumper drilled (the inhumanity) and front bracket in place. So I bought a carbon fiber "AMG" plate off of eBay and that's what is currently on the front of my car. I haven't decided if this will draw more law enforcement ire than having no plate at all but so far so good.

As a side note, I actually like having the AMG plate on the front of the car. It's amazing how fast people get out of your way when they see that plate coming at 120 MPH.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:29 AM

S211 AMG
I have been pulled twice for no front plate and got two tickets, so I broke down and purchased the standard MB mount which I had painted. I then glued some very strong magnets to the back of it and covered those with felt.
Next, I removed the front bumper and glued some more more magnets on the inside of it so they can hold the mount in place. It works great and can easily removed when I cross the state line.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Fleebee
I have been pulled twice for no front plate and got two tickets, so I broke down and purchased the standard MB mount which I had painted. I then glued some very strong magnets to the back of it and covered those with felt.
Next, I removed the front bumper and glued some more more magnets on the inside of it so they can hold the mount in place. It works great and can easily removed when I cross the state line.
interesting idea
Old 03-06-2008, 12:43 PM

03 E320
Originally Posted by Fleebee
sounds like a lot of work