Dyno with AA ECU

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 07:55 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
just qurious what model year your car is, and have u tried ecu rest trick...+ dyno the car in dyno mode?
Old 05-09-2008, 08:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E 55
Originally Posted by Fikse
just looks too rich at the top end..... can AA tune you car on the dyno? renntech was able to adjust my car while on the dyno and fine tune things, here are the latest graphs

pulley, ecu, heat exchanger
pulley, ecu, heat exchanger + headers
He has one of the flashes that was originally tuned on the dyno, my afr's were never that rich.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:49 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
I am learning more and more how powerful the tunes can be on these cars. Not exactly to unlock magical HP, but to hurt the potential for the car making hp that it rightly has inside.

Really hard to judge the tune from a dyno. Would need timing graphs etc to really see what is happening Hamann.

Wish it was easier to try different tunes. Would be REALLY cool to pop on a VRP or Kleemann and see if the car instantly perked up.

Keep us posted.
AMEN!!

The dyno just shows part of what we get. One thing to notice is that the VRP tunes are more linear in power delivery and don't die off at 6K like most.

Two things of note. For the OP, look into the datalogger and see if you can compare boost to your curves.I still think you have the ECU dumping fuel at 12+ psi. To the RennTech tune. All looks good to me. The question I would have is how safe a tune is that , considering how lean it looks?
Old 05-09-2008, 09:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E 55
Originally Posted by jangy
AMEN!!

The dyno just shows part of what we get. One thing to notice is that the VRP tunes are more linear in power delivery and don't die off at 6K like most.

Two things of note. For the OP, look into the datalogger and see if you can compare boost to your curves.I still think you have the ECU dumping fuel at 12+ psi. To the RennTech tune. All looks good to me. The question I would have is how safe a tune is that , considering how lean it looks?
That is the leanest I have ever seen and could just be the wide band afr monitor on the dyno. They are a pain in the butt sometimes, which is why I like to use two the dyno's an an innovative.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:21 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by rflow306
That is the leanest I have ever seen and could just be the wide band afr monitor on the dyno. They are a pain in the butt sometimes, which is why I like to use two the dyno's an an innovative.

No disrespect to anyone, but I have always had issues with RennTech tunes but attributed it to the issues that were going on with Adam and EVOTech and my own tuner (at the time). I guess all is well as long as MBUSA warranties it, right?
I would personally be pretty concerned running that lean, especially at the top end where the power is also dropping. Where is the gas going, then? If that stuff doesn't combust and sticks around, POW!!

To the post that mentioned that AA was not adding any effort, I would personally call my credit card company and pull the plug. There are a zillion excuses that lame tuners will make for why you see the exact issue you have. They will say that the cooling is failing at the top end or that the belt is slipping, or whatever. That is why you MUST datalogg to get the facts. What are the engine mechanics up to when these things happen? Where is the butterfly when the throttle is wide open?What is the boost when you start dumping fuel? The key to these tunes is in the engine management. If you don't get the system, then a tune will go blank because the ECU's "safety" limits will all kick in and negate anything you are trying to do.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 e55 wagon
Originally Posted by hamann69
AA isnt gonna help me out any further. I spoke to barry the tuner there and he insists this is how the tune is supposed to be.
Well that's really lame. These guys have been in business for a long time and certainly make reputable products for BMWs. I guess they are new to MB??

If they really want to sell products to MB owners, they should come on here and talk this over with us or give it up. Either that tune is not right, or your car is dumping fuel for some other reason at the top end ... either way, they should be willing to work with you on it based on those dyno results.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

STS,FGT,12C,P85D,M4
what AF do people aim for? between 12-13?
Old 05-09-2008, 12:17 PM

E63, SL 550 Sport,C63 Coupe On the Way!!
Why did you chose to use Active in the first place when they specialize in BMW tuning? I dont see any details of AMG offerings from them on their site.

Hope you can work things out with them.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:08 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
what AF do people aim for? between 12-13?
I like 12.2 - 12.5 for safe power (pre-cat). This is equal to about 12.7-13.0 tailpipe reading.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:15 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
AA is a very good company and they were actually the ones that were helping me get a tune done for the MBs. Their programmer that was working with them is no longer there and someone else now is doing the programming so I am not sure whether or not the same files are being used.

I think something is wrong with the car but you can't be 100% positive it is the tune.. it could be belt slip or something else causing the ECU to dump fuel. That fuel dump at 5,000RPM is indicative of a belt slip issue from my experience. It can also be torque limiters.. the only way to verify that is to run a OBDII scanner and log Throttle position, RPM and boost. If it falls off to 12psi at 5,000RPM then you know its torque limiters.

Just to rule out all the other possibilities, spend $40 and get yourself a new belt and see if that cures it.. If not, talk to Karl (the owner) and see if they can have another look at the ECU.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:54 PM

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by vrus
AA is a very good company and they were actually the ones that were helping me get a tune done for the MBs. Their programmer that was working with them is no longer there and someone else now is doing the programming so I am not sure whether or not the same files are being used.

I think something is wrong with the car but you can't be 100% positive it is the tune.. it could be belt slip or something else causing the ECU to dump fuel. That fuel dump at 5,000RPM is indicative of a belt slip issue from my experience. It can also be torque limiters.. the only way to verify that is to run a OBDII scanner and log Throttle position, RPM and boost. If it falls off to 12psi at 5,000RPM then you know its torque limiters.

Just to rule out all the other possibilities, spend $40 and get yourself a new belt and see if that cures it.. If not, talk to Karl (the owner) and see if they can have another look at the ECU.
I already tryed putting on another belt and I didnt feel a differnce so I can rule that out. I also just had the IC pump and h/e temp checked via star and it checked out normal. Im gonna get a data logger and boost gague on the car later today and and get some info from that.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:02 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
If its not belt slip, then check these 2 things:

Datalog the Boost (MAP sensor) and timing.. Would be good to verify you are not getting any knock.. What fuel are you using?

I already tryed putting on another belt and I didnt feel a differnce so I can rule that out. I also just had the IC pump and h/e temp checked via star and it checked out normal. Im gonna get a data logger and boost gague on the car later today and and get some info from that.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:42 PM

E55 AMG
If its not belt slip, then check these 2 things:

Datalog the Boost (MAP sensor) and timing.. Would be good to verify you are not getting any knock.. What fuel are you using?
93 octane
Old 05-12-2008, 09:43 PM

E55 AMG
Update...Went back down to Active today and they changed some things in the ecu. At first they didnt take off the boost limiter/load limter fully because they didnt know that the car had the air pump recall flash done so that part of the tune went back to stock after a day of driving. Now they say its fully off. I dynoed the car again tonight but im still not happy with the power and AFR, something still isnt right. Here is the dyno. Im thinking about just getting my money back and going with the VRP tune at this point. I also want to thank Rflow306 for meeting me down there and helping me out.
Attached Thumbnails Dyno with AA ECU-dyno-4.jpg  

Last edited by hamann69; 05-12-2008 at 09:46 PM.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

STS,FGT,12C,P85D,M4
that's about what you should expect, although you are looking at STD power, most like to compare SAE...... going to run it thursday at the moroso rental?
Old 05-12-2008, 10:24 PM

E55 AMG
that's about what you should expect, although you are looking at STD power, most like to compare SAE...... going to run it thursday at the moroso rental?
Well my car made 426whp stock so only 20whp gain is not right it should be at least 40whp over stock. Also the AFR isnt supposed to go rich how it is. Here is the vrp dyno with pulley/ecu so you guys can compare. I dont think im gonna be there this Thursday its pretty hot out.
Attached Thumbnails Dyno with AA ECU-vrp_55_pulley_1_lrg.jpg  
Old 05-12-2008, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E 55
Well my car made 426whp stock so only 20whp gain is not right it should be at least 40whp over stock. Also the AFR isnt supposed to go rich how it is. Here is the vrp dyno with pulley/ecu so you guys can compare. I dont think im gonna be there this Thursday its pretty hot out.
You need to also address the iat's, 160+ temps are not conducive to making good power.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:11 PM

E320
Your numbers look pretty dead on compared to other cars we have done. You also assured AA that you did not have the newest recall. Luckily Rflow was able to help you figure that out. The intake air temp needs to be addressed as well.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:15 PM

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by rflow306
You need to also address the iat's, 160+ temps are not conducive to making good power.
So do you think its the high iat's causing the car to go rich? If so ill have the collant system split and dyno again.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:17 PM

E320

Correct except for the part with our programmer leaving. The files being used have not changed either. As far as the pulley install and belt issue we did not do the install so I am not sure if it is slipping. We were able to verify that the car had the latest flash (Thanks Rflow) and made the proper adjustments to get around that. Customers car runs great on the street and similiar to most "55" cars it makes good power running rich. Granted this car may be a bit too rich according to the dyno but the dyno itself looks dead on compared to others we have done.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:18 PM

E320
So do you think its the high iat's causing the car to go rich? If so ill have the collant system split and dyno again.
Remember to make sure it is done properly. You need to have the entire car looked over and go from there.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:35 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
hmmm what temps are we talking here?
This guy allready has cooling mods
Old 05-13-2008, 07:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
new balance
Originally Posted by Zod
they saw over 160F which is enough for the DME to start dumping fuel. This vehicle has cooling mods, but he neglected to do the most important basic one, and that is to separate the two systems.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:22 AM

E320
Originally Posted by E55JAY
they saw over 160F which is enough for the DME to start dumping fuel. This vehicle has cooling mods, but he neglected to do the most important basic one, and that is to separate the two systems.
Thanks for the clarification.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:30 PM

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Zod
It was also 95 degrees outside.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dyno with AA ECU