First track experience (long)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 12:07 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 e55
First track experience (long)

After all my questions in the "how-to" sticky, you guys know that I have been wanting to run my car. There is a track about 30 minutes south of OKC, in Noble, Oklahoma. I wanted to go on Friday, but didn't think it was going to happen. Much to my surprise, the lovely wife urged me to go and take my two older boys with me. Which brings me to my first of many mistakes. Because I didn't believe I would be going, I filled my car up on Thursday. If that wasn't enough, I was in such a rush to leave once I got the go-ahead that I forgot to unload the crap in my trunk. I did have time to review the "how-to" sticky and that was about it. Full of gas. Check. AAU basketball team gear in trunk. Check.

The test and tune started at 6, but I didn't make it down there until 8:30. I was a nervous wreck from the time I paid to get in. I didn't want to be "that" guy. As I was paying I dropped the entire contents of my wallet under the seat. Good thing I brought the kids along. Their arms are much smaller and I sorta needed that drivers license. That guy. Check.

Got in and ran up the entry lanes, which were 9 lanes wide. There was a bracket race there this weekend, so every kind of car imaginable was there. From low 7 second dragsters to a stock 99 Ford Taurus and everything in between. Saw some really cool old Mustangs and a couple of late 60's Mopars.

As soon as I got there, they began to clean the track. I sat in the lanes for over 45 minutes without moving. Because I was the turd in the punchbowl with the e55, I had alot of guys that came up to me to talk about the car. Only one guy knew what it was. But, I can't stress enough how friendly every one was to me, at least to my face. I got tips from nearly everyone that came to talk to me (at least one of which I should have ignored.) Everyone told me that my r/t would be really slow the first time.

When we finally got moving, I did remember to do the ECU reset. The chick selecting the races pulled me into the left lane with a really loud S-10. There was about 10 inches in between his rear tires so I knew I was screwed. From then on, most of the first run is a blur. From what I can recall, I did avoid the water box, remembered to turn off the traction control, did my little quiet burnout next to the billowing inferno that was the S-10. I turned the traction control back on and crept up the pre-stage area. As this was at night, I couldn't see very well and I had no idea what I was doing, I think I probably took a little too long to pre-stage. I really, really didn't want to pre-stage and then stage before the S-10 was able to see around all the smoke, as I was told this was a huge faux-pas. I found the pre-stage and waited. The S-10 hit the first light and then the second pretty quickly. Like a little old lady after smoking a blunt, I edged up to the second light and finally found it. The next thing I knew, the tree started glowing and I realized the S-10 was halfway down the track. I don't remember whether someone out of the stands actually came down and told me I should go or not, but it sure felt that way. I tried to roll on the throttle like I had read above. The car hooked up pretty well and it felt really strong. I couldn't see the S-10 any more. I got through the first run and for the first time realized that I couldn't see what I had run until I got to the timing shack. When I got there, the S-10 guy was eating a pizza that he had obviously ordered before. Here are the numbers from the first run:

r/t .647
60' 2.109
330 5.555
1/8 8.356
MPH 87.27
1000 10.78
1/4 12.81
MPH 110.97

(The S-10 ran a 10.59 at 126 with a r/t of .0009)

Molasses quick off the line. After the race, my kids were really excited that I didn't wreck. A buddy of mine told me that the PA announcer really talked up my car and most people around them were making fun of me until the round was over. After the run was over, they were surprised at the time.

I was a little more coherent for the second run. I actually remembered to raise the suspension this time. However, I made two huge mistakes on the second run. First, I had a hard time turning off the traction control and then turning it back on for the burnout. That really messed me up. Then, I let a couple of yayhoos talk me into revving the car up to 2000 rpm at the tree. As you guys told me, that didn't work at all. My reaction time was much better on the second run at .211, but as soon as I took off, the car felt like it was stuck in the mud. As soon as the ECU cleared its head, the car took off again, although losing much more traction this time. I ran a 13.22 at 111 on the second run. I won't make that mistake again.

All in all a good time. Because I got there so late and there were so many cars, I only got 2 runs in before I had to get the boys back to bed. I think I am going to try again in a couple of weeks. The how-to thread was a lifesaver and I will treat it like the Bible next time I run. I hope not to wear you guys out, but I will be asking more questions before my next run.

Last edited by Bullet Tooth; 03-31-2008 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by Bullet Tooth
After all my questions in the "how-to" sticky, you guys know that I have been wanting to run my car. r/t .64
60' 2.109
330 5.555
1/8 8.356
MPH 87.27
1000 10.78
1/4 12.81
MPH 110.97
All in all a good time. Because I got there so late and there were so many cars, I only got 2 runs in before I had to get the boys back to bed. I think I am going to try again in a couple of weeks. The how-to thread was a lifesaver and I will treat it like the Bible next time I run. I hope not to wear you guys out, but I will be asking more questions before my next run.
Hey there:

The bottom line is it sounds like you and your family had FUN. Okay, you didn't break any track records but SO WHAT.

Take a copy of the thread with you my friend, as there REALLY is some good advice in it. Relax and have FUN. NO ONE breaks any reocords their first time out, and for that matter who cares anyway. After all It is a test and tune night, keep that in mind.

In a word, "Practice, Practice, Practice"

See yeah

PS: I'll bet the Taurus didn't break 16 seconds
Old 03-31-2008, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
Good job!

I've been to a couple of different tracks on multiple occasions and have had nothing but positive experiences.

Someone in another thread recommended launching on the third light to improve reaction times. That is, the last yellow before the green.

I tried that and it and learned that I do better if I leave a fraction of a second earlier. That is, the second yellow lights up, I pause, then release the brake and roll into the throttle.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
We've ALL been there first time man.

Some tracks really want to punish us "rich guys" . Jerks at my track lined me up next to an 8.99 dragster.

Thought I was gonna soil myself when it came up in R's right next to me and launched.

Long as you are safe and had fun, you win.

I've said it many times, you run upper 12's and are outside kicking your car (knowing guys on here have run 11.9's stock) ......then look around and guys are bowing to worship a 2 ton luxury car that can pull that incredible time and life is good.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
After all my questions in the "how-to" sticky, you guys know that I have been wanting to run my car. There is a track about 30 minutes south of OKC, in Noble, Oklahoma. I wanted to go on Friday, but didn't think it was going to happen. Much to my surprise, the lovely wife urged me to go and take my two older boys with me. Which brings me to my first of many mistakes. Because I didn't believe I would be going, I filled my car up on Thursday. If that wasn't enough, I was in such a rush to leave once I got the go-ahead that I forgot to unload the crap in my trunk. I did have time to review the "how-to" sticky and that was about it. Full of gas. Check. AAU basketball team gear in trunk. Check.

The test and tune started at 6, but I didn't make it down there until 8:30. I was a nervous wreck from the time I paid to get in. I didn't want to be "that" guy. As I was paying I dropped the entire contents of my wallet under the seat. Good thing I brought the kids along. Their arms are much smaller and I sorta needed that drivers license. That guy. Check.

Got in and ran up the entry lanes, which were 9 lanes wide. There was a bracket race there this weekend, so every kind of car imaginable was there. From low 7 second dragsters to a stock 99 Ford Taurus and everything in between. Saw some really cool old Mustangs and a couple of late 60's Mopars.

As soon as I got there, they began to clean the track. I sat in the lanes for over 45 minutes without moving. Because I was the turd in the punchbowl with the e55, I had alot of guys that came up to me to talk about the car. Only one guy knew what it was. But, I can't stress enough how friendly every one was to me, at least to my face. I got tips from nearly everyone that came to talk to me (at least one of which I should have ignored.) Everyone told me that my r/t would be really slow the first time.

When we finally got moving, I did remember to do the ECU reset. The chick selecting the races pulled me into the left lane with a really loud S-10. There was about 10 inches in between his rear tires so I knew I was screwed. From then on, most of the first run is a blur. From what I can recall, I did avoid the water box, remembered to turn off the traction control, did my little quiet burnout next to the billowing inferno that was the S-10. I turned the traction control back on and crept up the pre-stage area. As this was at night, I couldn't see very well and I had no idea what I was doing, I think I probably took a little too long to pre-stage. I really, really didn't want to pre-stage and then stage before the S-10 was able to see around all the smoke, as I was told this was a huge faux-pas. I found the pre-stage and waited. The S-10 hit the first light and then the second pretty quickly. Like a little old lady after smoking a blunt, I edged up to the second light and finally found it. The next thing I knew, the tree started glowing and I realized the S-10 was halfway down the track. I don't remember whether someone out of the stands actually came down and told me I should go or not, but it sure felt that way. I tried to roll on the throttle like I had read above. The car hooked up pretty well and it felt really strong. I couldn't see the S-10 any more. I got through the first run and for the first time realized that I couldn't see what I had run until I got to the timing shack. When I got there, the S-10 guy was eating a pizza that he had obviously ordered before. Here are the numbers from the first run:

r/t .647
60' 2.109
330 5.555
1/8 8.356
MPH 87.27
1000 10.78
1/4 12.81
MPH 110.97

(The S-10 ran a 10.59 at 126 with a r/t of .0009)

Molasses quick off the line. After the race, my kids were really excited that I didn't wreck. A buddy of mine told me that the PA announcer really talked up my car and most people around them were making fun of me until the round was over. After the run was over, they were surprised at the time.

I was a little more coherent for the second run. I actually remembered to raise the suspension this time. However, I made two huge mistakes on the second run. First, I had a hard time turning off the traction control and then turning it back on for the burnout. That really messed me up. Then, I let a couple of yayhoos talk me into revving the car up to 2000 rpm at the tree. As you guys told me, that didn't work at all. My reaction time was much better on the second run at .211, but as soon as I took off, the car felt like it was stuck in the mud. As soon as the ECU cleared its head, the car took off again, although losing much more traction this time. I ran a 13.22 at 111 on the second run. I won't make that mistake again.

............This is one the few really genuine posts I have read in a long time. I enjoyed it. Wellcome to the club. Soon you will be posting tips on how to race.

Ted
Old 04-02-2008, 01:46 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
............This is one the few really genuine posts I have read in a long time. I enjoyed it. Wellcome to the club. Soon you will be posting tips on how to race.

Ted
+1

Sounds like you had fun.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts
AMG
Great write up....

Reminds me of the time the first large pack of AMGs ventured down to the drags in Middle Georgia. The announcer kept saying "Hey, you don't want to meet one of these MURR-SAY-DEES on the highway" lol...

....that as one of the gang in a modded C55/Kleemann clicked off 11.54.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:22 AM
Banned

'05 C55(sold)'05 E55(sold)'06 911C4S(sold)'06 ML350 '06 CLS55(sold),buncha slo bikes
Sounds like you accomplished your mission: You had fun!
I've been bikes/cars since the late 80's;I still get butterfly's in my stomach the 1st time I line up at a new track lol.

Keep practicing,you will find dragracing is very addictive
Old 04-02-2008, 02:11 PM
Almost a Member!

04 e55
Originally Posted by jmf003
Good job!

I've been to a couple of different tracks on multiple occasions and have had nothing but positive experiences.

Someone in another thread recommended launching on the third light to improve reaction times. That is, the last yellow before the green.

I tried that and it and learned that I do better if I leave a fraction of a second earlier. That is, the second yellow lights up, I pause, then release the brake and roll into the throttle.
The sad part is that I did try to launch on the 3rd yellow. Even with that tip, it is a suprise I am not still sitting there.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Nice write. I enjoyed reading it.

I've got to get myself to the track one of these days...
Old 04-02-2008, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
I'm glad you had fun, and believe me...... the more you go, the more you'll like it..... it's very addicting

Next time, try to go early and experiment with all kinds of settings. Do your own analysis: try lowered suspension, raised suspension, sport setting, comfort, ESP on, ESP off, different tires, different filters, etc....

You'll learn a lot about the car during each visit, and you'll keep improving each time. You should upload your time to dragtimes.com, and after each visit, you'll see yourself climbing up the list

How was the track prep and weather conditions?
Old 04-02-2008, 04:09 PM
Almost a Member!

04 e55
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
I'm glad you had fun, and believe me...... the more you go, the more you'll like it..... it's very addicting

Next time, try to go early and experiment with all kinds of settings. Do your own analysis: try lowered suspension, raised suspension, sport setting, comfort, ESP on, ESP off, different tires, different filters, etc....

You'll learn a lot about the car during each visit, and you'll keep improving each time. You should upload your time to dragtimes.com, and after each visit, you'll see yourself climbing up the list

How was the track prep and weather conditions?
The weather was almost perfect. There was very little wind (<10 mph) and about 55 degrees. I don't know enough to comment about the track. One of the guys that talked to me before the race told me that it was an awful track. He said the strip in Tulsa is much better and he also said that another track is being built just north of OKC for NHRA events. He complained alot about the track, but I really don't know. I lost a bit of traction on the first run and spun a ton on the second. I think the second run was more my fault for trying to launch at 2000 rpm. It didn't work at all.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:15 PM

'08 E63, '08 ML350
Ha ha, very entertaining read. Thanks.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:27 PM
Banned

'05 C55(sold)'05 E55(sold)'06 911C4S(sold)'06 ML350 '06 CLS55(sold),buncha slo bikes
I lost a bit of traction on the first run and spun a ton on the second. I think the second run was more my fault for trying to launch at 2000 rpm. It didn't work at all.
Launching an E55 at 2000rpm is a mistake IMO unless your very familiar with your car.2000rpm puts you leaving the line with 500+ft/lb of torque;thats excellent if you have traction&can actually apply all 500ft/lbs,but a sure fire way to blow the tires away&have a terrible 60' time.

Next time you go,try the first few runs with the ESP "on".If the car hooks&the ESP doesn't bog the car down(the light may still flash on&off as the car fights for traction but as long as in doesn't cut the gas it's ok) should then try a few runs with the ESP disabled.

E55's are very hard to launch if traction is less then 100%;they just have tremendous power off idle
Old 04-02-2008, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E55
The bestime to make a pass is when the track has Super Gas cars or faster running. They have to prep and spray the track good for faster cars which helps our cars a lot. If its just a test and tune night for street cars they usually only spray the concrete launch pad..traction compound is not cheap !
Old 04-02-2008, 10:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by vader
The bestime to make a pass is when the track has Super Gas cars or faster running. They have to prep and spray the track good for faster cars which helps our cars a lot. If its just a test and tune night for street cars they usually only spray the concrete launch pad..traction compound is not cheap !
Yeah +1000

They lay down a nice rubber patch when they launch,try & line up right after them&get in their groove.
The last few times I did test&tune it was a waste.My car was still spining when it shifted into 3rd gear.I may have to get a set of D/R's
Old 04-03-2008, 10:01 AM
Almost a Member!

04 e55
Originally Posted by oldgixxer
Launching an E55 at 2000rpm is a mistake IMO unless your very familiar with your car.2000rpm puts you leaving the line with 500+ft/lb of torque;thats excellent if you have traction&can actually apply all 500ft/lbs,but a sure fire way to blow the tires away&have a terrible 60' time.

Next time you go,try the first few runs with the ESP "on".If the car hooks&the ESP doesn't bog the car down(the light may still flash on&off as the car fights for traction but as long as in doesn't cut the gas it's ok) should then try a few runs with the ESP disabled.

E55's are very hard to launch if traction is less then 100%;they just have tremendous power off idle
Thank you for the information. I did both launches with ESP on. The second run, where I revved it up a bit, the car did act like the gas was cut. As soon as I took off, it completely bogged down. It will be off idle from now on or until I get better.

I guess I haven't asked, what should I be expecting? Is 12.5 a reasonable goal? I see some of the passes made by you and enzom, but I am not trying to compete with that. I don't have a feel for what the "average" e55 will do.

My baseline goal on the first time out was to beat 13 and I did that. My "skybox" goal was to beat 12.5 and I obviously failed on that.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:31 AM
Banned

Thank you for the information. I did both launches with ESP on. The second run, where I revved it up a bit, the car did act like the gas was cut. As soon as I took off, it completely bogged down. It will be off idle from now on or until I get better.

I guess I haven't asked, what should I be expecting? Is 12.5 a reasonable goal? I see some of the passes made by you and enzom, but I am not trying to compete with that. I don't have a feel for what the "average" e55 will do.

My baseline goal on the first time out was to beat 13 and I did that. My "skybox" goal was to beat 12.5 and I obviously failed on that.
With the right conditions&traction you can expect 12.0-12.5 easily

I know Enzom keeps his ESP on,however I launch with mine off
Old 04-03-2008, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030

Great Post man.

Great times, cool that you included the Boys.

I would say for your elevation and as it heats up you may actually be hard pressed to hit low 12's . I would think 12.4-12.7 @111-113 is something to shoot for. Also you can really ignore alot of the data but you will know when you as a driver has improved when your r/t is .0X and your 60ft times are consistant.(1.75-1.99) as a goal.

I have made maybe 1100 or so passes in my car and still get nervous and make similar mistakes. I recently drove up to the starting line with my coolent cap off. As I spun the tires 1 or so gallons of coolant blasted out of the car and smoke was coming out of the engine. Announcer and hundreds of watchers gasp, "well thats a one reason not to bring a hundred thousand dollar luxo sedan to the dragstrip" He proceeded to make comments, thinking I had blown the engine. Few hours later I beat a modded EVO and the crowd called me "Evo killer" LOL. Everytime you line up potential for mistakes is heavy. This sport takes tremendous prep and concentration , and yes it is very dangerous. Be safe, have fun, Great first time out !!
Old 04-03-2008, 12:09 PM
Almost a Member!

04 e55
Originally Posted by juicee63
Great Post man.

Great times, cool that you included the Boys.

I would say for your elevation and as it heats up you may actually be hard pressed to hit low 12's . I would think 12.4-12.7 @111-113 is something to shoot for. Also you can really ignore alot of the data but you will know when you as a driver has improved when your r/t is .0X and your 60ft times are consistant.(1.75-1.99) as a goal.

I have made maybe 1100 or so passes in my car and still get nervous and make similar mistakes. I recently drove up to the starting line with my coolent cap off. As I spun the tires 1 or so gallons of coolant blasted out of the car and smoke was coming out of the engine. Announcer and hundreds of watchers gasp, "well thats a one reason not to bring a hundred thousand dollar luxo sedan to the dragstrip" He proceeded to make comments, thinking I had blown the engine. Few hours later I beat a modded EVO and the crowd called me "Evo killer" LOL. Everytime you line up potential for mistakes is heavy. This sport takes tremendous prep and concentration , and yes it is very dangerous. Be safe, have fun, Great first time out !!
Thanks juicee. It sounds as if my car is about average, as I did achieve a trap speed of 111 on both runs. I was trying to decipher from only two runs whether it was me or the car that didn't perform well. Unfortunately, I think you answered that question.

My 60' times were awful compared to those goals and I would automatically be in the 12.2-12.7 range with decent 60' times. My first 60' time was 2.1, my second was a horrific 2.479. I am giving up a quarter to half of a second in the first 60 feet.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
Thanks juicee. It sounds as if my car is about average, as I did achieve a trap speed of 111 on both runs. I was trying to decipher from only two runs whether it was me or the car that didn't perform well. Unfortunately, I think you answered that question.

My 60' times were awful compared to those goals and I would automatically be in the 12.2-12.7 range with decent 60' times. My first 60' time was 2.1, my second was a horrific 2.479. I am giving up a quarter to half of a second in the first 60 feet.

Yes , exactly correct.

The 60 ft is where the run is made. 2.1 is not bad, and it got you a 12.8 which is also decent for a stock E55. Remember your track prep also sounded "not great" sometimes no matter wat you do the car will not hook. 2.4 is definately "not hooking" .

Tulsa is 600 plus feet above sea level, any idea what the track you ran at is at that would help determine better what the DA was.

fun stuff,
Old 04-04-2008, 11:35 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
I did my first run ever after work today during a Test-n-Tune session and my results weren't so hot. I had fun and will definitely go back for more practice but maybe to a different track because the traction was awful. I couldn't get the car to really hook and traction control light was reminding me often. The water box consisted of a guy with a garden hose so driving around wasn't possible. I need lots more practice but here's the results..... Thoughts?

Run One
R/T 1.283
60' 2.244
330 .000 (not sure why it didn't register)
1/8 8.260
MPH 92.51
1000 10.535
1/4 12.447
MPH 118.71

Run Two
R/T .865
60' 2.176
330 5.557
1/8 8.254
MPH 90.91
1000 10.562
1/4 12.491
MPH 117.83

Car has Evo headers, 80mm TB, 168mm pulley, phenolic spacers, Quaife, EE tune, Quaife, and secondary heat exchanger.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Your 60 is the key. Try a lower tire pressure in the rears. I think once your car hooks and you get a 1.6-1.8, 60' you will see 11.80s easy, if not better. I think for first runs you did a great job.
Old 04-05-2008, 01:08 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Yacht Master
Your 60 is the key. Try a lower tire pressure in the rears. I think once your car hooks and you get a 1.6-1.8, 60' you will see 11.80s easy, if not better. I think for first runs you did a great job.
Good point. TPMS showed my tires at 40psi....oops.
Old 04-05-2008, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by BrianS
Good point. TPMS showed my tires at 40psi....oops.
yeah your car has great trap speeds, a clean run should have you in the 11.70's.

Your car is making power it just needs to get the power to the ground better, definately go down to 24-28 lbs in the rear and 48-50 lbs in the front.

LOL, rolling right to the track after worki, that is classic!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: First track experience (long)