W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Experiences with Mecury Platinum contract?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 CLK63 BS
Experiences with Mecury Platinum contract?

I finally decided to go with Mercury Platinum since it seems that they are the only solid one that I qualify for. Does anyone have any good/bad experience with them?
Old 03-28-2008, 04:25 PM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
SL600
I know my dad's office has sued them a few times for clients who they've stiffed, and the internet is littered with complaints about them. From what I understand, GE Warranty Co. and Chrysler Service Contracts are the only two aftermarket warranties that are close to being as good as a factory warranty. All the rest are just varying shades of bad.

The aftermarket companies tend to treat warranty claims more like negotiations. FWIW, I would figure they're like any other insurance company, and they have a knack for figuring out who will challenge them and wind up costing them more money, and who won't. Thinking along those lines, I figure they will hassle a guy with a $40k mercedes a lot less than the guy with a $10k exploder, because they know you can fight them if they screw you around.

In any event, I would imagine it has to be better than having no coverage at all.

Last edited by CWW; 03-28-2008 at 04:28 PM.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:45 PM

08 CLK63 BS
Originally Posted by CWW
I know my dad's office has sued them a few times for clients who they've stiffed, and the internet is littered with complaints about them. From what I understand, GE Warranty Co. and Chrysler Service Contracts are the only two aftermarket warranties that are close to being as good as a factory warranty. All the rest are just varying shades of bad.

The aftermarket companies tend to treat warranty claims more like negotiations. FWIW, I would figure they're like any other insurance company, and they have a knack for figuring out who will challenge them and wind up costing them more money, and who won't. Thinking along those lines, I figure they will hassle a guy with a $40k mercedes a lot less than the guy with a $10k exploder, because they know you can fight them if they screw you around.

In any event, I would imagine it has to be better than having no coverage at all.
Thanks for the info. Well the way I see it, there's nothing that will be like a factory warranty...period. So I'm assuming I will have problems settling claims with any of these companies. But it seems that this company is somewhat established and will actually be around to try to stiff me for the next 4 years. Alot of the other companies make me wonder if they will even still be around in 6 months...

But regardless what the case may be, the broker who sold me the contract said that I have 30 days to cancel the contract AFTER coverage begins. So that should at least buy me 30 days of hassle free coverage. Hopefully I can juice that for all it's worth.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:48 PM

2003 e55
Slack,
I had them for about a year on my 03 E55. Had two claims, one for airmatic air pump and ? else. No problems with payment. They don't pay for tax though.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:11 PM

08 CLK63 BS
Originally Posted by Icandr55
Slack,
I had them for about a year on my 03 E55. Had two claims, one for airmatic air pump and ? else. No problems with payment. They don't pay for tax though.
Well that's good to hear. The main reason why I chose Mercury is because they are a public company trading at $43 on the NYSE. This makes me more confident that they have the money to pay claims. That they're publicly traded also gives them more of an incentive not to do anything stupid that might make their stock plummet.