W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need urgent help: AMG55 Tranny problems???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55 AMG
need urgent help: AMG55 Tranny problems???

Hey guys, i need your help urgently as i dont know what to do and my SA is on vacation so theres no one to take care of the car.

I GOT A 2006 CLS55 AMG, im sorry to post this here also, but this subforum gets a lot of views and since the E55 and CLS55 are similar in terms of transmission and engine im hoping someone could throw some light on this

Basically on sunday, there were some races and i entertained the crowd... did 2 burnouts (for about 20 seconds each) in dyno mode and also did some donuts (again twice for about half a minute each)... then raced 6-7 times from standstill (dyno mode disabled)... ESP off and mashed the accelerator in sport mode (D selected)....

This is when things started happening. First off all if i drove in sport or comfort then everything was ok, but if i put the CAR in Manual and then pressed the kickdown, the car would pop out of gear... it would just rev to the redline and not do anything. If i stopped the car i could drive off, but as soon as i hit kickdown in manual the same thing would happen again.

I let the car cool off for about 10 minutes, then did an ECU reset and left it overnight. This morning everything was pretty good, tried it countelss times with no problems.

BUT tonight, i did some spirited driving, on at 220km/h the car POPPED OUT of gear AGAIN !!! it was in Sports this time and set to D. I had to completely stop and it took me around 10 seconds to be able to drive off again... Still i thought no problems, so i drove again, and within 5 minutes the same thing happened.

So i let the car cool out, and took off, and now it ONLY stays in 2ND GEAR. I cant change gears whatsoever, i can select 1/2/3/4/D but nothing happens, it is always in the same gear????????????

Whats happening

Advice please

p.s. I always let the car warm up and cool down appropriately, but in the rest of the time i drive like a maniac. Ive done about 10 burnouts with it and at 19400km the car has had 5 sets of rear tyres
Old 03-25-2008, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Hope your warranty is in force, that sounds bad.
5 sets of tires in 12,000 miles That trans is so gone.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by Yacht Master
Hope your warranty is in force, that sounds bad.
5 sets of tires in 12,000 miles That trans is so gone.

yep. got another 11 months warranty. 5 months ago i hit a pothole and hit the oil tranny container(??), so the tranny went in limp 2nd gear mode with a check engine light, but they replaced said container and filled it with new tranny oil and everything was ok.

But now there is nothing in the malfunction menu and also no lights up on the dash??

only other thing ive done is to top up 1.5 liters of engine oil as the computer was saying that this is how much is necessary. I dont think ive overfilled it , and cant really imagine this to be the course of my problems???

BTW. 6th set of tyres is also below the legal thread limit and i was going to get them replaced on friday... i even bought another 5 sets of tyres to last me till July
Old 03-25-2008, 09:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
06 E55 Black
Originally Posted by 0700700
Hey guys, i need your help urgently as i dont know what to do and my SA is on vacation so theres no one to take care of the car.

I GOT A 2006 CLS55 AMG, im sorry to post this here also, but this subforum gets a lot of views and since the E55 and CLS55 are similar in terms of transmission and engine im hoping someone could throw some light on this

Basically on sunday, there were some races and i entertained the crowd... did 2 burnouts (for about 20 seconds each) in dyno mode and also did some donuts (again twice for about half a minute each)... then raced 6-7 times from standstill (dyno mode disabled)... ESP off and mashed the accelerator in sport mode (D selected)....

This is when things started happening. First off all if i drove in sport or comfort then everything was ok, but if i put the CAR in Manual and then pressed the kickdown, the car would pop out of gear... it would just rev to the redline and not do anything. If i stopped the car i could drive off, but as soon as i hit kickdown in manual the same thing would happen again.

I let the car cool off for about 10 minutes, then did an ECU reset and left it overnight. This morning everything was pretty good, tried it countelss times with no problems.

BUT tonight, i did some spirited driving, on at 220km/h the car POPPED OUT of gear AGAIN !!! it was in Sports this time and set to D. I had to completely stop and it took me around 10 seconds to be able to drive off again... Still i thought no problems, so i drove again, and within 5 minutes the same thing happened.

So i let the car cool out, and took off, and now it ONLY stays in 2ND GEAR. I cant change gears whatsoever, i can select 1/2/3/4/D but nothing happens, it is always in the same gear????????????

Whats happening

Advice please

p.s. I always let the car warm up and cool down appropriately, but in the rest of the time i drive like a maniac. Ive done about 10 burnouts with it and at 19400km the car has had 5 sets of rear tyres
You don't have to stick with the same SA, take it in now