Sponsored by:

Please help me with purchase dilema..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lexus LS
Please help me with purchase dilema..

Hello everyone...new to the forums and this is actually my first post. Like many of you, I am a car enthusiast. Have owned mostly porsches, last one being an '02 996 C2. I have been diligently looking for an '04 and up e55. Finally got to test drive an '06 at my local dealership just 2 days ago.

I really liked the car but I thought the transmission was so jerky when it shifted. Is this normal for this car? Just didn't expect it for a car of this caliber...?maybe it was me?...the dealer told me that it has an adaptive transmission that would eventually try to learn my driving style. The other thing that I noticed was a shimmy in the steering wheel at low speeds and when I would break....not a lot but enough to notice.

The car is an '06 with a lot of options selling for 53k. It has about 15k miles on it and it is a CPO car. I love the look of the e55 but driving this one gave me some hesitations about buying it. Need your help guys. BTW, I am in the Washington DC/Alexandria area. If there is an e55 enthusiast around here that I can talk to or perhaps even accompany me back to the dealership to help with some input I would greatly appreciate it....I'll even buy lunch..
Old 05-10-2008, 10:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55
Neither the transmission jerk or the steering shake are normal.
If the transmission has been 'reset' it might change a bit agreesively till it 'learns' your driving style.
Ask if you can loan it for a day aand go for a long drive. Point out your concerns to the salesman so they can check the car before you next drive it.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 BEAST
Ya, those problems arent normal, but depending on what options the car has, with that many miles it seems like a really good price. Color combo? Options?
Old 05-10-2008, 11:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Originally Posted by nsxr
Hello everyone...new to the forums and this is actually my first post. Like many of you, I am a car enthusiast. Have owned mostly porsches, last one being an '02 996 C2. I have been diligently looking for an '04 and up e55. Finally got to test drive an '06 at my local dealership just 2 days ago.

I really liked the car but I thought the transmission was so jerky when it shifted. Is this normal for this car? Just didn't expect it for a car of this caliber...?maybe it was me?...the dealer told me that it has an adaptive transmission that would eventually try to learn my driving style. The other thing that I noticed was a shimmy in the steering wheel at low speeds and when I would break....not a lot but enough to notice.

The car is an '06 with a lot of options selling for 53k. It has about 15k miles on it and it is a CPO car. I love the look of the e55 but driving this one gave me some hesitations about buying it. Need your help guys. BTW, I am in the Washington DC/Alexandria area. If there is an e55 enthusiast around here that I can talk to or perhaps even accompany me back to the dealership to help with some input I would greatly appreciate it....I'll even buy lunch..
You may have been feeling the supercharger and not the transmission. The supercharger is not "always on" and has two means of engagement one is an electromechanical clutch and the other is a large bypass valve. The supercharger is controlled by the ECU and engages and disengages as required.
The transmission has 3 settings and is adaptive in nature (takes at least 40 shifts for it to start to learn your particular style, The settings are "M" manual (takes time to learn down shifts on this one) "S" sport most aggressive automatic mode holds gears longer, shifts quicker then "C" comfort starts in second and shifts like butter (but you will still feel the SC).
Shimmy could be flat spots from sitting on lot too long, and all W211s have the slightest pull to right.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:12 AM

Lexus LS
Originally Posted by W211 BEAST
Ya, those problems arent normal, but depending on what options the car has, with that many miles it seems like a really good price. Color combo? Options?
The car was listed at 58K but when I went to the dealership they told me they would let it go for 53K. The color is black opal...with a black interior. Comes with pano roof, power trunk closer (don't know if this is an option), power rear sunshade. Car is very clean but not really my first choice in color. O would have wanted something lighter like silver, white or gray.

Anyway, I do appreciate the input fellas.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:19 AM

Lexus LS
Originally Posted by Yacht Master
You may have been feeling the supercharger and not the transmission. The supercharger is not "always on" and has two means of engagement one is an electromechanical clutch and the other is a large bypass valve. The supercharger is controlled by the ECU and engages and disengages as required.
The transmission has 3 settings and is adaptive in nature (takes at least 40 shifts for it to start to learn your particular style, The settings are "M" manual (takes time to learn down shifts on this one) "S" sport most aggressive automatic mode holds gears longer, shifts quicker then "C" comfort starts in second and shifts like butter (but you will still feel the SC).
Shimmy could be flat spots from sitting on lot too long, and all W211s have the slightest pull to right.
All W211's have the slightest pull to the right? Thanks for the input BTW. Im sure the car probably has been on the lot for a while especially in this market. You may be right about the flat spots.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:57 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
the shimmy isn't normal and I'd worry more about warped rotors. the pedal has NO feel, so you would only get that feedback from the wheel or seats.

The flat spotting is possible, but it makes them more loud than adding a shimmer.

If it quacks like a duck and swims like one, it may just be. I' follow your gut instincts. If it felt wierd, it may be.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:07 PM

Lexus LS
Thanks for the input , Jangy. Maybe I need to shop around some more to get a better feel for the car. Unfortunately there are not a lot of choices/cars around and I really don't have a lot of time to travel to check some that are out of town. Oh well, guess I'll just wait around for the right one to come along.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:13 PM

10 Cayenne GTS, 07 Porsche 911 Turbo
My 05 shifts perfectly and I very seldom notice it. I usually drive it in sport mode which is the recommended setting for around town. Did you try both settings "comfort and sport"? BTW, black opal is a -itch to maintain; I'm constantly washing my CLK55. Given a choice I would look for a much lighter color car (e.g., brillant silver or white) , especially in the NVA/DC area and driving environment. I speak from experience!

Last edited by LOVEMYBS; 05-11-2008 at 02:20 PM.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:17 PM

Lexus LS
Originally Posted by 4ociousE55
My 05 shifts perfectly and I very seldom notice it. I usually drive it in sport mode which is the recommended setting for around town. Did you try both settings "comfort and sport"? BTW, black opal is a -itch to maintain; I'm constantly washing my CLK55. Given a choice I would look for a much lighter color car (e.g., brillant silver or white) , especially in the NVA/DC area and driving environment. I speak from experience!
Yes, the black would be hard to keep up with. I've had several of them in the past. I did try both modes but I guess not long enough to really get a good feel for it. I basically just drove the car for about 20 minutes. I know now that it should have been a longer drive. I just hate having to go back to the dealer as they can be a bit pushy. Anyway, may need to just look around for a lighter color car so I don't regret it later on. Thanks for the input.
Old 05-11-2008, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 then E63, now back to an E55
Black opal is blue??
Old 05-11-2008, 05:30 PM

10 Cayenne GTS, 07 Porsche 911 Turbo
Yes, black opal is a very dark blue.
Old 05-11-2008, 05:31 PM

Lexus LS
Originally Posted by jpohl402
Black opal is blue??
It does look like a very deep dark blue. This was my first comment at dealer when I saw the car. I thought it was a very dark blue. They told me it was black opal.
Old 05-11-2008, 05:33 PM

Lexus LS
Guys, any experience with the used MB dealership in Arlington? This is where the car is located.
Old 05-11-2008, 05:34 PM

Lexus LS
I mean Arlington, VA BTW
Old 05-11-2008, 10:16 PM

2005 E55, Renntech Pulley, ECU
My '05 shifts like silk. Never rough. Some of this is that the transmission is adaptable and may have bad temporary settings due to the previous driver. Easily reset in five seconds and then it'll learn the way you drive and shift smoother (if you manage the throttle right and let it shift smoothly).

I was in two hours of stop-and-go traffic yesterday and was marveling at the fact that an 11 second car can lug along in hot nightmare traffic in complete comfort, ice-cold a/c, and a supple suspension. I would NOT have wanted to do that drive in a 911 of any model, nor an m5 even.

You should NOT have any shimmy, nor pull on braking. NFW. Of course, if you are CPO'd, then go for it and beat 'em up on service afterwards. It is a good price, especially for a CPO car!

You won't regret owning an E55, they are uniquely appealing cars with CRUSHING torque. I smile every day I drive mine. EVERY DAY.

Skeeter
Old 05-11-2008, 10:51 PM

Lexus LS
Originally Posted by Skeeter
My '05 shifts like silk. Never rough. Some of this is that the transmission is adaptable and may have bad temporary settings due to the previous driver. Easily reset in five seconds and then it'll learn the way you drive and shift smoother (if you manage the throttle right and let it shift smoothly).

I was in two hours of stop-and-go traffic yesterday and was marveling at the fact that an 11 second car can lug along in hot nightmare traffic in complete comfort, ice-cold a/c, and a supple suspension. I would NOT have wanted to do that drive in a 911 of any model, nor an m5 even.

You should NOT have any shimmy, nor pull on braking. NFW. Of course, if you are CPO'd, then go for it and beat 'em up on service afterwards. It is a good price, especially for a CPO car!

You won't regret owning an E55, they are uniquely appealing cars with CRUSHING torque. I smile every day I drive mine. EVERY DAY.

Skeeter
Thanks for the input skeeter. How do you reset the transmission BTW? The more I read the posts, the more I am itching to get one. I just think I need to drive a few more to really know what to look for.