Sponsored by:

Johnson CM30 Question...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 12:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Mercedes G55 AMG
Johnson CM30 Question...

Is it hard to install? I wanted to do it myself. Anybody has instructions? How long does it take? Any input will be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-02-2008, 12:39 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
The 30 is easy to install, but make sure you are ready for a replacment. i am not a fan of teh 30, except that it has more run hours in it than the Bosch one. Flow rates are very similar.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:03 AM

2005 Mercedes G55 AMG
Originally Posted by jangy
The 30 is easy to install, but make sure you are ready for a replacment. i am not a fan of teh 30, except that it has more run hours in it than the Bosch one. Flow rates are very similar.
The Bosch one I have is bad, I don't know why, but after 4 bursts, my supercharger is off And I have a stock pulley... So I was thinking of upgrading to CM30... The G55 I drove has the Bosch pump, and somehow it never fails, no matter how I abuse it.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:16 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Sounds like it is your pump. My Bosch has never failed me, but MB changed models and programming code to help spare it.

In your case, I'd go ahead and get the CM30. I assume you are out of warranty? If not, get the bosch again.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Did some searching for ya....found a basic install prodecure.

Doesn't look too awful hard.

It is located on the front of the passenger side ofthe car right next to the radiator....

It is very easy to access. Put the car up on ramps or even jack it up and secure it. there is a large black plastic piece that covers the bottom front of the car. You will need to remove the screws holding this up(you can leave the ones on the driver side on as it will drop enough for you to get to the pump.)

Once it is down, you will see the pump, it is the size of a soda can(bigger than your CM30) and has two hoses and one small wiring harness. the hoses will bolt directly up to the CM30, to install the wires, just crimp or cut the stock and attach the red to red and brown to black on the CM30. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me and I gladly will walk you through the install.

ALSO......HERE IS BRIAN S's install of the CM30. He also added the exchanger which you need very soon. For now, very good that you are adding more cooling power. Just use Brians post for pics!!! His install cuts hoses etc for heat exchanger. You are just basically plug and play.

CM 30 install.

Promise, not being smart a-$$ when I say this. Search feature works killer on this site as many of these question have been asked and answered dozens of times. Just some handy info for ya for future stuff. As always though, we're here if you need us. Good luck with the install.

Last edited by Jakpro1; 05-02-2008 at 10:54 AM.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:28 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 E63, Cobra replica, 68 Camaro, 66 Chevy II SS, Z4 BMW, Honda Element, Birel 125cc Shifter Kart.
The Johnson is pretty easy to install and I believe somewhere in the archives someone posted a step by step with pics.

I put one on my '06' because I thought I was experiencing an intermitent failure with the Bosch. Evidently I wasn't because I noticed no difference in the way my car ran with the Johnson.

When I took my car to the dealer for some minor service, they discovered the Johnson pump and threatened to cancel my warranty. Needless to say, I have since removed the Johnson and put the Bosch back in.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:03 PM

2005 Mercedes G55 AMG
Jangy: I still have my warranty, so after reading the last response by speedpeddler and his warranty incident, I might just get the dealer to install another Bosch....

Jackpro, thanks a lot for all that info Seems to be pretty easy. I know I should have used the search button, thought about it after I already posted this thread Thanks again!

Speedpeddler, I can't believe that they threatened to cancel your warranty
On the other note, you did felt NO difference at all in Bosch vs Johnson?

Again, thanks for all your help guys!
Old 05-02-2008, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
You honestly should not feel a difference guys, all the Johnson is going to do is bring those IAT's down faster than stock pump. Only thing that should happen is reduced supercharger shutoff. Still will happen on warmer day until you get the extra exchanger and separate the systems, then it will only give you grief after hard hard use.

If buy "no difference" you meant after a few stomps, the pumps was shut off again, than different story.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:15 PM

2005 Mercedes G55 AMG
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
You honestly should not feel a difference guys, all the Johnson is going to do is bring those IAT's down faster than stock pump. Only thing that should happen is reduced supercharger shutoff. Still will happen on warmer day until you get the extra exchanger and separate the systems, then it will only give you grief after hard hard use.

If buy "no difference" you meant after a few stomps, the pumps was shut off again, than different story.
I meant like in regards to responsiveness... When my car gets hot, it feels really sluggish, I have to apply more force to accelerate, but once I stomp on it, it goes. I figured it was heat soak, and this usually happens under hot sun in moderate to heavy traffic. In light traffic, it feels fine and in the morning, the car runs effortlessly. I was thinking that cooling mods will help me get heat soak under control, and I was wondering if that will help me with the lack of responsiveness that I experience at times...

PLUS, even when the car feels sluggish, I always check if I can hear the S/C working, and it is...
Old 05-02-2008, 01:15 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by ATKM5
Jangy: I still have my warranty, so after reading the last response by speedpeddler and his warranty incident, I might just get the dealer to install another Bosch....

Jackpro, thanks a lot for all that info Seems to be pretty easy. I know I should have used the search button, thought about it after I already posted this thread Thanks again!

Speedpeddler, I can't believe that they threatened to cancel your warranty
On the other note, you did felt NO difference at all in Bosch vs Johnson?

Again, thanks for all your help guys!
Absolutely, bro. Take it in. Don't mod what can be warrantied UNTIL it is repaired, just to prove that the phases are tight. In your case, be sure to know how to re-create the effect and explain that well. You may need to demonstrate it for them if they can not reproduce it. But, after it is hit they will likely replace the pump. If the issue continues, they will replace the SC clutch to the "newer" version.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:23 PM

2005 Mercedes G55 AMG
Originally Posted by jangy
Absolutely, bro. Take it in. Don't mod what can be warrantied UNTIL it is repaired, just to prove that the phases are tight. In your case, be sure to know how to re-create the effect and explain that well. You may need to demonstrate it for them if they can not reproduce it. But, after it is hit they will likely replace the pump. If the issue continues, they will replace the SC clutch to the "newer" version.
I can definitely reproduce it, I called them this morning and scheduled a test drive with my mechanic next week, so he will see what I'm talking about. Last time, they said they replaced the pump, however they were unable to reproduce anything during their test drive. Maybe If I annoy they enough they will swap my pulley with the 07 SL55 pulley like they did for W211 Beast, lol

EDIT: I just read that they replaced the supercharger pulley and not the crank pulley, in any case I want smoothness too.

Last edited by ATKM5; 05-02-2008 at 01:26 PM.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by ATKM5
I can definitely reproduce it, I called them this morning and scheduled a test drive with my mechanic next week, so he will see what I'm talking about. Last time, they said they replaced the pump, however they were unable to reproduce anything during their test drive. Maybe If I annoy they enough they will swap my pulley with the 07 SL55 pulley like they did for W211 Beast, lol

EDIT: I just read that they replaced the supercharger pulley and not the crank pulley, in any case I want smoothness too.
it is the sc clutch pack.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG E55, Stage 1, Strait Pipe from Primary Cats
Originally Posted by Jakpro1

Hey Jack, My guy said that I only needed the johnson if I was going to mod. I had the update SCP done and it is night and day smoother then before, I highly recommend the SCP update.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:19 AM

2005 SL55 AMG, 1986 Porsche 930S, 1996 Porsche 993tt
Johnson CM30 for $145 with shipping.

http://apeusa.com/?jabsco
Old 11-18-2008, 01:28 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
After taking a part a few CM30`s and understanding the potential restrictions of our systems and pumps; I would stay away from the cm30.. This is just my opinion.. I would use the newer heavy duty bosch pumps (about 30 bucks less).. They bolt right up and do a better job flowing under load per the specs. The Cm30 still has to be rigged to fit in the same stock brackets (lot smaller dia.) and the bosch does not.. The inlet side of the Cm30 is about 40% blocked by a bearing support bracket and creates a flow disadvantage verses other pumps..

If you plan to go with all the bolt ons and larger HE style system, you may want to go with a larger pump , so you have room to grow.

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 11-19-2008, 10:22 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
Exoticmetal55
What is the model number for the bosch pump and where can I get it from. I am going to use your knowledge and get the bosch heavy duty pump instead of the cm30
Old 11-19-2008, 02:40 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
I bought mine here but Ebay and other places may save you 15 bucks.. Just make sure the model number is the same.. This pump has been great for me..

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/produ...oducts_id=1001