Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 08:59 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w211 E55
North America's fastest production cars

http://www.autofacts.ca/classics/fast.htm

I'm posting this to see what everyone thinks of it. I went from a heavily modded (650rwhp @~3800lb) 03 svt cobra to an 04 E55 AMG for my daily driver. I knew the cobra was old but when I walked a new C6 Z06 and a few 911 turbo's, it was really hard for me to get rid of it. I kept my AMG for about 4 months. I was dissapointed in the electronics and the small quirks in the car. It had many small nuances that just pissed me off for an AMG. cupholder stuck, third brake light out, rearview mirror headlight sensors, steering wheel tilt stuck, etc. I can definitely appreciate German engineering and was impressed with the mechanical side of the car. I couldn't believe they made it hook up so well. It was ultimately the electronics that turned me away from the car. Who knows? Maybe I got a bad one. In my cobra, I went from a 4.6L 4V with a 1.2L eaton to a 2.3L whipple and neither one was hot to the touch after about 2 hrs of sitting in the parking lot at work. I got to work in the morning and parked my E55 at about 7:00AM, at about 10:30AM, I took a friend out to show him my new E55. We pop the hood and what do you know, the supercharger is still very hot to the touch! 3&1/2 hrs later. Anyway, I got rid of it and got a Shelby GT500. I've got it lightly modified and it's pushing about 540 to the rear wheels. The engine is very similiar to the E55 engine. Almost identical 5.4L 3V E55 twin screw, 5.4L 4V roots type blower. Long story short...I'm tired of the Shelby and want a new toy. I look on the above website and see that the E55 IS THE FASTEST SEDAN IN AMERICA-STILL!. It is ranked waaayyyy above the RS6 and the E60 M5. I was really considering the RS6 and the M5 but in looking at this, the E is the clear winner. Granted testing conditions are not taken into consideration. Bottom line for me is: which is fastest stock? which is easier (read cheaper) to mod? which has the most potential hp without upgrading internal engine components? Which one will be fastest with about 10K invested in them? Please honest answers only. And...is it surprising to see that a 1969 Hemi beats the saleen S7 and the Enzo in the 1/4? I thought so

Last edited by turbineexpert; 05-19-2008 at 09:10 PM.