W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electronic Transmission Control Module (ETC)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55
Electronic Transmission Control Module (ETC)

What do you think AMG Techs?

I have a 04' E55 w/53k mi. & Kleemann K1.(modified at 14K mi. by Nash @ ATL Classic Cars ) I have kept up on the service, but recently my baby started shifting odd into 2nd gear(all modes M/C/S). There is a very slight hesitaton...then a light thump(I can feel it in the driver's seat). I took it to the MB dealership in NC and the Mechanic said he could not be sure(80% sure) without flashing the ECM! He thinks it is the Electronic Transmission Control Module (ETC), valve body, or the K1 module...so what is your "expert" opinion... If I go with the MB it going to hit me for $2,500(about the cost of some kleemann headers I have been saving for "Darn"!

I would like to hear from you if you have had this problem or have some expert advice

Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails Electronic Transmission Control Module (ETC)-smith-s-005-medium-.jpg   Electronic Transmission Control Module (ETC)-im000163-medium-.jpg  
Old 05-20-2008, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
I would cover the basics first but sounds like it could be something more.

Have you tried clearing tranny adaptations (sneaky ECU reset)

Who knows...if it saved you 2500$, then why not.

Sneaky ECU thread

I am learning these cars can get into a "funk". Meaning ECU tries so hard to learn our driving style, sometimes it sets up very strange and has to be cleared.

Bout all I have on that one. I would try tranny TCU flash as first on the fixing list. Should be cake to do but of course they will charge you out the a**.

If you wanna turn a wrench, a battery disconnect would be my last shot before I spent 2500$. You're call though. DO NOT DISCONNECT battery with keyless go key in your pocket. Make sure it's away from the car.

Last edited by Jakpro1; 05-20-2008 at 04:26 PM.