W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Argh! Headlight tab broke, queston for all...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55
Argh! Headlight tab broke, queston for all...

So, the top headlight tab on my driverside headlamp broke, and of course the light pattern is all out of whack now. I have a couple of questions:

1. The dealer says they cant warranty it since they dont know how it happened, saying someone could have 'bumped' into it. (My car has no scratches, never mind that its never been hit.) So has anyone dealt with this before?

2. What is the part number for the bi-xenon driver-side headlamp? Im looking on ebay for a replacement that isnt 1800 dollar

3. (hoping for lucky here) Anyone got a bi-xenon driver-side assembly they want to sell?

The help is appreciated, I want my car back from the stealer.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:33 AM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
SL600
These things don't just break by themselves...

Were you noticing any kind of a problem before you had the dealer work on it? They may have broken it and are trying to pawn it off on you.

Other than that, if you can't get it covered under warranty, then make an insurance claim.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E55, 2004 E55(sold), 2001 Viper GTS, 2006 Viper VOI9, 1994 ZR-1 Corvette 2009 Viper ACR,
Originally Posted by CWW
These things don't just break by themselves...

Were you noticing any kind of a problem before you had the dealer work on it? They may have broken it and are trying to pawn it off on you.

Other than that, if you can't get it covered under warranty, then make an insurance claim.
I agree. you had to have hit something, or maybe your car got bumped in a parking lot.. But I wouldnt make an insurance claim for it.

I went through this on my last (black) E55... you can find them on Ebay for close to, or less what your deductable probably is.. And with the W211 body being 5 years old now. Im sure salvage yards have a ton of like new lights.

Luckily, mine had a very clean break.. So, what I did was. Epoxied the "tab" back on. Masked the area, And just lightly painted that area with flat black. If I popped my hood and didnt point it out to you. You would never see it..

Last edited by Taximan1; 05-15-2008 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:50 PM

2005 E55
Thanks for the info, I might try Taximan1's advice and see if some epoxy would help, its a fairly clean break. On the other hand I found a replacement light from a wrecked car (right/passenger side) so the driver's side is in good shape. We'll see what comes of it, I have to go by the stealer tomorrow morning.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:10 PM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
SL600
Originally Posted by SinbadJMU
Thanks for the info, I might try Taximan1's advice and see if some epoxy would help, its a fairly clean break. On the other hand I found a replacement light from a wrecked car (right/passenger side) so the driver's side is in good shape. We'll see what comes of it, I have to go by the stealer tomorrow morning.
Ya, I agree with him too, now that I think about it...

No sense in making an insurance claim that they'll just raise your rates and make back in a year, meanwhile you still have to pay the higher rate for awhile. Insurance companies suck.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:05 PM

2005 E55
Thanks all...

Well I am going to try the epoxy fix first. I bought a LH headlamp off of ebay off of a 2006 E55, it should be here next week, just incase I cant get the lights to lineup properly. Got lucky and got the replacement for about 325 bucks plus shipping, a WHOLE TON cheaper than the dealership wanted! Thanks again for the advice we'll see how it goes. Anyone replaced a headlamp themselves? Ive heard you have to remove the front bumper.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Well I am going to try the epoxy fix first. I bought a LH headlamp off of ebay off of a 2006 E55, it should be here next week, just incase I cant get the lights to lineup properly. Got lucky and got the replacement for about 325 bucks plus shipping, a WHOLE TON cheaper than the dealership wanted! Thanks again for the advice we'll see how it goes. Anyone replaced a headlamp themselves? Ive heard you have to remove the front bumper.

Yes the front bumper Must be removed to replace the headlight
Old 05-17-2008, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Here is some help with the bumper.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...hlight=bixenon