Sponsored by:

Windshield Bubbles???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 12:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 AMG
Windshield Bubbles???

I have a 2003 (18,000 miles) e55. My (front) windshield has clear, small bubbles on or in it, it almost looks like a bad window tint job (my front window is NOT tinted). The bubbles are no larger then a few mm in diameter (maybe 2mm). I have tryed many thing to get rid of this, different types of window cleaners, i have even tryed to use a blade to see if i can scrape it off. Nothing has worked. Originally i had figured it was dryed water spots. The only other thing i could imagine it being is the laminated safety glass ("def-a type of treated glass, which consists of two (typically) curved sheets of glass with a plastic layer laminated between them for safety") bubbing up maybe from the sun over time?

Please let me know if you have ever heard of this happening.

thanks alot!!!
Old 03-14-2008, 08:58 AM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
SL600
Are you sure someone never put clear UV film on your windshield or something?
Old 03-14-2008, 09:06 AM

E63,,,not any more,,,BMW X5 50i
Originally Posted by hamann69
I have a 2003 (18,000 miles) e55. My (front) windshield has clear, small bubbles on or in it, it almost looks like a bad window tint job (my front window is NOT tinted). The bubbles are no larger then a few mm in diameter (maybe 2mm). I have tryed many thing to get rid of this, different types of window cleaners, i have even tryed to use a blade to see if i can scrape it off. Nothing has worked. Originally i had figured it was dryed water spots. The only other thing i could imagine it being is the laminated safety glass ("def-a type of treated glass, which consists of two (typically) curved sheets of glass with a plastic layer laminated between them for safety") bubbing up maybe from the sun over time?

thanks alot!!!
It sound to me like you have dried water spots. Really can't clean them, even trying to remove them with a razor is very hard. There is a company in North Carolina called Duragloss that has a window cleaner that WILL remove hard water spots...I have used their products and they do a great job. Hope this helps!
Old 03-14-2008, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by hamann69

thanks alot!!!
I know this happens on the side glass for the W220 and W215 cars very often but I have never heard of it on the windshield. I think you are right in that the layers are bubbling. The factory should replace it if you were under warranty but I think its going to be customer pay given your cars age?

I went through many windows on a W220 in the pat.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:30 PM

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
I know this happens on the side glass for the W220 and W215 cars very often but I have never heard of it on the windshield. I think you are right in that the layers are bubbling. The factory should replace it if you were under warranty but I think its going to be customer pay given your cars age?

I went through many windows on a W220 in the pat.
How much do you think it could cost to have the windsheild replaced? My car is out of warrenty but im looking into a extended/aftermarket warrenty from mercedes.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:34 PM

'03 E55
Do they look more like tiny pits rather than bubbles? If so, every windshield that I have ever treated with RainX gets those after a few applications. Might be the culprit, unless they are actually bubbled out, in which case I have no idea.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:16 PM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
SL600
Originally Posted by Hazy1
Do they look more like tiny pits rather than bubbles? If so, every windshield that I have ever treated with RainX gets those after a few applications. Might be the culprit, unless they are actually bubbled out, in which case I have no idea.
Dayum.

I am going to stop using RainX pronto.

Trending Topics

Old 03-14-2008, 10:55 PM

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Hazy1
I think they are in between the glass i have even taken a blade to them and nothing.